Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Gaming Rig ~$1000

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2011 7:25:32 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This Summer, as soon as today though.

Budget Range: up to ~$1000 obviously trying to get most bang for the buck

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Photo editing, everything else.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse(optional, wouldn't mind a new one if budget allows), Monitors, Video Card.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: TigerDirect or Amazon or whatever is cheapest, I'm in TN so I have to pay tax on newegg.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: I'm hoping to go with the i7 2600k, but I'd look into i5s as well

Overclocking: I always want to say yes, but I never, ever do it. Maybe with the community here I would feel comfortable enough.

SLI or Crossfire: No, possibly in the future, but I see no need right now since the game I play primarily doesn't support SLI

Monitor Resolution: Dual 1920 x 1080 Monitors

Additional Comments:
I primarily play Everquest. I have 8 gigs of DDR2 RAM right now with CL4 and it was a nice set of memory, but obviously going to DDR3 changes everything, so I figure I may as well get 16 gigs since it's not too expensive anyway. Obviously if I can get more in, why not! Currently my E8500 system is only capable of running 3 effectively before the processor chokes so horribly it's pegged at 100% and framerate is sub 30. But I am going to be running 6-8 accounts constantly on it and last night was able to load up 8 on my i5 laptop, so I'm hoping to get at least the capability to run 8-10 accounts that way I have some wiggle if I need to do some streaming of netflix while I'm playing. I also do some graphic design stuff just for fun, but even the system I'm running now allows an amazing work experience for that, it's just not up to snuff on the gaming side. Each instance of Everquest takes about 750 megs of RAM if not closer to 1 gig, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

I have the Logitech G15 keyboard, and I like it, but my mouse is the MXrevolution and I wouldn't mind getting a wired mouse and using the Revolution for hooking up to the laptop.

I would love it if my PC isn't overly loud, but honestly I'm trying to get the best performance for my dollar(like everyone else). If I could come in around 750 that'd be amazing too, and make my wife all that much happier! I'm selling my old rig off for 500 to my in laws, so I have some wiggle in the budget if I need to go over 1000. Being that I primarily play an older game on my computer you guys may be able to guide me in a way that would allow me to come in way under a grand, who knows.

More about : gaming rig 1000

Best solution

June 7, 2011 7:28:37 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... Bam $520 and your done if you already have the video card. Just add more ram to this build.
June 7, 2011 8:59:26 PM

But if I just wanted to go with the i7 because it'd last me longer, should I just swap the processor and add the RAM?
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2011 9:01:37 PM

What is your reasoning on the i7 lasting you longer? Not to sound like a jerk, I am just wondering.
m
l
June 7, 2011 9:42:11 PM

Is not as if the i7/2600 is much faster/better than i5-2500; slightly more on-die cache, 100 more MHz (hypothetically, a 1/33rd increase to...3.4 GHz), and hyperthreading (insignificant for 99% of most games)....

The 2500k's performance is VERY near that of the 2600k...; for $100 less, the 2500k is the logical choice for 99% of most gaming builders.
m
l
June 7, 2011 9:57:28 PM

Hyperthreading. For most it doesn't matter, but for me, it acts as another core entirely, and my game of choice can run on one of those HT cores just fine. That's why, cause While 4 cores can run 8, as I proved last night on my laptop, that's about it's limit, with the 8 cores, I can literally run 12, I know one guy who has loaded as many as 14 without falling below 30FPS. I think I would hit the ceiling of the i5 significantly before the i7. Even if it's only a difference in a computer keeping me happy 4 years instead of 3 (as my dual core has) 100 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to building a new rig a year earlier.
m
l
June 8, 2011 1:28:46 AM

Best answer selected by iloxygenil.
m
l
June 8, 2011 1:38:25 AM

mgf derp said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... Bam $520 and your done if you already have the video card. Just add more ram to this build.

Best reply so far, but I do not like the p67 motherboard. Obviously the memory is going to be removed anyway and new memory bought, so that's not really an issue. I'm pretty well sold on the i7 after talking to my friends who also play the game. Hyperthreading really will help with the loading of that many instances. Yes the i5 will run 6, but as I get to 8-10 the i7 really starts to out shine it according to people with the i7, and they're not even running the sandy bridge version of the processors.

I need more help I guess. Any one else have any suggestions? I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

But the motherboard there also seems kinda lack luster to me. Any suggestions?
m
l
!