Dell Dimension E521 AMD64 turns on but can't get to screen

carl07866

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hello,
I have a 4 1/2 year old Dell Dimension E521 AMD64. It turns on but can't get anything to display on the monitor. Monitor works. When PC turns on it makes a constant humming sound, different from the normal start of up. Also, a 3 and 4 appear lit up on the front of the CPU. Happened about a week ago.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
hi, i think thats a memory issue. Try taking the ram out and try to boot with individual sticks of ram. Try different slots etc. if still no joy try a known working ram stick. Report back

If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer

Dan

inerax

Distinguished
If you are getting a humming sound then open the case and see where it is coming from. is it the HDD? Case fan? CPU Fan?

i agree with the Memory issue....

also, are you using a on board video or discreet card? if it is a card, pull the card and move to on board if you have it.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

all after youve tried the memory issue. most likely the cause then if not follow what he said