Install wireless card

confused_46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Hello,
How do I install internet wireless card, where do I locate this inside my laptop. I have a toshiba satellite A505-56980

G

First check the specs for this computer -- most new ones include wireless as standard. If it's not working check whether there's a switch or Fn key combination required (see manual which may be on CD that came with computer or on Toshiba website))

No-- okay, check the hatches underneath for what's called a mini-PCI socket

illustration is a little way down this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

I would advise buying exactly the model of adapter normally installed, some brands of laptop are very fussy about what you attach.

Alternatively buy a USB or PCMCIA type wireless adapter.

confused_46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I bought a USB adapter and my computer would not recognize it, I'm thinking there may be a problme in the motherboard. If the wireless card inside the laptop is out would the USB work if its not?

First check the specs for this computer -- most new ones include wireless as standard. If it's not working check whether there's a switch or Fn key combination required (see manual which may be on CD that came with computer or on Toshiba website))

No-- okay, check the hatches underneath for what's called a mini-PCI socket

illustration is a little way down this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI

I would advise buying exactly the model of adapter normally installed, some brands of laptop are very fussy about what you attach.

Alternatively buy a USB or PCMCIA type wireless adapter.

G

"If the wireless card inside the laptop is out would the USB work if its not?"

What's wrong with that sentence ? Never mind -- the computer should be able to support two wireless cards.

Is the USB socket okay with other USB devices ?

confused_46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
The USB is ok with other devices, not the wireless USB.

"If the wireless card inside the laptop is out would the USB work if its not?"

What's wrong with that sentence ? Never mind -- the computer should be able to support two wireless cards.

Is the USB socket okay with other USB devices ?

G

Are you sure that's the inbuilt wireless is not working ? It's usually just a driver issue. Go to Toshiba support site (or if it's Intel wireless, look on the Intel site)

G

"Driver is fine, is the wireless in the motherboard by any chance?"

Suspect that depends on the model of computer -- my aged Dell has a mini-PCI socket but I'm certain newer models have it on the motherboard. This shouldn't affect how the driver works, once you identify the wireless maker (like Intel or Broadcom).

I appreciate that you may have tried getting it to work -- and it seems a reasonable assumption that its failure is affecting whether you can use a USB type (though most computers can support multiple network adapters).

If you have exhausted common sense approach it may be time to ask Toshiba for an answer.

confused_46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I have called Toshiba help desk and they want $35 an hr to talk over the phone about this problem, so I'm doing my best do figure it out on my own. I bought this just last year and the warranty just expired....wishing I had bought the extended warranty! Have any idea what a motherboard cost?

G

Next best thing, try a repair guy though they too may demand money upfront before looking at the machine.

I am surprised that US buyers are so lacking in consumer protection. Under UK and many European laws, the dealer still has responsibility long after the maker's warranty expires. Many makers in UK (used to anyway) offer free informal support after warranty. This idea of charging fairly serious money just to talk to you is vicious and I would not buy from Toshiba US again.