Build PC with Asus P8P67Pro & Corei7 2600K

jraj90

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hello,

I am planning on building my own PC. I am not a gamer, but mostly gonna be installing Linux and running VMWare with a possible of 6-7 VMs (Windows, Linux, Solaris)

Below are the specs I have in mind:-

Intel Core i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro B3
Mushkin Redline 1866 CL9 8GB RAM
W.D 2TB 64MB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 HDD
Asus ENGT430 Graphics
CoolerMaster Xtreme 550W PSU
CoolerMaster Elite 430 Casing

Just would like to know if the spec is sufficient, or is it gonna be under utilized for my stuff

Thanks

Regards

Solution

+1

I would like to see a better PSU in there tho. As the Cooler Master eXtreme 550W is not the best...

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
1. Get i5 2500K,
2. Z68 board-Asus P8Z68-V or above,
3. Spend a little more on graphics-NVIDIA 560 Ti or AMD 6950.
4. Maybe a 80Gb (preferably 120Gb) Sandforce based SSD for OS/programs such as OCZ Vertex 3. Crucial M4 also has good performance or Intel SSD for reliability,
5. A solid CPU cooler in place of stock.
6. 8Gb 1600 RAM is cheaper such as G Skill or Corsair. You won't notice a difference.

IMO, it would be a better balanced rig.

Good luck.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
hunuok, did you read what this pc will be used for?
No need for a gaming graphics or even the low end graphics here, even the HD3000 will be good for runing virtual machines. Better spend the extra cash on more RAM and noo need for that high clock. I have to agree with hunuok here, you won't notice the difference if you buy 1600 or even 1333 .
i7 in this case is worth spending the extra cash (again, no gaming reasons!) since it is a better multitasking cpu and that is what you need for running virtual machines. Games don't benefit from more than 4 cores, but running virtual machines does benefit.

+1

I would like to see a better PSU in there tho. As the Cooler Master eXtreme 550W is not the best: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-550-W-Power-Supply-Review/969
It has low efficiency; the highest efficiency shown in that review was 77%, cannot provide its stated wattage (albeit it only misses out by 50W according to HWS).

GT430s are not power hungry at all with a TDP of 49W. So I think if something like an Antec Earthwatts EA-380D can be found, hopefully it won't be much/any more expensive than the CM eXtreme but it will be much higher quality.

Solution

jraj90

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hey guys, thanks everyone for the tips.

Yeah this PC i am planning on building will be more utilized for Virtualization. Games maybe once in a while or maybe none at all. Initially I thought of getting the Asus Sabertooth P67 Mobo, but I realize it wasn't necessary and I am not getting much extra features compared to the P8P67, in fact the P8P67 has BT capability and comes cheaper. But, somehow Sabertooth 'sounds' cooler.

As for the PSU, the options I have is quite limited in Malaysia. The brands that I can find here are CoolerMaster, Acbel, Corsair, Silverstone & Gigabyte.

I also probably need to get a better fan for the CPU, as the original one comes with the 2600K is not suitable for overclocking, and some extra fans for within the casing.

On the RAMs, I did read some nice reviews about Mushkin, and thats why I choose that. But between Mushkin, Corsair & Kingston, is it safe to say the Mushkin is the best?