Help me out choosing a motherboard really fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghov

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Yo!

So I had a M4A89GTD PRO USB3 motherboard, but upon installing a sound card and rewiring, I screwed something up and some smoke came out the top of my case. I installed everything over again and tried starting up, but while the graphics card and sound card get warm, the case fans spin, and all the proper lights come on, it doesn't start up, it just sits there humming with nothing appearing on the screen. However, the only thing not noticeably working is the CPU cooler, which the fan on top doesn't turn on. But when I opened the case up again and looked at the CPU, there was nothing Visibly wrong with it - nothing burned, bent, etc., so I'm ASSUMING there's a problem with the motherboard. If anyone has any tips or any help as for what I can do about more troubleshooting or if I'm missing something, please let me know. But until then, I'm looking into buying a new motherboard.

I can't decide between these:
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 (Going with the UD5 because UD3 isn't enough and UD7 is too little for so much of a price difference.)
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (exact price as the gigabyte, I'm having a hard time comparing these two.)

This are the main components I'll be using it with:
EVGA 550TI
Phenom II X4 965
Antec 902 case (got a nice black and blue color scheme goin with my Razer DeathAdder and Alienware TactX Keyboard)
Some crappy monitor, looking to upgrade to hdmi soon
Sennheiser PC 350 headset

If any other specs are needed I can list, but I don't see why you would really need to know anything else.

This will be used almost exclusively for gaming and internet - with a tiny but of video editing, but not much else at all.

Lastly, the Crosshair V seems like an obvious choice as more money = more features and quality, but I really don't want to spend the extra money on the Crosshair unless someone points out how amazing or better than the others it is for the price difference. I kinda have a "budget build" going anyway.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.