PC will not stay on.

jamesrizzle

Honorable
May 21, 2012
So I am trying to repair a Dell inspiron 531 with the AMD Sempron™ processor. It was brought to me because it was shutting down for no reason. I figured maybe it was dirty (over-heating) knowing it comes from a home with animals. So i opened it up and it was very dirty, I cleaned it without removing any components, powered it on and it stayed on long enough to boot up.....windows loaded.....then it just shuts off. All the fans are functioning well.So i removed the GPU, ram ect...cleaned them up and checked for damage...they appear fine, no burns, smells, or bubbled compositors.Same goes for the motherboard.
Now I re-assemble the machine, power it on and bam goes right back off...then it will turn back on, then off,on and off, until i disconnect the power cable. And it is passing the POST test. So i thought maybe it was the PSU, so i swapped it for a spare, that i know works, and still the same thing, on then back off. O.K I thought maybe Windows is corrupt or the hard drive is dying..so I tried to just boot to a repair disk, still just shuts off....and sometimes won't power up right away when i hit the power button. So I figured the only thing I have not removed was the CPU, so I removed the CPU cleaned it up and inspected for burnt pins..but the chip was pristine. But I did notice very, very light brown marks on the socket.I re-seated the heat-sink with fresh compound and mounted the fan....still, on, off. Now I am thinkin possibly the motherboard is toast, seeing how all of the components (with the exception of the CPU) Work outside of that box. I am puzzled, would appreciate any input.

mti_32

Honorable
May 14, 2012

ok how long does it take to shut down????1min -1hrs so on

mti_32

Honorable
May 14, 2012
it sound like to me it could be the hard drive , lay the computer on its side and star it and see how long it says on and let me know

i got to take a shower so ill be up for 30min

jamesrizzle

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I tried booting to setup in bios. I can get in there, sometimes long enough to move around a bit, but soon followed by a crash. Booting to CD-ROM also crashes. Something is failing and I am suspecting it's not a peripheral device.

mti_32

Honorable
May 14, 2012
it sound like a bad motherboard or cpu

going into bios by passes everything but video i beleve ,is the video card ok, is everything seated properly
have u tryed reseting the motherboard

jamesrizzle

Honorable
May 21, 2012
The video card is fine but it will still shutdown using the stock integrated video as well. Everything is seated correctly (quadruple checked) and i even swapped all of the components(besides the CPU) into another box and they were fine.

jamesrizzle

Honorable
May 21, 2012
So I took a gamble and bought a new motherboard (it was only 30$)....Installed it powered it up and it runs perfect, Windows loads...i let it run for about a half hour.....no problem. So I shut it down.....let it sit for a while....and what do you know it turns itself back on then shuts down. So I hit the power button and it is playing the same game again....on then off..wtf! So thinking maybe the processor is bad....or could the power switch cause this behavior?