PC will not stay on.

So I am trying to repair a Dell inspiron 531 with the AMD Sempron™ processor. It was brought to me because it was shutting down for no reason. I figured maybe it was dirty (over-heating) knowing it comes from a home with animals. So i opened it up and it was very dirty, I cleaned it without removing any components, powered it on and it stayed on long enough to boot up.....windows loaded.....then it just shuts off. All the fans are functioning well.So i removed the GPU, ram ect...cleaned them up and checked for damage...they appear fine, no burns, smells, or bubbled compositors.Same goes for the motherboard.
Now I re-assemble the machine, power it on and bam goes right back off...then it will turn back on, then off,on and off, until i disconnect the power cable. And it is passing the POST test. So i thought maybe it was the PSU, so i swapped it for a spare, that i know works, and still the same thing, on then back off. O.K I thought maybe Windows is corrupt or the hard drive is dying..so I tried to just boot to a repair disk, still just shuts off....and sometimes won't power up right away when i hit the power button. So I figured the only thing I have not removed was the CPU, so I removed the CPU cleaned it up and inspected for burnt pins..but the chip was pristine. But I did notice very, very light brown marks on the socket.I re-seated the heat-sink with fresh compound and mounted the fan....still, on, off. Now I am thinkin possibly the motherboard is toast, seeing how all of the components (with the exception of the CPU) Work outside of that box. I am puzzled, would appreciate any input.
13 answers Last reply
More about stay
  1. jamesrizzle said:
    So I am trying to repair a Dell inspiron 531 with the AMD Sempron™ processor. It was brought to me because it was shutting down for no reason. I figured maybe it was dirty (over-heating) knowing it comes from a home with animals. So i opened it up and it was very dirty, I cleaned it without removing any components, powered it on and it stayed on long enough to boot up.....windows loaded.....then it just shuts off. All the fans are functioning well.So i removed the GPU, ram ect...cleaned them up and checked for damage...they appear fine, no burns, smells, or bubbled compositors.Same goes for the motherboard.
    Now I re-assemble the machine, power it on and bam goes right back off...then it will turn back on, then off,on and off, until i disconnect the power cable. And it is passing the POST test. So i thought maybe it was the PSU, so i swapped it for a spare, that i know works, and still the same thing, on then back off. O.K I thought maybe Windows is corrupt or the hard drive is dying..so I tried to just boot to a repair disk, still just shuts off....and sometimes won't power up right away when i hit the power button. So I figured the only thing I have not removed was the CPU, so I removed the CPU cleaned it up and inspected for burnt pins..but the chip was pristine. But I did notice very, very light brown marks on the socket.I re-seated the heat-sink with fresh compound and mounted the fan....still, on, off. Now I am thinkin possibly the motherboard is toast, seeing how all of the components (with the exception of the CPU) Work outside of that box. I am puzzled, would appreciate any input.

ok how long does it take to shut down????1min -1hrs so on
  2. Sometimes seconds...won't stay on for no more than a couple of minutes so.
  3. it sound like to me it could be the hard drive , lay the computer on its side and star it and see how long it says on and let me know

i got to take a shower so ill be up for 30min
  4. It booted, but promptly shut down.....Could it be the hard drive, even though it won't stay on even in the setup utility...before windows tries to boot?
  5. I would say motherboard have you looked on the back of motherboard?
  6. No did not remove the motherboard.....but will do..keep ya posted.
  7. I pulled the Mobo out...the back looked fine...a bit dirty, but looked ok. But there is that little brown spot on the CPU socket............
  8. that cluld be the problem -

but also try booting it in bios and see if it crashes

ill be up for anther 25min
  9. I tried booting to setup in bios. I can get in there, sometimes long enough to move around a bit, but soon followed by a crash. Booting to CD-ROM also crashes. Something is failing and I am suspecting it's not a peripheral device.
  10. it sound like a bad motherboard or cpu

going into bios by passes everything but video i beleve ,is the video card ok, is everything seated properly
    have u tryed reseting the motherboard
  11. The video card is fine but it will still shutdown using the stock integrated video as well. Everything is seated correctly (quadruple checked) and i even swapped all of the components(besides the CPU) into another box and they were fine.
  12. I did not think about resetting the motherboard, will give it a try. But sometimes it stays on long enough for the BIOS to load.
  13. So I took a gamble and bought a new motherboard (it was only 30$)....Installed it powered it up and it runs perfect, Windows loads...i let it run for about a half hour.....no problem. So I shut it down.....let it sit for a while....and what do you know it turns itself back on then shuts down. So I hit the power button and it is playing the same game again....on then off..wtf! So thinking maybe the processor is bad....or could the power switch cause this behavior?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards