Is it reasonable to think I can have my computer last for 10 years ?

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Hi,

In January 2011 I was given a brand new Acer Aspire M3910, intel i7 870 processor, 450g 7200rpm Sata harddrive, Nvidia GT 320 video card. It has windows 7 64 bit on it. I presently am only using 296g of the hard drive space and don't plan on downloading a lot of music. I also have an external hard drive that I use for storage of photos and videos I make.

I am the sole user of this computer. I was playing some video games but at this point I have outgrown video gaming altogether and doubt I will play any if much at all ever again. At this point I am using my computer for email, surfing the web that is about it.

What I am wondering is if it is reasonable to expect that I could have my computer last for 10 years. I realize that at some point microsoft will stop making updates for windows 7 (once they release windows 8 and so on) but aside from having to possibly upgrade the OS is it reasonable to think that I could have my computer last 10 years?

I have a Wang APC on a desk that has been operating since 1985. I have a P300 server w/ SCSI Hard Drives that I use as a file server in my office that has been running since "the last millenium" (1999). However, neither machine is useful for performing modern day tasks.

Upgrading an OS is always a bad idea. In all of history, every MS OS has been slower than any OS before it on the same hardware.

Hardware wise, it's very unusual for a machine using everyday "consumer" rather than professional grade components to last more than 3 -5 years without at least 1 or 2 components failing. In my experience, things that go in order of "most often" are:

Optical Drives
Hard Drives
PSU's

An old slot A Athlon 650 I built in mid-99 still runs fine....

luck of the draw, hard to predict what component may/might not fail in a 10 yr span, but it is possible it could work fine for that time for basic surfing/email duties...

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Keeping a system in it's original configuration for ten years with me around is so highly unlikely I would say <b>NO!</b> if you knew me. As it is I have to bet against it if for no other reason but the likelihood of the above mentioned component fails.

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

So say one or more of those components does fail and I replace them that would still be a lot cheaper than buying a new system... I suppose I will have to wait and see... thanks.