Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overclockable Motherboard vs. Non-overclockable Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2012 4:52:01 AM

So I'm thinking about building a computer this summer, but I'm not sure which motherboard I should get right now...

Originally, I was thinking about overclocking, but now I don't feel like risking money for little performance. I will not be able to afford to buy new CPU, motherboard, etc once I fried original parts. So, I'm pretty sure I will not overclock for a while. However, I'm not sure if I should buy a overclockable CPU and motherboard for the future... They are only about $70 more expressive in total.

So, what do you guys think? Should I get a overclockable CPU and motherboard? Or just go for non-overclockable CPU and motherboard? I will use them mostly for programming and some graphic rendering. Not too much gaming for sure (Getting Radeon HD 6870 for VGA).

Can you guys recommend which CPU (either i5-3550 or i5-3570k) I should buy and what motherboard I should get for each CPU?

Thanks!

Other specs:
RAM: G.Skills Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
VGA: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB
SDD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB
PSU: OCZ ModXtreme 600W

Best solution

May 22, 2012 12:28:03 PM

I'm not sure what your future upgrade budget might look like, but the "risk for little performance" is just not true with current generation Intel CPUs. The rewards are huge, the risks are very minimal. If you are really nervous about it just make sure to get a board like an ASUS that comes with in windows software that holds your hand through the process. You don't have to jump to overclocking it right away either...watch some videos, read some articles, modern overclocking is really not that difficult. The one thing you will want to add before you start overclocking is an aftermarket CPU cooler like the super affordable Hyper 212+, but you can do this later if you wish as well. (just keep in mind that if you want to put it in later your case will need a hole behind the mobo tray for a bracket, or you will have to remove the mobo to install).

CPU, I would go with the 3570k
mobo, have a look at ASUS P8Z77-V LX, a fine board, though they have some that are more affordable as well.

IMO, if you don't take advantage of the really easily overclocked Intel CPUs of today you are wasting money, and the adventure that its building your own PC.
May 23, 2012 6:32:18 PM

Best answer selected by kaisare.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2012 10:11:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!