Hitachi Vs. 1800fp

Tristan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I am sorry that I keep asking this question, it is just obvious that you guyz know much more about the issue than i do, and I don't want to do anything foolish..
In any case I am still debating my lcd purchase (I want to order something tomorrow or on the 12th) . I was all set up to buy the hitachi, but then I read on another forum that the dell 1800fp can be bought for 480-500$ that's 75-95$ cheaper than the hitachi and 1" bigger.
All i want to know is if there is someone here that actually compared the two...as I said before, I am a casual player/movie watcher, and I use my computer 80-90% of the time for 2d applications. However, as i know myself, if i will start a divx movie and see ghosting I will not be pleased. To me it seems that if the it would be wise to save the extra 100$ and get a bigger screen. But i would like someone to confirm that the 1800fp is not a dud.

I read good reviews about the dell in cnet, anandtech.com and on other sites. However the dell spec are 350:1 contrast, 30 ms, and 0.28 pixel size....This dosent sound too good to me, but again I never owned an LCD....

Please help me decide...
~T

paapaa333

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
after a very all-out research and a interview from Hitachi
finland personel...i decided not to take Samsung 191t because of the 25 ms response time...so i bought Hitachi 174
with 16 ms and its great even with UT2003 and 1942:Road To Rome....i had 19" crt and 174´s viewable area is allmost
same as in the 19" crt...but!!!! eventough i had in the 19" crt 100hz it made my eyes tired...but not any more :)
folks!!! just buy the Hitachi and when a 19" tft with 16ms or under response time arrives...THEN lets think again...
i work in IT business all day long...so i know better than
for example user "oskis" what is a good monitor...

kyuss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
@paapaa333: hi. and what do you think about the colors? aren't your human skin colors too red and unnatural for example? mine are, and i don't think that's too good. i tried to adjust it but no luck yet.
so my conclusion, after 3 weeks of use, is that if u want the monitor for designing, don't buy it. colors are extremely unnatural, dark is too dark while bright is too bright. i wish i change my mind with some driver adjustments.
cheers.

paapaa333

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
hi kyuss...i have to admin that if i would use my Hitachi for designing...i would think twice :) i have noticed too
that dark is dark ....just like u said...and i havent watched films yet...so i can only say things about gaming...if i wouldnt play so much i would buy Samsung 191T
...unfortinately i have lost the Hitachi driver link...just wait..hmm...-->http://www.hitachidisplays.com/support/product_support.shtml if thats not going to help...thats bad :(

kyuss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
hello again, paapaa333.
i tried those drivers some days ago, but my winxp just won't recognise them... anyone had any luck installing some hitachi cml174 drivers in winxp?
=)

kyuss

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
ok, i was trying to install the drivers wrong. now i've installed them right, but don't apreciate any visual difference from the plug and play ones.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hey guess what! I work in the IT business too, I make $30 an hour over the summer and I'm 16. Just b/c you work as an IT personnel doesn't mean you know much about LCD's- you may need to know a very tiny bit if at all, that in itself does not qualify your judgement more than another person's, and imo, it'd rather unintelligent to take 1 (one) person's advice as hard fact. This will often lead to problems. Now that I've said that, I personally don't think too highly of the CML174- yes it has a 16ms response time which is fast, but there have been numerous complaints of its bad viewing angles (140º/140º, not 160 as the specs claim) and also incorrect/ unrealistic colors. Considering he'll be spending a good amount of money on this monitor, he should get one which will satisfy him- this monitor doesn't seem to have done that for a lot of people. Companies will release new LCD's soon that are better than the CML174 (perhaps I'll buy a 20.1' or 23' then). BTW, my 17" FE791 SB @ 116Hz refresh rate at 1024x768 dosn't seem to give me eyestrain, and I'm really, reeally picky. I find in many cases lcd's give more eyestrain b/c their higher brightness.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
Just because you never tried you have no idea who good the monitor is, so if I were you I would save up all the negative feedback about things that you never owned or tried.

Colors are all realistic and viewing angles are fine too,

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, I haven't owned it but I do check the forums many times daily and read what people write. Oftentimes people will overlook the negatives of what they have bought simply because they have bought it and don't want to admit fault. This evident in many places, so when 5 people tell me they have issues with viewing angle and 1 tells me it's fine, I tenf to beleive the 5.

- Mario Andretti

paapaa333

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
dear flamethrower205...first i have to say that its really
childishly done when you say how much money you earn..when
you are older i hope you realize that its wisely done when
you get money but wont advertise that :) btw who cares how old u r :)...you are still a child and have not for many years an adults angle to things...and you shouldnt believe
what people say...try youself before judging...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Do you think I really care if people know how much I make right now? It doesn't matter, I mean that's a by the way thing anyway. I am quite aware not to share my salary when I am older, especially since in the field I may work you can get sued for sharing such info. Now you have contradicted yourself. First you say age doesn't matter then you call me an inexperienced child. I think given how long I have been in these forums, I have amassed much knowledge on technology. When several people tell me the same thing and it seems to be justified by technological specifications (for example the viewing angle w/ the CML174) I'll beleive them. People have biased opinions- what you own you will look at more leniently so face it.

- Mario Andretti

zlcd

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
If you are truly 16, then I assume you go to high school, where you feel miserable because you are just a nerd whose life experience ends in technology area and has no idea that there are other good things in life.

I went through a few posts and everywhere I go I see your posts. I still remember your endless talk how "FDD is just around the corner... Envision will release first monitor in October, blah blah blah " anyway, there is more to life then your computer... learn to enjoy it and appreceate it.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Thank you, I am knowledgeable about comps. However, I do get outside, for example I have earned several gold medals in shotput, races (4x200 and 100m), discus, and currently going for hammer and javelin. I do get out fyi, generally during vacations I don't come back till 3:00 am or so, sometimes stay out all night, and spend much of my days biking w/ friends, etc. I don't feel miserable at all, I love my life. Currently I am entered in Intel international competition and JSHS competition b/c my work with quantum computing and optimization, so I'd have to say the outlook looks pretty good, and on average I spend ~2 hours/ night studying, the rest is hanging out or playing games. Perhaps what u say is coming from someone who themselves is a nerd and hates life?

- Mario Andretti