Sign in with
Your question

PC refuses to remain in Sleep/Hibernation mode...

Last response: in Windows 7
December 7, 2011 5:17:13 PM

I recently formatted, and since, my pc refuses to remain in Sleep/Hibernation mode. When I select the option in the start menu, my pc does its thing, once it enters sleep/hibernation, it instantly powers back up. I have changed nothing to my pc's hardware since the format, and this issue never occurred before hand.

Some of the things I have tried are making sure the power management setting were correct. I also hard reset my motherboards cmos to manufacturer settings.

The above seemed to make no difference. I am clueless to why this problem suddenly appeared proceeding a format. Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix the issue?
a c 255 $ Windows 7
December 7, 2011 6:24:45 PM

Sounds like some service or application is "waking" the system back up. Check those and see if you can identify the culprit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 7, 2011 6:34:16 PM

I recommend a good 2X4 to keep a computer sleeping :)  Yosemite Sam had the right idea when his horse wouldn't do what he wanted.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2011 6:38:21 PM

You can change what wakes it back up. Try turning off the mouse (and enable the keyboard) and vice versa. Also disable network activity.
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
December 7, 2011 6:42:32 PM

Check out the power management settings for Network Card, WiFi, Modem,one of these might be the culprit!
m
l
December 7, 2011 7:13:56 PM

I did read about network cards being the possible cause to these issues, but figured it probably wasn't the case given that nothing different was done between one format to another. However, the network card WAS the issue, it seems to be one option in particular under Wake on Lan - Wake on pattern match. I disabled all the options and went about checking a box one at a time until I found which was the problem. It's odd however, but maybe it's due to the new network adapter driver... Oh well thanks once again tom's hardware!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 7, 2011 7:23:52 PM

For future reference, if the system wakes like that.

Run cmd.exe(or just start search for cmd)

Type in

powercfg -lastwake

This will tell you what woke the system up last. I know media center does not like to stay sleeping because it wants to update it self(i just had to tell the service to not wake the system).
m
l
!