580 OR 590

vflflyer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I am hoping I can find some good answers to my question!

I want to go with a three monitor (high resolution 3D Surround) setup for "Flight Sim" and possibly other newer games I might want to try. Am I better off getting the 590 card which has 3 DVI ports or the the 580 which only has two DVI ports?

Should I go Sli with either one of these configurations as to balance out stress, if so I would think the 580's would be better at least for my wallet?

Also my main function with this computer I want to build is Adobe Master Suite CS5 Then Flight Sim.

Any advise would be helpful.

thanks

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
You can't do surround with ONE gtx 580, you have to have an sli system. The gtx 590 is TWO gpu's on one pcb board, allowing you to do surround. This is a first time thing for nivida. If I was you, I would go with a gtx 590, its cheaper, and you can do surround out of the box.

I don't know if you were talking about sli with the gtx 580, but you would have to, to be able to do surround with that card.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well I'm not exactly sure but after reading a little about the GTX590, it isn't exactly two 580's on one board, on one of Nvidia's websites it said it was 50% more powerful, but since it has 1024 cores and the 580 is the only card with 512cores...this means the 590 is made up of two heavily underclocked 580's. So what this brings me up to is that according to what I've read, which I don't know is true or not, an SLI configuration of two 580's (Stock Clocked) would be significantly more powerful than a single 590 (Stock Clocked). So if you can get two 580's cheaper than a single 590, i'd go for the 580s so more performance for your flight sim.

And for a Adobe CS5 suite, make sure you have plenty of ram and fast ram also, and a solid CPU...a VERY solid cpu.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Exactly, isn't that how it always is with dual gpu cards? Its usually just 2 older GPU's on one board under clocked.

And yeah, for the CS5 you'll need a high end cpu, and lots of ram.

I7 plus.

vflflyer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
are you building a new rig? If so what platform?

Here is what I am thinking,

1. Asus P8P67 Deluxe
2. i7 2600k CPU
3. 2 new 580's (sli) or one new 275 to match the card I already have and run those in sli an save some money?
4. I would like to stay with the TT case I already have.

Not sure what size PSU I would need if I use the 275's in sli, but i am think of getting a 1000W maybe for future upgrades.

Putting together a system and trying to save some money is not an easy task.

I still need to buy 3 monitors and that will cost me a pretty penny

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Yep the gtx 590 is so underclocked, it performs like 570's in sli which was not the benchmarking news we were waiting for.

I would suggest like matto17 said, I would go with the 590 and overclock as high as you can(without blowing it up of course). Less powerful but cheaper but serously do we need that power?

1) The ram you selected is fine, but get a 16gb(4 x 4gb) kit to insure compatibility between the sticks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231312

2) You need to get a GTX590, or go sli with a second 275, or sell the 275 and get a pair of new cards. I think I would try 2 GTX560ti, or GTX570 and sell the 275. The price/performance premium for dual GTX580 is steep, but if you can afford it, go for it.

3) A quality psu of 900w or so should do the job. Quality units will deliver the full advertised power continuoush=ly, not just at peak. Corsair, PC P&C, Seasonic, and Antec are good units.
The PC P&C silencer 910 is one of the better units:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703022

GTX 590 old blue smoke and sparks. Don't get that card and there are plenty of threads online so just write it off as a failure. There is even a video of one failing on camera.

Two 580 or nothing in that segment unless ati and they have their own problems. It has been some years since there has been a time like this ware both are pushing crappy cards depending on certain aspects such as drivers or in Nvidia's case bricked cards. The GTX 570 is also known to blow it's power vrm due to lack of cooling and the vrm mosfet stages being overloaded. The 560ti is more of a safe bet but is no ware near the best solution out there. 6950 is having a lot of issues and the 6990 is far from perfect as any one who has been around long enough to have a few years under their belt would know that dual gpu cards don't last very long.

vflflyer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for the link on the ram (16gb (4x4gb))

Better than constant driver issues or worse a bricked card. Nvidia has sunk to new lows and ATI's crappy drivers are not making it any better for the rest. :(

A single gtx 460 and a dedicated 8800gt.

No arguments with the two GTX 560's, in fact I think that's one of the better setups to have. I did want to say, I think the GTX 590's blowing up is a bit overhyped considering the majority of reviews are overclocking the card with no problems. Hardware Heaven even did a GTX 590 OC vs. 6990 OC article and were very impressed with the GTX 590's ability to overclock and the fact that updated drivers solved several issues seen in most of the initial reviews.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1140/pg1/point-of-view-nvidia-geforce-gtx-590-oc-vs-radeon-6990-oc-introduction.html

So, don't fear the 590, and if you want to overclock one, use the latest drivers and don't mess with the voltage.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Ugh.. Learn to read reviews, seriously. It not a bad card, its the fastest card on earth, its amazing. The reason why the blew up is because they were using OLD beta DRIVERS, which didn't have a safety feature that shut off the card when overvolted; thus, the memory chips blew up.

Back to topic, if you want surround "without sli" (meaning not 2 physical graphics cards) then go with the gtx 590. Me personally, I'm getting a gtx 590 when I can sell my 5870, and other computer to pay for it. The EVGA verison is overclocked, comes with some cool little things, and is only 30 more $$$. Also scaling isn't that great at 4 way..

This will be the first time, for me anyways, doing a sli/crossfire setup, or even using 2 gpu's are once.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Also, personally the reason why I've never went sli/crossfire is cause of noise, heat, and power consumption. The gtx 590 does have underclocked 580's. Their NOT 570's though.

I have been reading Tom's Hardware and other review sites since 2003 even though I didn't join till much later however I can say with the years under my belt that one really doesn't know if a card is good till a few months after introduction but to already have bricked cards this early on isn't good. I may not make several hundred grand a year unlike most of you but I know to avoid certain cards. This is one of the few subject that I live and breath. The GTX 590 like other dual gpu cards have a much shorter life span than normal single gpu cards dual planar or single it doesn't matter.

vflflyer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

Are you talking about getting two 590's or are you saying that one 590 would be better than two 580's for better res?

vflflyer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for the tip, would save me almost $100.

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
you're welcome.. hope you enjoying it when you finish building the setup...
one more thing... you can save more money if you replace the i7 2600k with i5 2500k.. because i5 2500k is not much slower than i7 2600k... at least not with your naked eyes...

TRENDING THREADS