Monitor wont display desktop at 1080p

espinoza11b

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Monitor: SyncMaster PX2370

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+23%22+Widescreen+LED+Monitor+-+Black/Gray/9777681.p?skuId=9777681&id=1218172811948#tabbed-customerreviews

Graphics Card: MSI N560GTX Ti Gold Edition

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127569&cm_re=560_ti-_-14-127-569-_-Product

Problem: I cant get a full desktop without dropping the screen resolution, even after installing the Samsung Drivers. I tried messing with the display options and still cant get it to work, any thoughts? I purchased this product to work at 1080p its advertised as "HDLED" if its not the case I will return it. Also if I do return it, anyone have any suggestions for a similarly priced monitor that works at the stated resolutions?

I appreciate the help,

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
You have the latest drivers right?

Anyways... go right click and then nivdia control Panel

Under display go to "Adjust desktop size and position"

you should be able to fix it form there.

Oh and there might be similar settings under your monitor GUI but try that first.

espinoza11b

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I realize I can adjust the resolution to make the desktop fit. I just don't think that I should have to after paying 300+ bucks for a monitor that claimed a display of 1080p.. When I shrink to fit it sits at 1858X1044. That is NOT the resolution it is claiming to display. Ill do a search for updated drivers, so far though no luck with the video card drivers. Since I already updated those yesterday.

Appreciate the help.

I bet you are using an HDMI cable. If possible, switch to DVI, and voila, all your problems will be fixed. Don't worry, HDMI and DVI are identical in picture quality. The only difference is that HDMI carries sound (for on-board speakers on your monitor). HDMI causes the monitor to act like a TV, and DVI causes it to work like a proper PC monitor.

An alternative is to really double check ALL the possible resolutions. With HDMI, there are two lists in the scrolldown menu, one for PC and one for TV resolutions.

If you are using DVI, disregard everything I just wrote.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Yes, try switching to DVI cable, I have a samsung 27' monitor and when running HDMI I have that same problem, I was able to fix it by renaming some stuff in the menu, kind of hard to explain but try switching to DVI if you are running HDMI.

Good luck!

In this case it would have to be a DVI to HDMI cable/adapter since the PX2370 doesn't have any DVI input ports.

It is also possible that the use of the VGA Input port on the monitor can also cause this type of problem.

The OP hasn't even mentioned how the monitor is connected to the graphics card.

Which output port on the graphics card is being used?

Which input port on the monitor is being used?

Is there any adapter being used?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
You got to be kidding! No DVI coneector?
I would take it back and get a model that has the DVI...it is better suited for computer usage.
I've got a 23"AOC monitor and you need the DVI cable for it to give you the full 1080p you're looking for....
Love gaming at 1080p....
Hope this helps....JQ

espinoza11b

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hmm, I just read the specs to my monitor in the enclosed manual. I do in fact have a DVI connection, Ill swap the connection once I get home. I figured using an hdmi cord would give me 1080p. After all its what I used to connect my blu ray player to my TV.. I realize its not the same thing but meh..

Ill report back. Thanks for the replies!