Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU/GPU Compatability.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
September 2, 2011 10:26:09 PM

Hi all.

I've recently ordered a EVGA GTX560 Ti (SUPER OC), and it's gonna be delivered tomorrow morning.

I'm really excited to FINALLY have an upgrade from my 8600GT, however I'm worried my PSU isn't good enough.

I have a 500W Apex (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

I had bought it in anticipation of the card, because the card said it requires a 500W PSU, so I figured that this PSU would do the job.

However, now I'm reading that there's a whole lot of other things you have to worry about when buying a PSU.

I have no idea how to find out how many amps are on the 12V rail and all that stuff.

So can you guys tell me if my PSU can handle everything?

AMD Phenomâ„¢ II quad-core processor 960T
8GB DDR3 SDRAM
1.5TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
(Not too sure what else I'm supposed to list, I'm a noob at this stuff haha.)

All input will be greatly appreciated.

More about : psu gpu compatability

a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2011 10:42:43 PM

Typically a glance at the side of the PSU will tell you how many amps on the 12V rail. Or you could go to the manufacturers web site and find your model, etc.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2011 10:43:10 PM

You should be fine. Your PSU is rated at 18A on each of the two 12V rails. I can't imagine your GPU wanting to draw that much current.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 10:46:42 PM

I prefer PSU's from Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc......but for running a single card, you should be fine with that one.
m
0
l
September 2, 2011 10:49:18 PM

abekl said:
You should be fine. Your PSU is rated at 18A on each of the two 12V rails. I can't imagine your GPU wanting to draw that much current.


If this PSU wasn't good enough, would my computer just shut down? Or would it catch on fire and ruin everything like I hear everywhere else?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2011 10:56:27 PM

Your computer would be unstable and you'll have random shut downs and crashes/lockups. If worse comes to worse, then that unit MIGHT blow up and take out some components like your motherboard but unless you're a complete idiot, the chance of that happening before you detect something wrong is quite high.
m
0
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
September 2, 2011 10:58:29 PM

^+ 1

I would highly recommend getting a new power supply based on this review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

You don't want to risk your new GPU and system with such a low end PSU. With PSU, you never want to skimp on performance for price. You want to stick with the top brands like Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec, XFX to name a few. It is one (if not the most) important components in your PC.
m
0
l
September 2, 2011 11:07:15 PM

lilotimz said:
Your computer would be unstable and you'll have random shut downs and crashes/lockups. If worse comes to worse, then that unit MIGHT blow up and take out some components like your motherboard but unless you're a complete idiot, the chance of that happening before you detect something wrong is quite high.


Ahhh, that's good to know :) .
m
0
l
September 2, 2011 11:08:49 PM

tecmo34 said:
^+ 1

I would highly recommend getting a new power supply based on this review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

You don't want to risk your new GPU and system with such a low end PSU. With PSU, you never want to skimp on performance for price. You want to stick with the top brands like Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec, XFX to name a few. It is one (if not the most) important components in your PC.


Ahh, okay.
Yeah none of that looks good at all.
I guess I'll return it to newegg and pick up a Corsair 750W TX next Friday when I get paid.

Hopefully it'll fit in my case...
m
0
l
!