9800 GX2 upgrade choices and HDMI question

TheSynergy

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
OK so I'm a huge gamer and system builder, though I admit I've fallen behind in the past 3 years with building, due to more work and less money lol Anyways, I just picked up the sequel to my favorite PC game of probably all time, except maybe Half Life 2, and that game is called Crysis 2. I also plan to get Rage and Skyrim when they come out on PC later in the year, which I have a feeling they will increase the system requirements since the graphics card market is finally above the requirements of even the fastest games to date. I recall 3 years ago my 9800 GX2 was the flagship card, granted not by much specially once AA is turned on, but people still couldn't play full bore at the highest resolutions, and now its ridiculously easy to, and they are talking about the 28nm cards coming out, when the 580's and 590 already destroy everything at 2560x1600 lol

Sorry I got a bit off track, I guess what I'm getting at, is that granted I play Crysis 2 at 1920x1080 at Extreme with solid performance, I hear they are patching in DX11, and of course my card is DX10. Now I have a few questions on what would be the next best upgrade. So far I've been using tomshardware and other resources to compare my card in a game like Crysis 1 to other cards that have come out in the past 3 years, and none of them but the 560ti + can even come close to touching the 9800 GX2 (I guess 600 bucks on a gfx card is worth it LOL). I'm hesitant to get the 560ti only because its basically the exact same card as mine minus a GPU, plus an extra 512mb buffer which Crysis 2 doesn't seem to use more than 512mb at my rez anyways, and DX 11 of course. So my question is, what would be worth a solid upgrade, I really don't want to shell out another 600-700 bucks on the new 590. I'm wondering about the 570 or 480 if those would be solid upgrades to what I have. The other thing I am curious about, is how the card will connect to my Sony Bravia XBR8, since it is VGA for PC, I never use VGA, my 9800 GX2 is the first to have a full HDMI out, so I just hook it up to my HDTV. I notice almost all modern gfx cards have mini-HDMI, and I'm wondering what the adapter/connector will do as far as image quality/performance etc... if anything noticeable at all (like picture lag/compatibility issues etc...), and how I'd connect the card to my TV. Lastly, my last and current build is a Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 1333 MHz 4MB Socket 775 O/C to 3.7ghz (on air), 4gb DDR2-800 Kingston Hyper X with crazy low timings CS 4-4-4-12, evga nforce 680i SE SLI board, my concern is it isn't PCI-Express 2.0 though I read the difference is minimal when in SLI, but wondering how it affects a single card etc...

I apologize to put 3 years worth of questions into this thread, but anyone who was able to read all of that, I'd appreciate any advice you all have for me. Thanks in advance.

oz73942

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
stay away from 480 for sure, it should be about eol if not already. The 570 is basically the 480, in a cheaper, quieter, cooler form, and it should hold you out till the 28mm cards become refined.

Heres a good crysis review with the card:
http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize/Guides/crysis-2-benchmarks

Personally i would go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564&cm_re=gtx_570-_-14-127-564-_-Product

As for connecting to your monitor, if you look at the pics you see it comes with an adapter for hdmi.

PCI: im pretty sure tom ran an article on the difference a while back (sorry to lazy right now to link) but if i remeber correctly the difference was within a few fps, but nothing major.

Ha! found it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696-6.html

TheSynergy

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I have a post on eVGA forums too on this topic, but I just want to confirm with the masters here at toms. Will my eVGA nForce 680i SE SLI with an Intel x6850 4mb cache 3.0ghz OC'd to 3.7ghz and 4gb DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 be able to handle such gfx cards like the 570, 580, or 590? Or would it be a waste of an upgrade because of my platforms PCI Express 1.0?

TheSynergy

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I have read toms articles on PCIE 1.0 vs 2.0 and I know its not a big difference and the only comparisons they make with it is for SLI. I've yet to see an article from toms that compares 1.0 vs 2.0 for single graphics solutions.... I have a feeling its fine since my current card is a 9800 gx2 which is PCIE 2.0 and my nforce 680i se sli board is 1.0. So I guess its not a big concern or shouldn't be but yet I worry from someone that knows better than I. I'm pretty well versed in hardware even after 3 years, and work in IT, but I do like to verify things with others to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind.

TheSynergy

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Any replies? I don't want the mod to thinkg I'm being a punk, so I do apologize, but this is a good thread if you think about it, and I have a ton of answers on eVGA forum, so I'd have thought even more on toms, but I guess not.... Anyways, any answer is legit, thanks alot!

TRENDING THREADS