BestConfigs - MicroATX Gaming Build

It's that time again! Time to update the Tom's Hardware BestConfigs! Once again, we are opening the field to user recommendations to get the best consensus for the absolute best of the best in each category. Post the best configuration you can put together for the following build category and our editorial team will pick 5 of the best to be put up to a public vote right here in the Systems forum. The top-ranking build will go on to become one of Tom's Hardware BestConfigs and you'll get the credit for having put together a brilliant build with a special credit in the feature article.

Post your entries to this thread for the category of:
MicroATX Gaming Build

Stay within $1,200 (without shipping) and no need to include OS, monitor, mouse/keyboard. Please be sure to format your list of components as follows:

Joe's MicroATX Portal Turret Custom Case Build
Processor: Component Name and Component Price
Motherboard: Component Name and Component Price
RAM: Component Name and Component Price
Graphics Card: Component Name and Component Price
Hard Drive: Component Name and Component Price
Case: Component Name and Component Price
Power Supply: Component Name and Component Price
Cooling: Component Name and Component Price
DVD Burner: Component Name and Component Price

See below for quick-copy/paste text of the BBcode.

[cpp]
Joe's MicroATX Portal Turret Custom Case Build
Processor: Component Name and Component Price
Motherboard: Component Name and Component Price
RAM: Component Name and Component Price
Graphics Card: Component Name and Component Price
Hard Drive: Component Name and Component Price
Case: Component Name and Component Price
Power Supply: Component Name and Component Price
Cooling: Component Name and Component Price
DVD Burner: Component Name and Component Price
[/cpp]

You can also use the Tom's Hardware System Builder to build your recommendation and use the BBCode export option at the bottom of the build. If you do, be sure to include a link in your post to your build on the app for quick viewing.

Good luck, and may the best builds win!
26 answers Last reply
More about bestconfigs microatx gaming build
  1. Michxymi "Space Matters" Build

    Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K $224.99

    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130596 MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $159.99

    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095 Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770 $79.99

    Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127588 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity $279.99

    Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $89.99

    SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357 Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $124.99

    Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112316 LIAN LI PC-A04B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case $109.99

    Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $99.99

    Cooling: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103084 COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus RR-VTPS-28PK-R1 92mm Long life sleeve CPU Cooler $29.99

    DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $20.99

    1120.90$
  2. It should not be very hard with combos/rebates to shave a little bit more off of the price and get a SSD to put the OS on as well
  3. Micro-ATX cases often do little justice to micro-atx's small size, or when they do, its expensive for a case.

    So be prepared to pay a premium 100+ to 150+ for a smaller (small form factor-ish HTPC-ish) case, or pay the usual pre-100 for a larger-than-needed case.

    Doesnt make sense, it does. Also, going for combos on Newegg is smart, as you can indeed squeeze in nice extras.
  4. Yes, combos are good.. they change from time to time tho. Best to calculate price of combos when you're actually buying
  5. Mjmj's space saving crossfire build-

    processor- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&cm_re=i5_2500k-_-19-115-072-_-Product Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 220$

    motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495&cm_re=gigabyte_z68-_-13-128-495-_-Product GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 125$

    ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&cm_re=gskill_1600_8gb-_-20-231-314-_-Product G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 65$

    hdd- http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Internal-HD103SJ/dp/B002MQC0P8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308696729&sr=1-2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 60$

    ssd- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441&cm_re=crucial_m4-_-20-148-441-_-Product Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 64GB 120$

    case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108236&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID= IN WIN Dragon Slayer 80$

    PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027&cm_re=750w_power_supply-_-17-703-027-_-Product PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 110$

    cpu cooler- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057&Tpk=cooler%20master%20n520 COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 30$

    dvd burner- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289 LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner 19$

    gpu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349&cm_re=6870-_-14-161-349-_-Product x2= 370$

    Total: 1199$
    now that is close
  6. Striker's "My name is Boxxy" box

    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $220

    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $125

    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $65 (combo with 2500k)

    Graphics Card: ZOTAC ZT-50301-10M GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $230

    Second Graphics card: ZOTAC ZT-50301-10M GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $230

    Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $60

    Case: Thermaltake ARMOR A30 VM70001W2Z Black SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case $110

    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $90

    Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler $35

    DVD Burner: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner $21

    That comes to $1,185 :D

    This is a fully SLI compatible rig. It fits the Micro ATX form factor while still retaining awesome cooling thanks to the Thermaltake Armor A30.

    It has full 1600MHz ram, making best use of the XMP ram profile.

    The Scythe big Shuriken provides the cooling of a full 120mm fan, while retaining that key low profile.

    Plus.... It's named after Boxxy!
  7. trollin!
  8. Nicoma's Big Baby Box:

    Processor: Intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz $224.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68 MicroATX mobo $124.99
    RAM: GSkill Ripjaw 8gb(2x4gb) 1600 speed 1.5v $84.99
    Graphics Card: EVGA 560 GTX 1GB x2 $189.99/$379.98
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $59.99
    Case: IN WIN Dragonslayer MicroATX Case $79.99
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775w Modular 119.99
    Cooling: Noctua NH-C14 $89.99
    DVD Burner: LG DVD/CD Burner $20.99

    TOTAL: $1,184.90 ($1,170.85 /w Rebates and Shipping)

    The Noctuac cooler fits just perfectly in the case(research from reviews show this) and if you overclock the 2500k with the amazing cooling of this unit you are looking at one very nice machine with your dual SLI'd 560's.
  9. CAS: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+38] (BlackColor [+0])
    CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    FAN: * Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor) [+13]
    HDD: 1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+20] (Single Hard Drive)
    KEYBOARD: * Thermaltake eSports Challenger Gaming Keyboard Black [+33]
    MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+24]
    MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OS: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY
    POWERSUPPLY: * 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M [+83]
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+118] (HIS IceQ X Powered by AMD [+28])

    Total: Like a shave over 1200
  10. I've always loved the Mini P180...

    mATX
    Processor: i5 2500k - $219
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H - $124
    RAM: 4gb G.Skill 2133mhz DDR3
    Graphics Card: 2x Galaxy GTX 560 Ti - $388
    Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 60gb - $119
    Storage Drive: 500gb Seagate - $39
    Case: Antec Mini P180 White - $112
    Power Supply: Corsair TX650 V2 -$79
    Cooling: Corsair A70 - $31
    DVD Burner: LG 22x Burner - $18

    Grand total - $1193
  11. UPDATED BUILD (I scrapped the other one..)

    nicknamed "boo"

    MOBO: ASRock P67 EXTREME4
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157229 $159.99

    CPU: I5-2500k
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product $220

    PSU:XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817207007 -$68

    GPU: HIS ICEq Radeon 6870
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] roduct$180

    RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product $85


    Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233 $60

    SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148441 $120

    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product
  12. gameranew22 said:
    UPDATED BUILD (I scrapped the other one..)

    nicknamed "boo"

    MOBO: ASRock P67 EXTREME4
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157229 $159.99

    CPU: I5-2500k
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product $220

    PSU:XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817207007 -$68

    GPU: HIS ICEq Radeon 6870
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] roduct$180

    RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product $85


    Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233 $60

    SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148441 $120

    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product


    What does your build have to do with microATX?
  13. Ooops! Well, the first build did I thought and I guess I forgot the subject title. Sorry for randomly posting my rig specs!!
  14. Quote:
    = = http://www.abcneed.com == =
    Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $30
    Women’s prada sandals $ 35
    CK men Underwear $16, Armani Men Underwear $18
    Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $36
    Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $36
    T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $20
    Jeans (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$30
    Sunglasses ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$16
    New era cap $12
    A&F Shirt $18, Gucci t-shirt $20, Polo t-shirt $20
    Gucci shoes $42 ,prada shoes $40 ,puma shoes $43
    NBA jerseys $33 ,NHL jerseys $29
    YSL shoes $85
    NBA Jersyes $33, NHL jerseys $42, NFL jerseys $43
    Gucci boot $45, Dior Boot $45
    Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18
    FREE SHIPPING
    . Accept paypal payment, accept Credit card payments, electronic check payments.
    = = = = http://www.abcneed.com = = = =

    oh so you posted it on 2 threads. awesome man. :fou:
  15. mjmjpfaff said:
    oh so you posted it on 2 threads. awesome man. :fou:

    Dude a Air Jordan case is pretty micro, come on this is a valid build, especially if he SLI's the Gucci boots
  16. Nicoma said:
    Dude a Air Jordan case is pretty micro, come on this is a valid build, especially if he SLI's the Gucci boots

    Haha, I laughed at that one.
  17. Nicoma said:
    Dude a Air Jordan case is pretty micro, come on this is a valid build, especially if he SLI's the Gucci boots

    +1 to that :lol:
  18. Jeremy's Micro ATX (Ninja, Pirate, Viking... axe to your face) AMD build
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T $189.99
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD $129.99
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 $129.99
    Graphics Card: XFX HD-695X-CDDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity $249.99
    Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $154.99
    Case: IN WIN BR665 Black SECC steel MicroATX $74.99
    Power Supply: Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Modular Power Supply $129.99
    Cooling: Dare I say it? YES... Stock AMD cooler. No real need to go with anything else as the price limit of $1200 keeps the upgrade from happening. Better to spend the money on other top performing parts and capabilities in the system and upgrade this aspect later on as it gets the job done perfectly.
    DVD Burner: SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support $57.99


    Other options not listed above in the threads reference build specs...
    Storage drive... : Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" $39.99


    Total price for this build from Newegg is $1194.91 at the time of writing this including the other option not listed in the primary build specs.


    Yes I am am an AMD fanboy so I stuck with what I like personally which is what matters :) The system is designed to be as future proof for a micro ATX as I could design at this time.
    - The mobo supports the new AMD bulldozer processors (confirmed by msi) which will be an easy future upgrade. It also has a slew of awesome features and abilities such as... reasonable onboard graphics so when it does come time to retire the build, the vid card can be stripped out and onboard video can be used as an energy efficient desktop. Another plus is the 6Gb/s on-board raid controller, USB 3.0 and SB850 South Bridge.
    - The ram was carefully chosen as it is rated to pc2000, however with the new bulldozers, it will be run at 1866 so I may be able to squeeze a little extra out of it timing wise. That and Corsair XMS memory has NEVER let me down after all these years.
    - The case is an outstanding build for a Micro ATX. Builds like a good sized mid tower with bottom mount power supply, plenty of room for whatever vid card you want... provisions for water cooling and multiple bottom drive and bay options.
    - Video card was chosen as it is a short design at 10" so fits the case well. Also it runs a slight overclock for a 9850 out of the box at 830 core / 1300 memory. Not to mention the XFX lifetime warranty on the card... impressive.
    - The OS SSD Hard drive is a small beast... uses the latest SandForce SF-2200 for up to 555MB/s read --- 495MB/s Write and up to 80,000 iops. For my own build I am using this same drive but in a 120gb config. The price limitations of this thread keep it at a 60gb which is plenty for gaming, especially with the 500gb storage drive.
    - Power supply is a gold certified unit. Efficiency is key to me! And it is a perfect match for this build. It is also modular which is mandatory in a SFF build.
  19. michxymi said:
    Michxymi "Space Matters" Build

    Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K $224.99

    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130596 MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $159.99

    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095 Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770 $79.99

    Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127588 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity $279.99

    Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $89.99

    SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357 Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $124.99

    Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112316 LIAN LI PC-A04B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case $109.99

    Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $99.99

    Cooling: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103084 COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus RR-VTPS-28PK-R1 92mm Long life sleeve CPU Cooler $29.99

    DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $20.99

    1120.90$


    You'll have to remove a drive cage for that graphics card, but since it is removable in two parts I'd say it's a viable build. Kind of long though.

    garage1217 said:
    Jeremy's Micro ATX (Ninja, Pirate, Viking... axe to your face) AMD build
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T $189.99
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD $129.99
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 $129.99
    Graphics Card: XFX HD-695X-CDDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity $249.99
    Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $154.99
    Case: IN WIN BR665 Black SECC steel MicroATX $74.99
    Power Supply: Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Modular Power Supply $129.99
    Cooling: Dare I say it? YES... Stock AMD cooler. No real need to go with anything else as the price limit of $1200 keeps the upgrade from happening. Better to spend the money on other top performing parts and capabilities in the system and upgrade this aspect later on as it gets the job done perfectly.
    DVD Burner: SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support $57.99


    Other options not listed above in the threads reference build specs...
    Storage drive... : Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" $39.99


    Total price for this build from Newegg is $1194.91 at the time of writing this including the other option not listed in the primary build specs.


    Yes I am am an AMD fanboy so I stuck with what I like personally which is what matters :) The system is designed to be as future proof for a micro ATX as I could design at this time.
    - The mobo supports the new AMD bulldozer processors (confirmed by msi) which will be an easy future upgrade. It also has a slew of awesome features and abilities such as... reasonable onboard graphics so when it does come time to retire the build, the vid card can be stripped out and onboard video can be used as an energy efficient desktop. Another plus is the 6Gb/s on-board raid controller, USB 3.0 and SB850 South Bridge.
    - The ram was carefully chosen as it is rated to pc2000, however with the new bulldozers, it will be run at 1866 so I may be able to squeeze a little extra out of it timing wise. That and Corsair XMS memory has NEVER let me down after all these years.
    - The case is an outstanding build for a Micro ATX. Builds like a good sized mid tower with bottom mount power supply, plenty of room for whatever vid card you want... provisions for water cooling and multiple bottom drive and bay options.
    - Video card was chosen as it is a short design at 10" so fits the case well. Also it runs a slight overclock for a 9850 out of the box at 830 core / 1300 memory. Not to mention the XFX lifetime warranty on the card... impressive.
    - The OS SSD Hard drive is a small beast... uses the latest SandForce SF-2200 for up to 555MB/s read --- 495MB/s Write and up to 80,000 iops. For my own build I am using this same drive but in a 120gb config. The price limitations of this thread keep it at a 60gb which is plenty for gaming, especially with the 500gb storage drive.
    - Power supply is a gold certified unit. Efficiency is key to me! And it is a perfect match for this build. It is also modular which is mandatory in a SFF build.
    The problem is that it's NOT SFF. It's a mid-tower.

    The minimum height for a FULL ATX mid tower in "traditional layout" is 16.875". I'd say that yours is close enough.

    Actually I should just tell you the whole truth. Not only is your case a mid-tower, but nothing Micro ATX is "SFF". SFF originally stood for Shuttle form factor and was later bastardized by a few review writers to include "Small Form Factor" lookalikes. AMD later standardized this size as the DTX form factor. Tom's Hardware actually wrote the book on it back in 2006, so unless you're refering to a two-slot design I don't want to hear it.
  20. This build does not say anything about having to be SFF, it states "MicroATX Gaming Build" And you may want to note that I wrote... "The case is an outstanding build for a Micro ATX. Builds like a good sized mid tower with bottom mount power supply" I am well aware of its size which is why I chose it specifically.

    The only time I mentioned SFF is in reference to a modular power supply, not that this build is SFF. I would know what SFF is, I was the first to watercool and overclock the guts out of an sn41g2 back around 2002 for kicks :) However it did not end up SFF after all the mods with an external koolance system, water cooled 9800 pro and enermax external supply lol

    Tis Friday night, Have a drink and relax a little :kaola:

    Liked my build list enough that I... actually built lol. All fit and functioned exactly as planned. Only a few minor changes such as
    - Blu-ray burner
    - 120gb force gt drive over the 60gb model (good lord this drive is fast!!!! / no bsods or other issues)
    - pair of 500gb storage drives as I had them laying around (old, slow original WD green sata units)

    Not fancy at all compared to my builds of old, but she gets the job done and performs stellar! :sol: And wow this baby is QUIET! With the cpu fan set to 25% with a ramp up at 40C, I can barely tell the PC is on. Set at 25% cpu fan speed, she sits around 26-28C unless pushing it with a taxing application. The stock case fans are very quiet which was a surprise yet the case vents very, very well. And so far, Have not had a game that I could not max everything and frag to my delight! Need to buy some games that really push the card however as most of my pc games are at least a year or more old.

    Overall could not be more happy with the build! Here is a pic... again, nothing insane or fancy but very functional.
  21. garage1217 said:
    This build does not say anything about having to be SFF, it states "MicroATX Gaming Build" And you may want to note that I wrote... "The case is an outstanding build for a Micro ATX. Builds like a good sized mid tower with bottom mount power supply" I am well aware of its size which is why I chose it specifically.

    The only time I mentioned SFF is in reference to a modular power supply, not that this build is SFF. I would know what SFF is, I was the first to watercool and overclock the guts out of an sn41g2 back around 2002 for kicks :) However it did not end up SFF after all the mods with an external koolance system, water cooled 9800 pro and enermax external supply lol
    Sorry to hear that, but it does sound like a cool system for the day.
  22. This topic has been desticky in top of the forum by Jpishgar
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Tom's Hardware Components Systems Product