BestConfigs - High-End Intel Gaming PC - page 3

360 answers Last reply
  1. Whats wrong with MIR?
  2. Quote:
    WITHOUT THE EXTRAS LIKE ORIGINALLY WANTED:

    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070&cm_re=i7_2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product - $314.99
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714 - $259.99
    CPU/Cooler: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5/i7 Gemin II S 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046&Tpk=Gemin%20II%20S - $39.99
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145348&cm_re=corsair_vengeance-_-20-145-348-_-Product - $94.99
    GXF: (1) MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582&cm_re=gtx_570-_-14-127-582-_-Product - $369.99
    GFX: (2) MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582&cm_re=gtx_570-_-14-127-582-_-Product - $369.99
    SSD: Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) 2.5" 120GB SATA III
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042 - $284.49
    HDD: (X2) - WD VelociRaptor 300GB - (RAID 0)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322&cm_re=velociraptor_300gb-_-22-136-322-_-Product - $299.98 (total)
    Optical: ASUS Black SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1LT LightScribe Support - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135234 - $119.99
    CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced - (2x 140mm) + (3x 120mm) fans
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216&cm_re=cm_690_ii_advanced-_-11-119-216-_-Product - $89.99
    NZXT Sentry-2 5.25in Touch Screen fan controller
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992005&cm_re=sentry_2-_-11-992-005-_-Product - $24.99
    PSU: SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102 - $205.99
    -----------------------
    $2475.37



    why would you put 2 velociraptors in raid 0. first off they are overpriced drives, and second you get no benefit in gaming at all. In fact, you will experience longer access times since it has to search 2 drives instead of 1. Second, your raid array will use more cpu while reading/writing to it, so in actuality your decreasing performance by having raid 0 drives.
  3. king_maliken said:
    Whats wrong with MIR?

    I assume we price before MIR, as they aren't always honored.
  4. Hey what about the new Seagate 1 TB platters ( 1 TB per platter)? Reviews of their 3 TB drive show it to be very fast for an HDD. The 3 TB is not needed here but the 1 TB single platter drives could set new performance marks for an HDD.
  5. striker410 said:
    I assume we price before MIR, as they aren't always honored.


    Ah alright, well then i got lucky when i bought two and both got honored... even then though $210 for an excellent PSU.
  6. Might as well post the actual build I'm doing next week:

    CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 - $314.99

    MOBO - ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131702 - $219.99

    CPU COOLER - CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015 - $69.98

    MEMORY - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233147 - $94.99

    GFX CARDS - (2) MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127579 - $525.99

    SSD - Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167053 - $319.49

    HDD - HITACHI Deskstar H3IK10003272SP (0S02860) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145368 - $59.99

    OPTICAL - SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L/RSBP LightScribe Support (Retail)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151232 - $64.99

    CASE - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139005 - $179.99

    PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015 - $189.99

    ----------------------
    $2566.38
  7. There's no point in the 3x 6950s. I put it together but the build was a bit... lopsided I guess. The sad thing is 6950s only handle 4 monitors each. My build is now 2x 6970s because you can get up to 6 monitors on them. So if you're limited to 4 monitors with the 6950s, you'd probably just be better off with 2x 580s.
  8. Quote:
    ^
    no to the Hitachi HDD...
    that's a mistake.


    Thats a misconception, Hitachi makes great drives...
  9. So in a three page thread, how many posts are legitimate submission builds?
  10. bavman said:
    why would you put 2 velociraptors in raid 0. first off they are overpriced drives, and second you get no benefit in gaming at all. In fact, you will experience longer access times since it has to search 2 drives instead of 1. Second, your raid array will use more cpu while reading/writing to it, so in actuality your decreasing performance by having raid 0 drives.


    What are you talking about? Raid 0 splits data up between the drives allocating it in the same sectors so data is retrieved at 100% identical rates. It can double transfer rate without affecting search time. While velociraptors are overpriced, there's no wait 2 of them in RAID 0 is going to reduce performance. HDDs are rarely accessed much during gaming, only for loading and saving which occurs only periodically and with saving, it's also very short term access. The CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 100% usage so there's plenty of extra cycles for the HDD accessing to use without affecting performance.
  11. Quote:
    majin ssj eric wrote :

    Thats a misconception, Hitachi makes great drives...


    Not simply a matter of opinion, it's a matter of quality control. You go back 3-4 years and they had BIG issues keeping consistency in their product, they might be better now but they are not at the same manufacturing level as, for a example, WD or Seagate.
  12. grody said:
    So in a three page thread, how many posts are legitimate submission builds?

    most are posts of the same build, or someone telling us that we were too harsh on people.
  13. wolfram23 said:
    What are you talking about? Raid 0 splits data up between the drives allocating it in the same sectors so data is retrieved at 100% identical rates. It can double transfer rate without affecting search time. While velociraptors are overpriced, there's no wait 2 of them in RAID 0 is going to reduce performance. HDDs are rarely accessed much during gaming, only for loading and saving which occurs only periodically and with saving, it's also very short term access. The CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 100% usage so there's plenty of extra cycles for the HDD accessing to use without affecting performance.



    Fair enough, but theres no real world benefits for raid 0 in a gaming machine. Synthetic benchmarks look nice, but thats it, I've even tried it and i can tell you theres absolutely no difference between 1 drive or 2 raid drives. If i recall correctly, raid 0 only comes in useful when theres multiple users (like several VM's) accessing the array and its able to read of multiple drives simultaneously.

    It doesnt effect load times: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1371/10
    Plus, you cut the potential lifetime of a drive in half by putting it in raid 0 since if one drive fails the entire array goes.
  14. mjmjpfaff said:
    most are posts of the same build, or someone telling us that we were too harsh on people.

    Where is flong's build?
  15. hello guys, here is what i plan to build:

    Computer:

    CPU: Intel core I5 2500k
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4 Intel Z68 (socket 1155)
    PSU: Antec CP 1000W
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHZ
    Cooling: corsair Hydro H70, Akasa 120mm fan, Akasa 80mm fan and a cooler master 200mm Red lighted Fan
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X
    Graphics cards:XFX ATI Radeon 6870 X 2
    Harddrives: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB X 2
    Networking: TP link 300MBPS Wireless-N PCI Adapter
    Optical Drive: OcUK DVD RW SATA Rewriter

    Peripherals:

    Moniter: Acer GD245HQ 23.6 120H 3D widescreen LCD
    Kerboard: Logitech G19
    Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1 surround sound
    Mouse: Saitek Cyborg R.A.T 7
    Lighting: Red Lian Li Waterproof 53CM LED Band
    Mouse pad: Cooler Master HS-M Battle Pad SSK Medium

    Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thx.
  16. Azi15 said:
    hello guys, here is what i plan to build:

    Computer:

    CPU: Intel core I5 2500k
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4 Intel Z68 (socket 1155)
    PSU: Antec CP 1000W
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHZ
    Cooling: corsair Hydro H70, Akasa 120mm fan, Akasa 80mm fan and a cooler master 200mm Red lighted Fan
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X
    Graphics cards:XFX ATI Radeon 6870 X 2
    Harddrives: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB X 2
    Networking: TP link 300MBPS Wireless-N PCI Adapter
    Optical Drive: OcUK DVD RW SATA Rewriter

    Peripherals:

    Moniter: Acer GD245HQ 23.6 120H 3D widescreen LCD
    Kerboard: Logitech G19
    Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1 surround sound
    Mouse: Saitek Cyborg R.A.T 7
    Lighting: Red Lian Li Waterproof 53CM LED Band
    Mouse pad: Cooler Master HS-M Battle Pad SSK Medium

    Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thx.


    Hi Azi15,

    I am not 100% sure that PSU will work in that case. The CP series of Antec PSU's only fit in 3 Antec cases, 1200, p193 and df-35 (I think that is the 3). Not sure if the HAF-X has the proper backing to support it.

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1491923
  17. elrui said:
    Hi Azi15,

    I am not 100% sure that PSU will work in that case. The CP series of Antec PSU's only fit in 3 Antec cases, 1200, p193 and df-35 (I think that is the 3). Not sure if the HAF-X has the proper backing to support it.

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1491923


    hmm i see what you meen, anyway thanks for the sugestion mate, i will do a little more research into which PSU's work with the HAF X.

    the reason i chose that PSU in the first place was because its the cheapest 1000W PSU i could find. if you do have any recomendation for PSU's around the same price range as my previous option please let me know, thanks.
  18. Azi15 said:
    hmm i see what you meen, anyway thanks for the sugestion mate, i will do a little more research into which PSU's work with the HAF X.

    the reason i chose that PSU in the first place was because its the cheapest 1000W PSU i could find. if you do have any recomendation for PSU's around the same price range as my previous option please let me know, thanks.

    I see no need for a kilowatt PSU at all. A quality 650w would do the job. If you want som wiggle room, grab something like an Antec Earthwatts 750w or a corsair TX 750.
  19. Azi15 said:
    hmm i see what you meen, anyway thanks for the sugestion mate, i will do a little more research into which PSU's work with the HAF X.

    the reason i chose that PSU in the first place was because its the cheapest 1000W PSU i could find. if you do have any recomendation for PSU's around the same price range as my previous option please let me know, thanks.



    Howdy,

    Yeah the CP PSU's are amazing in price/value, also some of the higher rated efficiency-wise. It is really hard to find a good PSU's at the same performance point in the same price range due to them being a bit cheaper because of their lack of compatibility with the majority of cases.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341045

    Here is a good one with a stellar rating from Jonny Guru of 9.5 for 184.99 after MIR. Fully modular too, so that is sweet.

    edit: I just realized the CP-1000 are down to 130-140 bucks range now, insane deal. Almost enough to make me want to use one of those big ugly Antec cases.
  20. striker410 said:
    I see no need for a kilowatt PSU at all. A quality 650w would do the job. If you want som wiggle room, grab something like an Antec Earthwatts 750w or a corsair TX 750.


    oh ok, the only reason i decided to go for a 1000W PSU though is because i heard from a friend that 1000W is the minimum ammount i should go for if i want to supply power to two GPU's. After hearing this i decided to do some research and found that most people housing two GPU's normally have around an 850W or a 1000W PSU. My friend himself housing a 850W PSU with just one 5870 graphic card.

    Thank you for your suggestion though because to be honest i did very little research on PSU's and by the looks of it i will need to do a little more, cheers mate.
  21. Azi15 said:
    oh ok, the only reason i decided to go for a 1000W PSU though is because i heard from a friend that 1000W is the minimum ammount i should go for if i want to supply power to two GPU's. After hearing this i decided to do some research and found that most people housing two GPU's normally have around an 850W or a 1000W PSU. My friend himself housing a 850W PSU with just one 5870 graphic card.

    Thank you for your suggestion though because to be honest i did very little research on PSU's and by the looks of it i will need to do a little more, cheers mate.



    I personally am going with the HX750 for my sli 560 ti system I am about to build.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=hx750

    Or this one is to be considered as well.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207016&Tpk=xfx%20750
  22. Well here's the deal. 2 6870's pull no more 275w according to guru3d
    ( http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-crossfirex-review/15 )
    Your CPU when overclocked will pull say, 125w. Everything else is gonna be under 50w. So we have 450w peak. Most of the time you will see less than 350-400w. PSU's run most efficient around 50-60% load, but a a 650w PSU would be just perfect right here. Running at 70% certainly isn't going to be an issue.

    Even the newegg calculator, which grossly overstates the wattage, suggest 648w.
    That being said, not many 650w PSU's support the 4x6pin PCI cables needed to drive 2 6870's. 750w is the sweet spot.
  23. elrui said:
    Howdy,

    Yeah the CP PSU's are amazing in price/value, also some of the higher rated efficiency-wise. It is really hard to find a good PSU's at the same performance point in the same price range due to them being a bit cheaper because of their lack of compatibility with the majority of cases.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341045

    Here is a good one with a stellar rating from Jonny Guru of 9.5 for 184.99 after MIR. Fully modular too, so that is sweet.

    edit: I just realized the CP-1000 are down to 130-140 bucks range now, insane deal. Almost enough to make me want to use one of those big ugly Antec cases.


    Hi, Elrui

    Thanks for your recomendation mate, by the looks of this PSU its just what im looking for in terms of compatibility, not to mention it looks a lot better than the CP 1000. I was however a bit worried about the price on the link you showed me ($200) compared to the CP 1000 which was around $130 to $140 as you stated.

    I fortunatly live in the UK, so when i compared the prices of both PSU's it wasnt as marginally different. The CP 1000 over here costs around £130 where as the OCZ ZX 1000W costs around £150, making it a difference of only £20 therefore making the latter the logical choice.

    thanks for your suggestion mate. it helped me from making a bad move which may have ended up making the day i build my first PC the worst day of my life.
  24. I still suggest you look at some of the 750w options. MUCH MUCH cheaper than those kilowatts.
    For example: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164950
    OR http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161664
  25. striker410 said:
    Well here's the deal. 2 6870's pull no more 275w according to guru3d
    ( http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-crossfirex-review/15 )
    Your CPU when overclocked will pull say, 125w. Everything else is gonna be under 50w. So we have 450w peak. Most of the time you will see less than 350-400w. PSU's run most efficient around 50-60% load, but a a 650w PSU would be just perfect right here. Running at 70% certainly isn't going to be an issue.

    Even the newegg calculator, which grossly overstates the wattage, suggest 648w.
    That being said, not many 650w PSU's support the 4x6pin PCI cables needed to drive 2 6870's. 750w is the sweet spot.


    wow mate thanks for all the information. If what both Guru3d and Newegg claim is true then you just helped me save atleast £50 or maybe even more on my PSU. You also mentioned in one of your previous post that you reccomend either the Antec Earthwatts 750w or the corsair TX 750. Out of both these two PSU's is there one you would reccomend above the other by price or quality or are they both the same?

    thanks.
  26. Well, they are both excellent PSU's. I think the corsair has a little bit more quality, but the antec is no slouch. After browsing Ebuyer, I think this is the best deal out there: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/241552 It's made by Seasonic, the same person who makes Corsair PSU's I believe.
  27. striker410 said:
    Well, they are both excellent PSU's. I think the corsair has a little bit more quality, but the antec is no slouch. After browsing Ebuyer, I think this is the best deal out there: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/241552 It's made by Seasonic, the same person who makes Corsair PSU's I believe.


    Thanks a lot mate, not only does that PSU have great reviews, its also quite a bargain, not to mention you easily saved me £75 on my PSU. thanks mate.
  28. Hi guys. New poster here, so be kind.

    Been spending some time coming up with this build and fairly close to hitting the "buy" button. But fearing it is not "future proof" May be a long time before I can convince the wife to allow me to blow 2k on a comp again.

    CPU:

    Intel Core i7 960, 3.20GHz, Quad Core, Socket LGA1366, 130W TDP, 4.8GT/s QPI, 4x256KB L2 Cache, 8MB L3 Cache, Boxed, Bloomfield (BX80601960)---($295)

    Motherboard:

    ASUS P6X58D Premium, LGA1366, Triple DDR3-2000, Intel X58+ICH10R, 6.4GT/s QPI, 8x SATA (2x 6Gb/s), CrossFireX, SLI, 3x PCIe x16 (x16+x8+x8), 1x PCIe x1, 2x PCI, 10x USB (2x USB3), 2x FireWire, 2x Gigabit LAN, 8ch ALC889, ATX (P6X58D-PREMIUM)---($405)

    PSU:

    Thermaltake Tough Power 1500W Active PFC Cable Management Power Supply, SLI and EPS Support, Lifetime Warranty (W0171)---($359)

    Memory:

    Corsair 12GB (3x 4GB) XMS Triple Channel Memory Kit - PC3 16000 (2000Mhz) DDR3 - 240-pin DIMM - CL 9-10-9-27 (CMX12GX3M3A2000C9)---($249)
    **(Maybe 2x this, but I know 24gig Ram is a overkill-Still love the sound of it. 24gig RAM - BAM! )

    Cooling:

    **(undecided - haven't really thought about what I would need)

    Case:

    LANBOYAIR- Yellow---($219)

    Graphics cards:

    ASUS GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II Video Card - 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 RAM - 742 / 3800MHz Clocks - PCIe 2.0 - 2x DVI, 1 x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort - SLI Ready - NVIDIA PhysX - GeForce CUDA (ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5)---($395)

    Harddrives:

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive---($165)

    Total Cost: ~$2080 (probably can get cheaper than this, all of these prices sourced from http://www.mwave.com.au)


    So... What do you think? Am I even close to a decent build here?

    Thanks in advance, and let the flaming begin.
  29. First thing, DONT GO LGA 1366!! Huge mistake. Huge, huge mistake. Expensive and slow. Look at the new Sandy bridge line. Btw I can help you out a bit better if you make your own thread. Hit me up in a PM with a link and I'll tell you all what I think.
  30. elrui said:
    I personally am going with the HX750 for my sli 560 ti system I am about to build.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=hx750

    Or this one is to be considered as well.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207016&Tpk=xfx%20750


    Just a point of observation; I had the HX 750 with a single ATI 5850 and I could tell that with my I-7 920 system that the PSU would be taxed and it was out of its best efficiency. Logically, you wouldn't think so but it would crank up to high fan with heavy use.

    If you want to stay in the most efficient range of the better PSUs you want a PSU to be 40-50% over capacity of the system. So if the system would draw 400 W at high usage, and 850 W would keep the unit in its most efficient range which is approximately from 25% - 70% capacity.

    The 750 HX is a great PSU but it would definitely heat up with just a single GPU. For my second computer I chose the 850 HX for that reason. I wanted to keep the PSU in the peak efficiency and have it run cooler and quieter.

    For SLI of the more serious GPUs like the 580 I recently have been recommending the Corsair AX 1200 and I have got a lot of grief for it from the crowd that wants to get the cheapest PSU possible.

    There are several reasons for this recommendation:

    1. At peak demand the PSU will be operating at 50% - 60% capacity. At this capacity it will be over 90% efficient (close to 91%)

    2. A the low end demand the PSU will still be approximately 88% efficient which is one of the best efficiencies available at the 230 W range

    3. At these demand levels the fan will not even kick in most of the time and the PSU will be silent

    4. During high demand the fan will not be on high and will be virtually silent

    5. The AX 1200 can be purchased for around $250 if one is patient enough to wait for the right sale

    6. The AX 1200 is fully modular and has a seven year warranty - the best in the business per dollar

    Yes you can get by with an 850 TX or HX because they put out nearly 1000W but they won't perform as efficiently or as coolly and quietly as the AX 1200 and will cost you 3% - 9% efficiency over the life of the PSU. If you run your system 24 hours a day, this costs a lot. Most people use their computer multiple hours a day.

    Unless the builder is severely budget limited, the AX 1200 is well worth the extra $50 over competing 1000W PSUs of lesser quality and efficiency, not to mention the convenience of modular cabling.

    For a single GPU (a serious GPU) I recommend the HX850 by Corsair. For two smaller GPUs like the GTX 560, probably the HX 850 would put you in the sweet spot of efficiency and quietness but it would depend on the total system.

    Remember that there are other components that draw power from the PSU in a complete system and so in spec'ing a PSU, the total system must be evaluated. Also the inefficiency of each of the components must be taken into account.
  31. Hi all,

    I'm doing an assignment for college and we've been asked to spec up 3 different computers and the one I was working on last night falls right into this category, which is how I found this thread. It's a Gaming PC with a budget of £5,000 (approx $8,000). I haven't maxed out the budget but got close at £3,910 (approx $6,300) including vat @ 20% and all delivery charges.

    I've got all compatible parts to the best of my knowledge but any advice if it's wrong would be much appreciated!

    I wanted to speak to the shop about tubes for the Zalman Reserator and if they all came with the kit but they're closed so if anyone know's if I need to buy extras (CPU heat sink's supplied)

    So hear it is:

    Case: Lian Li PC-888U Aluminum Blue Full Tower
    CPU: Intel i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Black Edition Intel X58
    Graphics Card: N480GTX-M2D15
    Memory: A-DATA XPG GAMING SERIES V2
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM X2 RAID 0
    Optical Drive: Sony BD-5300S-0B Super Fast BluRay Writer
    Keyboard & Mouse: Dell Alienware TactX Keyboard and Mouse
    Monitor: EDGE 10 22 INCH Wide Hard Glass 5ms X2
    Water Cooling: Zalman Reserator XT
    PSU: ENERMAX MODU87+ 900W
    SATA Cable: CIT SATA 6Gb Data Transfer Cable X4


    Just gotta spec up a server now...doesn't have a budget!
  32. === Forgot prices and wouldn't let me save the edited post ===

    Hi all,

    I'm doing an assignment for college and we've been asked to spec up 3 different computers and the one I was working on last night falls right into this category, which is how I found this thread. It's a Gaming PC with a budget of £5,000 (approx $8,000). I haven't maxed out the budget but got close at £3,910 (approx $6,300) including vat @ 20% and all delivery charges.

    I've got all compatible parts to the best of my knowledge but any advice if it's wrong would be much appreciated!

    I wanted to speak to the shop about tubes for the Zalman Reserator and if they all came with the kit but they're closed so if anyone know's if I need to buy extras (CPU heat sink's supplied)

    So hear it is:
    (prices rounded to nearest £/$)

    Case: Lian Li PC-888U Aluminum Blue Full Tower £378 / $611
    CPU: Intel i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.3Ghz £874 / $1,414
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Black Edition Intel X58 £354 / $573
    Graphics Card: N480GTX-M2D15 £512 / $828
    Memory: A-DATA XPG GAMING SERIES V2 £132 / $214
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM X2 RAID 0 £220 / $356
    Optical Drive: Sony BD-5300S-0B Super Fast BluRay Writer £88 / $142
    Keyboard & Mouse: Dell Alienware TactX Keyboard and Mouse £143 / $231
    Monitor: EDGE 10 22 INCH Wide Hard Glass 5ms X2 £703 / $1,137
    Water Cooling: Zalman Reserator XT £263 / $425
    PSU: ENERMAX MODU87+ 900W £222 / $359
    SATA Cable: CIT SATA 6Gb Data Transfer Cable X4 £24 / $39

    TOTAL £3,913 / $6,330


    Just gotta spec up a server now...doesn't have a budget!
  33. flong said:
    Just a point of observation; I had the HX 750 with a single ATI 5850 and I could tell that with my I-7 920 system that the PSU would be taxed and it was out of its best efficiency. Logically, you wouldn't think so but it would crank up to high fan with heavy use.

    If you want to stay in the most efficient range of the better PSUs you want a PSU to be 40-50% over capacity of the system. So if the system would draw 400 W at high usage, and 850 W would keep the unit in its most efficient range which is approximately from 25% - 70% capacity.

    The 750 HX is a great PSU but it would definitely heat up with just a single GPU. For my second computer I chose the 850 HX for that reason. I wanted to keep the PSU in the peak efficiency and have it run cooler and quieter.

    For SLI of the more serious GPUs like the 580 I recently have been recommending the Corsair AX 1200 and I have got a lot of grief for it from the crowd that wants to get the cheapest PSU possible.

    There are several reasons for this recommendation:

    1. At peak demand the PSU will be operating at 50% - 60% capacity. At this capacity it will be over 90% efficient (close to 91%)

    2. A the low end demand the PSU will still be approximately 88% efficient which is one of the best efficiencies available at the 230 W range

    3. At these demand levels the fan will not even kick in most of the time and the PSU will be silent

    4. During high demand the fan will not be on high and will be virtually silent

    5. The AX 1200 can be purchased for around $250 if one is patient enough to wait for the right sale

    6. The AX 1200 is fully modular and has a seven year warranty - the best in the business per dollar

    Yes you can get by with an 850 TX or HX because they put out nearly 1000W but they won't perform as efficiently or as coolly and quietly as the AX 1200 and will cost you 3% - 9% efficiency over the life of the PSU. If you run your system 24 hours a day, this costs a lot. Most people use their computer multiple hours a day.

    Unless the builder is severely budget limited, the AX 1200 is well worth the extra $50 over competing 1000W PSUs of lesser quality and efficiency, not to mention the convenience of modular cabling.

    For a single GPU (a serious GPU) I recommend the HX850 by Corsair. For two smaller GPUs like the GTX 560, probably the HX 850 would put you in the sweet spot of efficiency and quietness but it would depend on the total system.

    Remember that there are other components that draw power from the PSU in a complete system and so in spec'ing a PSU, the total system must be evaluated. Also the inefficiency of each of the components must be taken into account.



    Facepalm. There is just so much misinformation in this post. I run two 560Ti's right now with an HX750 and it is perfectly fine. You could probably get away with a 650W honestly. Its not as simple as "two gpus, derp, need 850W."
  34. this is a build with a budget of 2000$. also for gaming the i5 2500k (p67/z68 motherboard) is the best processor you can buy and that 975 is slow and inefficient compared to the i5 2500k. also the gtx 480 is slow and inefficient. you dont need to put the monitor keyboard and mouse sata cables (motherboards come with sata cables 3gb/s & 6gb/s ones). you might want to cut back on the case, motherboard, memory (8gb 1600mhz is what is recommended 2x4gb), dvd burner instead of a bluray, hard drive- 1tb storage 120gb ssd, and get a good air cooler for the cpu which is all that is needed with the new sandy bridge processors. look to buy from ebuyer they have better prices.
  35. majin ssj eric said:
    Facepalm. There is just so much misinformation in this post. I run two 560Ti's right now with an HX750 and it is perfectly fine. You could probably get away with a 650W honestly. Its not as simple as "two gpus, derp, need 850W."

    he is talking about the most efficirnt wattage would be for 2 560 ti's and i agree it is 850 watts. 750 watts is the least i would do.
  36. Yes the 750HX will run two 560s - I agree. The unit puts out almost 900 W in some professional reviews and that is why it is a great unit - I love the HX series by Corsair. However, you are probably in the low 80s in efficiency and I will bet that the fan cranks up to the high setting on a regular basis. This also adds heat to your case and the HX 750 is somewhat noisy at high fan.

    If you had the 850 HX you would be running at 91% efficiency most of the time (nearly all the time with your setup) and the PSU would run cooler and quieter. Frequently the price difference between the two units drops to $20 or less. About three weeks ago the HX 850 dropped to $119.00 after rebate which is actually less than the HX 750.

    So you are talking about an 8% - 9% efficiency difference, which will add up in cost over time to run the less efficient PSU. So even though the HX 750 will run two cards, it may not be the best choice for builders who can afford to upgrade to the HX 850.

    For high power cards like the 580 or 6970, an 850 W PSU begans to experience the same problems because the PSU is run into the 70% + capacity range during heavy use. Even a high power 850 PSU like the HX 850 which is capable of putting out over 1000W drops to approximately 84% efficiency. The AX 1200 stays in the 90% - 91% efficiency range even at peak use.

    The 6% - 7% efficiency savings can add up over years of use on a high power SLI or CF system. A full system with two 580s approaches 700 W of usage in high use situations depending on the number of components on the system. This does not take into account overclocking several system components like the CPU, the GPU and the mobo. If the user is gaming a lot and overclocking, then there would be a significant cost savings on power consumed.

    And as I mentioned before, the AX 1200 is cheap for a 1200W PSU and it will run virtually silent and very cool while powering an overclocked GTX 580 SLI setup. This is why it is worthy of consideration where budget allows.

    All PSUs when they are pushed past the 70% - 80% capacity mark heat up significantly - even the highly regarded Corsair PSUs and gold rated PSUs from other manufacturers. This adds extra heat to your case which could be avoided by going to a bigger PSU that still maintains high efficiency at the low-end power use of the system.
  37. All that sounds good- But you are once again forgetting price. It's like saying go tri-sli with 3 GTX 580's, even though you probably won't use them all the way.

    It all comes down to price. Why buy a PSU that's $100 more, when a cheaper one get's the job done with ample efficiency and power? It's cost. You could pump that $100 into something that will give you real world benefit, like a better GPU or CPU. No reason to get a super high end unit for a gaming machine on a budget.
  38. striker410 said:
    All that sounds good- But you are once again forgetting price. It's like saying go tri-sli with 3 GTX 580's, even though you probably won't use them all the way.

    It all comes down to price. Why buy a PSU that's $100 more, when a cheaper one get's the job done with ample efficiency and power? It's cost. You could pump that $100 into something that will give you real world benefit, like a better GPU or CPU. No reason to get a super high end unit for a gaming machine on a budget.


    I do mention budget constraints and cost. You are right they are important. Obviously if someone has a limited budget going to the method of spec'ing 200 W extra over the system's maximum usage is an option.

    For me, I like the peace of mind of having a stable, cool and quiet PSU. It means a lot to me to not always be hearing the PSU kick in. That is a personal like of mine. Others may be different and that is OK.

    Some enthusiasts crank up their system with a loud CPU cooler and extra fans and they may not care if the PSU is quiet and they may not care about extra efficiency.

    I think for this thread the CPU and GPUs are pretty well agreed upon to be either two 6970s or two 580s. If a person was to go with two 6970s, they could go with either an efficient 850 W PSU (HX 850), a 1000 W PSU or the AX 1200. The cost difference between the 850W is around the $100 you cite. The cost difference between the 1000W and AX 1200 is negligible in most cases when comparing apples to apples in quality.

    So for CF 6970, the AX 1200 could probably be fitted into a $2000 budget and you could go with a cheaper case like the CM 692 Storm II ($60 on sale or $80 not on sale).
  39. Now you have me interested in a rough system:

    How about:

    Two 6970 in CF - $680 ($655 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554

    CM 692 II $90 ($80 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

    Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler - $90

    GSkill 2 x 4GB RAM DDR3 1866 - $84.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

    Corsair AX 1200 PSU - $279.00: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Performance-1200-Watt-CMPSU-1200AX/dp/B003PJ6QVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308447967&sr=8-1

    Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB - $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Crucial M4 128 GB SSD - $229.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442&cm_re=crucial_m4_ct128m4ssd2-_-20-148-442-_-Product

    Asus P867 PRO motherboard - $175: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703&cm_re=asus_p67_pro-_-13-131-703-_-Product

    2500K CPU - $220.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&cm_re=2500k-_-19-115-072-_-Product

    Optical DVD - $25

    1 extra CM 120 mm Fan for the case- $15

    Optical Bluray burner OEM - $100 - $125

    Total $2013.00

    Optional upgrades to budget :


    Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers - $222: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Corsair+sp2500&x=0&y=0

    Asus Xonar DX sound card - $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

    Total Media Theater 5 Bluray software - $100: http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/featured_products.asp?id=ESTORE

    This would be a wicked fast gaming computer with a full 128 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD (Crucial M4 is about $100 cheaper than the Vertex 3 and is very near the same performance and appears to be more reliable). It would also cool very well and have a 12x blu ray burner/player

    You would be able to overclock this computer to the max because of the great cooling capacity of the components. It would also run very quietly with the 6970s being the noisiest component in the case.

    It is doubtful that you would see any real benefit in game playing by going to an SLI 580 system for approximately $350 more. Yes the 580s would be faster but I am not sure you would see it at all in any games except maybeeee Metro 2033 and Crysis. I confess that I am not a heavy gamer and so correct me if I am wrong.

    We are right at the $2000 budget but it doesn't include an OEM copy of Windows 7 or speakers or a sound card. Still, if you eliminate the bluray player, you can include a copy of Windows 7.
  40. 1.Bubbles Build
    2.Processor: I7 950 1366 for 259.99
    3.Motherboard: Evga x58 Classified 3 for 369.99
    4.RAM: 8gb. GSkill Ripsaw 1333 (2x4) for 84.99
    5.Graphics Card: 2x Evga 570s for 359.99 ea
    6.Hard Drive: Mulskin 60bg SSD for 144.99
    7.Case: Coolermaster HAF X for 199.99
    8.Power Supply: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000w for 189.99
    9.Cooling: H50 for 69.99
    10.DVD Burner: Sony DVD drive for 16.99

    total with current Prices on new egg is 1991.
    This is including the current newegg deals

    This is actually a cheeper version of the build I just finished ordering the parts for. But here it is. the OC capability of this pc to would allow you to bring that CPU to 4.0 eaisly.
  41. wiskibubbles said:
    1.Bubbles Build
    2.Processor: I7 950 1366 for 259.99
    3.Motherboard: Evga x58 Classified 3 for 369.99
    4.RAM: 8gb. GSkill Ripsaw 1333 (2x4) for 84.99
    5.Graphics Card: 2x Evga 570s for 359.99 ea
    6.Hard Drive: Mulskin 60bg SSD for 144.99
    7.Case: Coolermaster HAF X for 199.99
    8.Power Supply: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000w for 189.99
    9.Cooling: H50 for 69.99
    10.DVD Burner: Sony DVD drive for 16.99

    total with current Prices on new egg is 1991.
    This is including the current newegg deals

    This is actually a cheeper version of the build I just finished ordering the parts for. But here it is. the OC capability of this pc to would allow you to bring that CPU to 4.0 eaisly.


    Just curious, why do you choose th I-7 950 over the I-5 2500K for a gaming computer?
  42. why I did what I did is so that when the newer CPUS come out or when 1366 becomes a standard socket Ill be in place already and wount have to spend more to upgrade if my Mobo is still decently compaired to the new ones
  43. wiskibubbles said:
    why I did what I did is so that when the newer CPUS come out or when 1366 becomes a standard socket Ill be in place already and wount have to spend more to upgrade if my Mobo is still decently compaired to the new ones


    1366 isn't going to be the new socket.
  44. Yup, LGA 2011 is the next gen bro.
  45. flong said:
    Now you have me interested in a rough system:

    How about:

    Two 6970 in CF - $680 ($655 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554

    CM 692 II $90 ($80 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

    Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler - $90

    GSkill 2 x 4GB RAM DDR3 1866 - $84.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

    Corsair AX 1200 PSU - $279.00: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Performance-1200-Watt-CMPSU-1200AX/dp/B003PJ6QVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308447967&sr=8-1

    Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB - $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Crucial M4 128 GB SSD - $229.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442&cm_re=crucial_m4_ct128m4ssd2-_-20-148-442-_-Product

    Asus P867 PRO motherboard - $175: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703&cm_re=asus_p67_pro-_-13-131-703-_-Product

    2500K CPU - $220.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&cm_re=2500k-_-19-115-072-_-Product

    Optical DVD - $25

    1 extra CM 120 mm Fan for the case- $15

    Optical Bluray burner OEM - $100 - $125

    Total $2013.00

    Optional upgrades to budget :


    Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers - $222: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Corsair+sp2500&x=0&y=0

    Asus Xonar DX sound card - $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

    Total Media Theater 5 Bluray software - $100: http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/featured_products.asp?id=ESTORE

    This would be a wicked fast gaming computer with a full 128 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD (Crucial M4 is about $100 cheaper than the Vertex 3 and is very near the same performance and appears to be more reliable). It would also cool very well and have a 12x blu ray burner/player

    You would be able to overclock this computer to the max because of the great cooling capacity of the components. It would also run very quietly with the 6970s being the noisiest component in the case.

    It is doubtful that you would see any real benefit in game playing by going to an SLI 580 system for approximately $350 more. Yes the 580s would be faster but I am not sure you would see it at all in any games except maybeeee Metro 2033 and Crysis. I confess that I am not a heavy gamer and so correct me if I am wrong.

    We are right at the $2000 budget but it doesn't include an OEM copy of Windows 7 or speakers or a sound card. Still, if you eliminate the bluray player, you can include a copy of Windows 7.


    the noctua is 82$ at amazon
  46. wiskibubbles said:

    $370 for a dead end socket? This should have set off warning bells when you were designing the build.

    flong said:
    Now you have me interested in a rough system:

    ZOMG Flong finally submitted a build. I just lost $10.
  47. grody said:
    $370 for a dead end socket? This should have set off warning bells when you were designing the build.


    ZOMG Flong finally submitted a build. I just lost $10.



    Does that mean your buying the beer lol?
  48. toxictoad said:
    === Forgot prices and wouldn't let me save the edited post ===

    Hi all,

    I'm doing an assignment for college and we've been asked to spec up 3 different computers and the one I was working on last night falls right into this category, which is how I found this thread. It's a Gaming PC with a budget of £5,000 (approx $8,000). I haven't maxed out the budget but got close at £3,910 (approx $6,300) including vat @ 20% and all delivery charges.

    I've got all compatible parts to the best of my knowledge but any advice if it's wrong would be much appreciated!

    I wanted to speak to the shop about tubes for the Zalman Reserator and if they all came with the kit but they're closed so if anyone know's if I need to buy extras (CPU heat sink's supplied)

    So hear it is:
    (prices rounded to nearest £/$)

    Case: Lian Li PC-888U Aluminum Blue Full Tower £378 / $611
    CPU: Intel i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.3Ghz £874 / $1,414
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Black Edition Intel X58 £354 / $573
    Graphics Card: N480GTX-M2D15 £512 / $828
    Memory: A-DATA XPG GAMING SERIES V2 £132 / $214
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM X2 RAID 0 £220 / $356
    Optical Drive: Sony BD-5300S-0B Super Fast BluRay Writer £88 / $142
    Keyboard & Mouse: Dell Alienware TactX Keyboard and Mouse £143 / $231
    Monitor: EDGE 10 22 INCH Wide Hard Glass 5ms X2 £703 / $1,137
    Water Cooling: Zalman Reserator XT £263 / $425
    PSU: ENERMAX MODU87+ 900W £222 / $359
    SATA Cable: CIT SATA 6Gb Data Transfer Cable X4 £24 / $39

    TOTAL £3,913 / $6,330


    Just gotta spec up a server now...doesn't have a budget!


    Hi, if no one has answered you I would suggest that you start your own s separate thread in the "New Build" section and I am sure that you will get the feedback that you are seeking there. This thread is for building the best gaming PC on a $2000 budget and so it is a different subject.

    It is OK that you are seeking help and I would strongly suggest that you do start your own thread because there are several components in your build which may not offer you the best bang for your buck or in your case the best bang for your pound :-).

    A couple of examples where you could save money:

    1. The I-7 975 is over priced compared the the I-7 2600K because the 2600K will out perform it. For a pure gaming PC you could go with the 2500K and save even more money. The 2500K may be the fastest chip ever for a cost of $215. When modestly overclocked it is screaming fast and runs very cool compared to the 1366 CPUs.

    2. I looked up your monitor and it appeared to be overpriced also (but I am not in England either so I could be wrong). It looks like you are looking for a glass covered monitor (easy to clean and it protects the screen) and HP make several monitors that have a glass cover and they are much cheaper than the one you list.

    3. Definitely lose the GTX 480s because they are perhaps the hottest GPU to ever be released and the GTX 570 is cooler, quieter and faster. With your budget, you could afford to an SLI 580 configuration which would be screaming fast.

    Also you do a great job of listing your budget but I am not sure what you are going to use the computer for. You list it as a gaming PC but many components are not the best gaming choices. In your own thread list your goals for your computer.

    I hope that this helps you :-)
  49. flong said:
    Now you have me interested in a rough system:

    How about:

    Two 6970 in CF - $680 ($655 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127554

    CM 692 II $90 ($80 after rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

    Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler - $90

    GSkill 2 x 4GB RAM DDR3 1866 - $84.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

    Corsair AX 1200 PSU - $279.00: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Performance-1200-Watt-CMPSU-1200AX/dp/B003PJ6QVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308447967&sr=8-1

    Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB - $50: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Crucial M4 128 GB SSD - $229.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442&cm_re=crucial_m4_ct128m4ssd2-_-20-148-442-_-Product

    Asus P867 PRO motherboard - $175: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703&cm_re=asus_p67_pro-_-13-131-703-_-Product

    2500K CPU - $220.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&cm_re=2500k-_-19-115-072-_-Product

    Optical DVD - $25

    1 extra CM 120 mm Fan for the case- $15

    Optical Bluray burner OEM - $100 - $125

    Total $2013.00

    Optional upgrades to budget :


    Corsair SP2500 2.1 speakers - $222: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Corsair+sp2500&x=0&y=0

    Asus Xonar DX sound card - $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

    Total Media Theater 5 Bluray software - $100: http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/featured_products.asp?id=ESTORE

    This would be a wicked fast gaming computer with a full 128 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD (Crucial M4 is about $100 cheaper than the Vertex 3 and is very near the same performance and appears to be more reliable). It would also cool very well and have a 12x blu ray burner/player

    You would be able to overclock this computer to the max because of the great cooling capacity of the components. It would also run very quietly with the 6970s being the noisiest component in the case.

    It is doubtful that you would see any real benefit in game playing by going to an SLI 580 system for approximately $350 more. Yes the 580s would be faster but I am not sure you would see it at all in any games except maybeeee Metro 2033 and Crysis. I confess that I am not a heavy gamer and so correct me if I am wrong.

    We are right at the $2000 budget but it doesn't include an OEM copy of Windows 7 or speakers or a sound card. Still, if you eliminate the bluray player, you can include a copy of Windows 7.


    Why such a ridiculous psu? Its nice and all but almost $300, you'll never need the 1200 watts. A quality 850w psu would run 6970's in crossfire without a hiccup, and still leave you overhead for overclocking.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Tom's Hardware Components Systems Product