Explain Clarkdale i5 6xx chipst graphic processor options

dandla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hello,
I'm using the onboard graphic DVI hookup. I was using a Lynnfield i5 760 and changed the BIOS graphic adapter option from default of PCIE/PCI to PCI/PCIE. Then I learned I couldn't get onboard graphics with that chipset and changed to a Clarkdale i5 650. I'm getting onboard graphics however it's not stable...sometimes I get a graphics signal and sometimes not.
Do I need to change the BIOS chipset graphics option to enable better stability/reliability? If so what option is best for DVI-D

could not get onboard graphics

Solution
Doing a CMOS clear (RTC RAM) would be a good step.

As for a POST beep, normal speakers wont give that to you. There is a 4 pin connector towards the bottom right of the motherboard that you hook up to a speaker thats on your case or a small one.

Looked at your mobo, it does not have a built in speaker.

dandla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Well with the CPU you have, the graphics is built into the CPU packaging itself. So if you are having issues getting a signal, then its probably a bad motherboard. I would see about RMAing the motherboard and trying again. With most of them, if there is not other graphics adapter plugged into the PCIe or PCI slot it should default to the integrated.

Also one note, when you don't get a video signal, do you get a POST beep at all? If not then its a no post issue which would be CPU or memory.

dandla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Aloha Jimmysmitty,
thanks for the reply and question...
I don't have speakers hooked up so I don't know if I get a POST beep. When you say if there's no POST beep it must be a CPU or memory issue, could you be a little more specific? If I do get a POST beep, what does that indicate?
B-T-W...while reading thru the ASUS user manual again, I notice a comment about the memory architecture and 32bit O/S's relationship with more than 3GB's memory. I'm currently loaded with 4GB's RAM and using 32bit WIN-XPSP3. Would this be an example of a memory issue you reference above? Certainly can't hurt to remove a 2GB stick of memory.
I'll try that tomorrow and post the results.
mahalo again for your reply,
konadon :pt1cable:

The POST beep is from either a speaker built into the motherboard or one you have connected to the motherboard. The connector is usually next to where you connect a power button.

And no, the 3GB for 32bit is not an issue. 32bit is just limited to a toal of 4 GB total (2^32) meaning that you can have a total of 4GB of system RAM, caches, GPU RAM etc. So if you have a system with a dedicated PCIe GPU, you will normally get between 3-3.5GB of your 4GB as useable. But its not causing the issue at all.

dandla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Aloha Jimmysmitty,
Thanks again for your reply and continued interest in this issue.
Thanks for clarifying the RAM issue...before I loogged into the forum, I had booted-up and removed a 2GB stick of RAM...did nothing.
Booted up 2 more times, listening for a POST beep. There is no POST beep...hookedup spkrs to make sure.

If I clear the RTC RAM, the system setup info would be reset and possibly give me a clean slate to work with???

Doing a CMOS clear (RTC RAM) would be a good step.

As for a POST beep, normal speakers wont give that to you. There is a 4 pin connector towards the bottom right of the motherboard that you hook up to a speaker thats on your case or a small one.

Looked at your mobo, it does not have a built in speaker.

Solution

dandla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
aloha Jimmysmitty,
Clearing the RTC/RAM was the silver bullet giving me the DVI graphics that I lost. After that I loaded ASUS BIOS upgrade and drivers via a USB stick and rebooted and all was well.
Again thank you so much for your patience and help.
Mahalo plenty...Konadon