Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600w

Last response: in Components
September 3, 2011 4:10:13 AM

Is it good enough for mid range cards like 6850 and GTX 460.Does its low efficiency causes electricity bills to rise considerably.
a c 288 ) Power supply
September 3, 2011 4:18:11 AM

To be honest, the 600W eXtreme Power Plus is a crap unit, like the rest of its series you would be best staying clear of it and getting a better unit. Here is a review of it.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

Above 450W load, HW secrets saw its 12VB rail dropping below the 11.4 V limit which is the bottom edge of ATX spec, to fail voltage regulation is quite bad, especially to fail it over 100W below max load level. Here is a quote from their conclusion.

"Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off."

I would advise against buying that unit these days, i dont care what you plan to run on it, there are vastly better options out there for only slightly more.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2011 3:39:40 PM

hunter315 said:
To be honest, the 600W eXtreme Power Plus is a crap unit, like the rest of its series you would be best staying clear of it and getting a better unit. Here is a review of it.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

Above 450W load, HW secrets saw its 12VB rail dropping below the 11.4 V limit which is the bottom edge of ATX spec, to fail voltage regulation is quite bad, especially to fail it over 100W below max load level. Here is a quote from their conclusion.

"Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off."

I would advise against buying that unit these days, i dont care what you plan to run on it, there are vastly better options out there for only slightly more.

What about the GX series.
m
l
a c 288 ) Power supply
September 3, 2011 3:44:44 PM

The 450W unit was alright, but the Seventeam made line up that ends in -E3 had major ripple issues on the minor rails above half load, there havent been any reviews of the GX series that ends in -D3 except for the 450W unit. Honestly i would just stay clear of Cooler Master units, there are a few going units in their line up but many of their units are not good.
m
l
September 3, 2011 4:27:47 PM

hunter315 said:
The 450W unit was alright, but the Seventeam made line up that ends in -E3 had major ripple issues on the minor rails above half load, there havent been any reviews of the GX series that ends in -D3 except for the 450W unit. Honestly i would just stay clear of Cooler Master units, there are a few going units in their line up but many of their units are not good.

Ok so have you heard about FSP Blue Storm pro and Epsilon 80Plus.Is it any good.
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:41:43 PM

I must say that in the 15 months ive had the Cooler Master 600w ive had no problems until i by my own fault flipped the voltage switch causing the PSU to short. But this would've been the case with any PSU having the wrong voltage altogether. While i agree there maybe better options out there for people that already have one i'd say its not so bad. Plus i live in a place where power surges are commonplace.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 6:12:13 PM

BilalAthar said:
Ok so have you heard about FSP Blue Storm pro and Epsilon 80Plus.Is it any good.

Those two particular lines of PSUs are not very good....they were a slppery slope of degrading quality from a once very reputable mfr. Do you have a website where we can take a look at the PSUs that are available?
m
l
!