Hi everyone,

This is my current setup:

Mainboard: Biostar TA890GXB
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 SE (Fermi) - running dual monitors
HDD: 2 Western Digital internals (250GB & 320GB) SATA
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W

I honestly have no idea how to figure out if 700W isn't enough to run my system or not. I'm having locking/BSOD issues... and there's a rather lengthy post on the Nvidia forums about fermi based cards locking up. I'm honestly wondering if I'm just having power issues. Thanks!

Helltech

Distinguished

Its not about having the right amount of power (in your situation at least), you have more then enough, the problem is that it is a ROSEWILL low quality PSU, that is more then likely causing your problem. You could run that system with a 550w Antec, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic etc.... PSU with ease.

That doesnt' really help you solve your problem though.

1) Do you have another friends PSU you can test?

I would not install a Rosewell PSU, This does not mean that it is your problem.
There are a few things you can do to help isolate this.
Disregard if alread have done.
(1) down load and install these two programs:(a) Cpuid HWMonitor and (b) prime 95
(2) Kill two birds with one stone:
... (A) Run HWMonitor and note voltages and temps. If Plus 12 V is less than 11.6 (spec is 11.4, but if 11.6 when you load it it will drop further) or +5 V is less than + 4.8 V (spec is 4.75) Do not pass go, do not colect $200 - Replace PSU
...(B) This was at Idle. the next step if you passed (A) is to load the system. With HWMonitor still running run Prime 95 and again monitor voltages and temps (PS Google safe temps for your CPU, I'm an Intel CPU lover). If PSU voltages are still good and temps stay under max, let prime 95 run for at least 2 hours to verify no memory/cpu problems.

Added:
Need to monitor while running prime 95 rather closely for the first 15 - 20 minutes then can just periodically check on status.
Links to CPUID HWMonitor and Prime 95:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Are any of the system components overclocked? If any components are overclocked set them back to stock clock speeds and determine if the problem still occurs.

Are the lockups and BSODs happening in 2D or only in 3D graphics mode?

If it's happening in 2D mode download and run memtest86+ to determine if you have any faulty memory module(s).

The power supply wattage is more than sufficient to run your system configuration. A reference version GeForce GTX 460 SE will draw a maximum of 13.3 Amps from the +12 Volt rail. The Rosewill RG700-S12 is suppose to able to provide up to 54 Amps on its single +12 Volt rail.

jcarter

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
It doesn't matter if I'm doing 2D or 3D stuff.

I've done all of the following so far:

I've run Memtest86+, and since my heatsink covers bank 0, I only use bank 1. I did 1 stick in 1 slot... ran it at stock settings over night with 10 passes, 0 errors. Put that stick in the 2nd slot by itself, ran 1 pass, no erros. Put my other stick into the first slot by itself, and put it in the 2nd slot... ran 1 pass each, 0 errors. I put both sticks in, ran 1 pass, 0 errors.

I also have run Memtest86+ with the settings that Corsair has told me that I have to force my memory to for AMD processors: DDR1333 & 1.7v. I was also told that I may need to up the CPU-NB voltage for the memory controller as well. I had no errors again, so I'm beginning to be content that it's not my memory.

I've run Prime95, I can never get past the 8K test... which is about 15-20 mins in.

I will be trying the HWMonitor and ripping out some Prime95 to go with it to see about my voltages. I appreciate the help, and will post back!

jcarter

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Well, now I'm really at a loss... Here's what's happened since, and while I started trying to post this message the first time...

First off, just to get a fresh benchmark, I ran Prime95 with all settings to default, no OC'ing. I don't OC at all anyway, and the only changes I've ever made were those that Corsair told me to make with the DDR and CPU-NB voltage. Prime95 crashed with both sticks of memory (2x4GB) at the 8K test. I tried to see what HWMonitor showed, but it rebooted before I could.

Then, I upped the DDR voltage to 1.7v, and the CPU-NB up by 0.15v. When I ran Prime95 that time, I let it run til I cancelled it after an hour. All the voltages only showed a 0.01-0.03v change between the Min/Max. So I decided that since some of my podcasts I normally watch were on, that I'd watch them. While I was doing that and surfing around... everything went fine. However, after I was done and decided to go back to Prime95 and run the 2hr test, I saw that HWMonitor showed that my +12V rail had a "Min" of 5.23V. That worried me... so I restarted HWMonitor to reset...

I then ran my 2nd Prime95 test. I left it going for an hour and 45 mins, and came back to my PC and the +5V rail was showing 2.3V as a "Min". I came on here to post about it, when the PC crashed and rebooted. It passed the 14K test, but crashed on the one after it (not sure which that is).

Also... CPU temperatures never rose above 34C, and nothing was crazy high at all.

Is this showing that my PSU is defective and it's RMA time? Also, the +3.3V rail is always showing 2.08V-2.10V... is that normal?

As ko888 stated - I would verify the voltages with a DVM. See if the voltmeter reads the same as what is being displayed. NOTE the DVM is not going to show a "spike" in the DC voltage if it is in the millisecond range.

The +5 and the +12 V are easy to measure Meter lead Black to black pin on a molex connector. The red meter lead would go to the Red lead on a molex (+5V) and to the Yellow lead for the +12 V. The +3.3 Is more difficualt as this is on the 20/24 pin connector (orange wire pin 1 or 2 or 12).

A low cost multimeter can normally be found at an auto parts store. About $20. A DVM is very usefull around the Home and auto, not just for computers. How to Use:
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Multimeter

For many, the best option is to beg/borrow a known good PSU and try it.

jcarter

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Ok, I've hit a brick wall...

Turned on my PC this morning, and straight up the monitors wouldn't turn on. Tried my old working 9800GT to no avail. Tried swapping my fiance's working Antec PSU into it, and it was the same. I've determined that all of my issues from start to finish have been my mainboard... joy...

Thank you all for all the help troubleshooting my issues!