Are my CPU sockets bent/slanted or ar they manufactured that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonus11

Honorable
May 22, 2012
hi guys! i'm new here! i have a question about my motherboards CPU socket pins and a few pictures i would like you guys to have a look at and tell me if something looks wrong or odd. ok so first the question. i bought an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard and when i installed it, it wouldn't load. called the manufacturer, had me run some test and they told me i had defective DIMM slots. so i called newegg and RMA'd it. newegg then told me the CPU socket pin(s) had apparent end-user damage and denied the RMA. so i got it back today and i took a look at it. it looks like one of the pins is bent but when i look at all of the other pins they all look slanted, though i can't tell because they're so small. so i'm headed off to staples right now to buy a strong magnifying glass to have a better look at it. but anyway my question is this: are the pins on this board manufactured this way (slanted)? or am i just looking at it incorrectly and THINK they are slanted when in fact they aren't? also here are the pictures i want you guy's to have a look at.

Solution
All of those should work without you having to do anything.

I would think they would all be powered by the 24 pin monster cable that connects to the motherboard.

The only other cable that should be going to the motherboard besides the monster is the one that goes up there in the top left that is 2 rows of 4. That is the CPU power cable and powers nothing else.

Other than those two cables, the PSU shouldn't connect to the motherboard any other way.
Can you return it directly to Asus and not to newegg?

As for the other question, I recently installed a 3570k and I didn't notice that any or all the pins were bent on it, but I didn't look with any sort of high powered device either.

I think they are generally supposed to be straight, not with all of them bent at the same angle.

leonus11

Honorable
May 22, 2012
yeah next time I'll just send it back to ASUS instead of newegg. they told me that no matter whose fault it was, if there is damage to the board (or any other merchandise) then they'll just deny the RMA. also, i grabbed a pretty good magnifying glass at staples and was able to see the pin relatively well. so i went and bought a razor and VERY VERY CAREFULLY bent the pin back into place. took me about 2 hours because i was being VERY careful, but i got it back in its place, placed the CPU into the socket, connected everything that had to be connected and.....VIOLA! the motherboard was posting and my monitor was displaying a picture! i swear though, newegg is an AWESOME company but their RMA center's need a bit of revising.

Newegg does really well with RMAing EXCEPT if there has been damage. If you want to RMA something with no visible problems, they are great with it. If you tell them the RAM makes your computers crash or whatever they will accept the RMA unless the stick is broken in half or whatever.

I have heard of people unbending their own pins on the CPU successfully. Glad you were able to accomplish the same thing.

leonus11

Honorable
May 22, 2012
yeah I'm not going to lie, the only reason they didn't accept the RMA was because they said that the manufacturer (ASUS) wouldn't accept it and that they'd tell newegg to send it back to me and to tell me to ship it to ASUS so that they can investigate if the damage was caused by the end-user or if it was a manufacturer fault. it's just the manner that they said it in kinda rubbed me the wrong like "damage caused by apparent end-user"? like......really? me? if i would have damaged it wouldn't more pins have been bent? because i know i installed the CPU correctly (with the little cuts/holes on the CPU aligned with the little......ummmm....notches i guess is what they're called, on the CPU socket). and if it was caused by me then why, when i bent the pin back into place, didn't any other pins get bent? especially when i installed the CPU in THE EXACT SAME MANNER I FIRST INSTALLED IT WHEN I FIRST RECEIVED MY ORDER? i just feel that the RMA department of newegg could have worded it a bit differently. anyways who cares, newegg in general has been AWESOME to me and this is the ONLY time i received something like this from them. all of my other merchandise have been sent to me in NEAR PERFECT OR PERFECT condition. i certainly wouldn't go overboard like some other people would and say "screw newegg, i just spent like 300$ on this and the won't even replace it! they just lost a long time customer" because i LOVE newegg! anywho's, thanks for chatting with me bud! i really need to get that out of my system. oh yeah, i have just one more question. my PSU only has 1 USB connector and i really would to have ALL of my USB ports functioning. where can i buy some more cable's so that i can connect the rest of my USB ports?

If you mean your case has only 1 cable for the USB 3.0 front panel slots (or top slots), I assume you would be able to get such things also on newegg. I have never shopped for the USB 3 connector cables before so I really couldn't say.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

leonus11

Honorable
May 22, 2012
well you kinda got it right. i connected the cable the was attached to the PSU (it was a USB cable) to the motherboard and the upper portion of the USB's on the motherboard are usable. here's a picture to help you better understand.

the USB's highlighted in green are the ones that work. the one's highlighted in red are the ones that don't work (or rather they are the one's that i need cabled for so that i can get them to work). I'm assuming that the case i have (cooler master HAF 922) has a cable some where, tucked away somewhere around where the hard drive is located or maybe where the DVD drive(s) are supposed to go.

All of those should work without you having to do anything.

I would think they would all be powered by the 24 pin monster cable that connects to the motherboard.

The only other cable that should be going to the motherboard besides the monster is the one that goes up there in the top left that is 2 rows of 4. That is the CPU power cable and powers nothing else.

Other than those two cables, the PSU shouldn't connect to the motherboard any other way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.