Computer turns itself off and on when booting.

Slade182

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I've build a pc yesterday with 100% new parts expect for a GPU which is about 6months old. It has no problems besides he fact when I do a cold boot it will turn on for 2sec, shut off again, and then automatically turn itself on and run fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Greetings,

Slate.

Does it do it only when you've had the power supply turned off/unplugged?

A lot of newer motherboards do that; my old EVGA X58 FTW3 did that, but its not really limited to a specific brand. Nothing is defective or anything like that.

Slade182

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hm, I've had it unplugged yesterday yeah. But since have already booted twice, both times it did it. It doesn't do anything strange when rebooting though, only a cold boot.

Thanks for the help regardless!

rwlomas

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I've had the same problem.

When I start from cold (PSU turned off) it fails the first time after like a second, then boots again and loads normal.

Does anyone have any ideas how we might fix this?

Cheers

What some of us think it is is that the capacitors need power to charge, so it has to get the current flowing before it can boot. At least, this was the consensus last time I checked when I encountered the same thing with my board.

There isn't really a way to fix it, just know that your board isn't defective.

Slade182

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I'm having it with the P8P67 Pro rev 3.1. The thing for me is that it's not really a big issue, it just makes booting take 10sec longer. Which is a shame with a brand new SSD but I guess what's 10sec in a life? If there's nothing wrong with the computer then I'll just deal with the 10sec extra. Thanks a lot for the help everyone! Makes me feel better about haha