MiniPCI WiFi on Compaq Evo N800w ??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 11:32:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.sys.laptops.alcam,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello everyone,

I've cruised along the newsgroup and found nothing about that:

I've been told that the MiniPCI slot in the Evo N800w could accept a
802.11g module but there was NO way to install antennas in the laptop
chassis, lacking some room to make the antenna cables fit in eventual
free space.

Has anyone some experience on that?

Thanks for you help

P.S.: Xposted on all laptop related NGs, followup to comp.sys.laptops

--
-------
Olivier

Olivier,
First of all, can you answer me some important questions?

1. Was the Evo N800w you have made before HP bought Compaq?

2. Is #1 true for all N800w laptops?

3. What was the next N800w-like laptop released after the N800w? (because I've never heard of
a N810w, like they made N610c and N410c)

4. Was the laptop in #3 made after HP bought Compaq? (I strongly think so, BTW).

5. What are all of the docking stations that the N800w supports?

6. Does the N800c have a MultiPort slot on the lid, like a lot of other Evo's (and some very
few Presarios)?

I do have some related experience, so if you can answer all of my questions, then I will take
the time to give the knowledge and advice that I have.

Cool_X

Olivier wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've cruised along the newsgroup and found nothing about that:
>
> I've been told that the MiniPCI slot in the Evo N800w could accept a
> 802.11g module but there was NO way to install antennas in the laptop
> chassis, lacking some room to make the antenna cables fit in eventual
> free space.
>
> Has anyone some experience on that?
>
> Thanks for you help
>
> P.S.: Xposted on all laptop related NGs, followup to comp.sys.laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 4:45:53 AM

I forgot to mention that Olivier can ask someone who does know for the questions I asked that
he doesn't know.

It would also be appreciated if anyone else could answer my questions, as well.

Cool_X

Olivier wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've cruised along the newsgroup and found nothing about that:
>
> I've been told that the MiniPCI slot in the Evo N800w could accept a
> 802.11g module but there was NO way to install antennas in the laptop
> chassis, lacking some room to make the antenna cables fit in eventual
> free space.
>
> Has anyone some experience on that?
>
> Thanks for you help
>
> P.S.: Xposted on all laptop related NGs, followup to comp.sys.laptops

a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 5:03:32 PM

I'll answer these questions as best I can, since I'm curious about this,
too. Some folks are selling mini-PCI wireless cards on Ebay they say will
go in Evo n800s/Presario 2800s (in place of the modem card). I wondered a
while back about modifying a card to fit in the multiport slot, but gave up
on that idea.

> First of all, can you answer me some important questions?
>
> 1. Was the Evo N800w you have made before HP bought Compaq?
SEE #2. I HAVE A PRESARIO 2800T (SAME AS N800C) WHICH WAS MADE IN EARLY-TO-
MID 2002. TECHNICALLY, MANUFACTURE COULD PREDATE THE ACTUAL MERGER.

> 2. Is #1 true for all N800w laptops?
NO, AFAIK

> 3. What was the next N800w-like laptop released after the N800w?
> (because I've never heard of a N810w, like they made N610c and N410c)
THERE'S AN N1000 SERIES EVO

> 4. Was the laptop in #3 made after HP bought Compaq? (I strongly
> think so, BTW).
YES. N100O SERIES EVOS SHARE A SERVICE MANUAL WITH HP MODELS OF NX AND ZE
SERIES

> 5. What are all of the docking stations that the N800w supports?
288502-001, 285289-001, AND 316193-001

> 6. Does the N800c have a MultiPort slot on the lid, like a lot of
> other Evo's (and some very few Presarios)?
YES. PRESARIO 2800 SERIES, BTW, ARE ALL ESSENTIALLY IDENTICAL TO EVO N800
SERIES.

Thanks,

Josh Schneider
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 2:57:50 AM

Cool_X brought next idea :
> Olivier,
> First of all, can you answer me some important questions?
>
> 1. Was the Evo N800w you have made before HP bought Compaq?
>
> 2. Is #1 true for all N800w laptops?
>
> 3. What was the next N800w-like laptop released after the N800w? (because
> I've never heard of a N810w, like they made N610c and N410c)
>
> 4. Was the laptop in #3 made after HP bought Compaq? (I strongly think so,
> BTW).
>
> 5. What are all of the docking stations that the N800w supports?
>
> 6. Does the N800c have a MultiPort slot on the lid, like a lot of other
> Evo's (and some very few Presarios)?
>
> I do have some related experience, so if you can answer all of my questions,
> then I will take the time to give the knowledge and advice that I have.
>
> Cool_X
>
> Olivier wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've cruised along the newsgroup and found nothing about that:
>>
>> I've been told that the MiniPCI slot in the Evo N800w could accept a
>> 802.11g module but there was NO way to install antennas in the laptop
>> chassis, lacking some room to make the antenna cables fit in eventual free
>> space.
>>
>> Has anyone some experience on that?
>>
>> Thanks for you help
>>
>> P.S.: Xposted on all laptop related NGs, followup to comp.sys.laptops

Hello Coll_X

1. Definitely YES. Evo N800w has a Compaq design of its own

2. I guess so since N800 series were Compaq's top of cream laptops

3. N800w was the highest in its class and the next series were released
after the HP/Compaq merger (as far as I remember, since I was a Compaq
employee). I don't know what series came next however.

4. By definition since Evo brand remained but HP arrived

5. BC367A and BC366A (HP product numbering) Standard and Advanced
replicators, respectively

6. Yes and BTW I use it for WiFi but I'm fed up with 11mbps and that's
why I'd like to use MiniPCI tu insert a 54mbps module

Hope this helps and that you can help me find out how to insert
antennas in the chassis of my N800w.

Olivier

--
-------