I dropped my 2600k in box before opening it - What should I do?

markc9

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
So I dropped my 2600k from about 2-3 feet while it was still in the box. It didn't land flat but it didn't bounce either; kind of landed on the edge between the side and the front and then gravity made it fall flat after. There isn't any damage to the box at all from the fall outside of a scratch maybe. The thing is, I can technically still return it and just get a new one.

Experiences with these? I'm guessing it goes through worse in the mail when ordered online. Then again a lot of the folk from here say they have to RMA there stuff sooooooooooo

Should I return it or not worry about it?

D

Deleted member 362816

Um, the sb cpus dont really have pins like amd's do, I have beat the hell out of my 2600k, and it still runs dont worrie about it.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
The case will have absorbed the impact, which is partly it's job. If it fell on the edge, then it's not like the CPU hit the ground first. The shock will have gone from the cardboard case, mostly dissipated and then shaken the plastic case that the CPU is in. It'll have had a small jolt, but nothing excessive or damaging.

And yes, Sandybridge chips have pads, not pins. And I'd not ever, ever take needle-nose pliers to a CPU. Use a credit card or something similar. Much finer control...you risk taking the pin clean off using something like pliers.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
the socket pin , which is located on the 1155 socket on MB is the most sensitive part not the cpu itself IMHO. so the cpu itself is quite study since its interface is an non-moving flat gold pads, you can visually inspect it if you want. so unless its rubbed against, say, cement ill be fine.

although not related to your question, before your install the cpu there are something I wanted to caution you agaist. do DROP THE CPU IN / REMOVE THE CPU VERTICALLY, never mate cpu with lga socket at an angle ever! I bent my own gold socket pins but luckily with cougar point chipset recall I got new shiny motherboard.