Sign in with
Your question

Z68 + i7-2600k is not exactly screaming

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2011 1:46:32 PM

Hi all, I finished building my new machine last night and its not as fast as I thought it would be. It seems to be as fast as my last two machines. I was expecting it to be alot faster. Maybe I need to change some settings in the bios? Based on my hardware listed below, can someone suggest some bios changes/tweeks that might help? As of right now, all bios settings are defaults. Here is what I have:

mobo: asus P8Z68-V Pro
cpu: i7-2600k
HDD: WD Raptor 74GB plugged into the sata 3gbps port
optical: some DVD drive it got from a recent Lenovo machine. its plugged into one of the sata 6gbps ports
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W that I had from 5 years ago
memory: 2x4GB Corsair 1600mhz, cas 9, plugged into slots 2 and 4
OS: win7 64bit with all the updates including SP1 and IE8
Apps: all Asus software, Nortan Internet Security 2011

More about : z68 2600k screaming

June 8, 2011 2:03:36 PM

do you have a graphics card? what do you mean fast? benchmarks or opening the internet? is your hdd 6gbs a second? if it is plug it into the 6gbs port how old is your hdd? can you list all the parts in detail or give us links?
m
l
June 8, 2011 2:16:54 PM

i'm using the onboard video card. I haven't ran benchmarks yet. when I say that its not fast, I'm referring to the general use of the PC, not how long it takes for a website to come up. it seems my hardrive is always being accessed, even though there is still a third of it unused. my WD raptor 74GB is kind of old and not 6gbps, probably 3gbps. its plugged into the sata 3gbps. plugging it into the 6gbps sata port shouldn't make a difference.
m
l
!