Kodak 6490 or Fujj s5100

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 2, 2005 10:46:45 PM

I have been looking long and hard for the best digital camera to suit
my needs. I have narrowed it down to these two models. I have also
considered Olympus C-765, Nikkon Coolpix 4800, and Konica Minolta Z2.

I have both the Fuji and the kodak in my posession but one will need to
be returned. Does anyonek now any major favorables for one or the
other. I have probably shot nearly 50 photos woth each camera and they
are very similar. sometimes the kodal looks better and soemtime sthe
fuji. How about reliabulity of the brand? Anmyoen else have experiences
with either?

I am just stuck now and probably did too much research on the cameras
and have neded up confusing myself. I am unable to make a decision and
my wife is going to kill me if I don't soon.

I am a newbie to photgraphy but I have owned a Olympus D530 2.1
,egapixel for a few years and both of the picture quality from these
two cameras is much much better. The zoom is awesome. the 4.0 MP makes
a big difference. Also they both offer manual controls, pretty much the
same feature set, but the fuji seems to feel slightly better when in my
hands. Kodak has a much larger lcd. I can get both for the same proce
$299.99 which I think is a very good price for what they offer.

Any info is helpful.

Thanks in advance

More about : kodak 6490 fujj s5100

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:13:31 AM

The 6490 hasn't got very good file compression, and the lens is a bit
soft - you'll only notice these issues on decent enlargements, though.
The S5100 has a slightly better lens. I think the Fuji is just a bit
better camera overall.
March 3, 2005 11:13:31 AM

I've seen detailed reviews in U.K. magazines of these 2 cameras when I was
in the market for a new camera about a year ago. The Kodak 6490 won every
time vs. the Fuji. The Fuji seemed to blow out very easily and gave
unnatural colours too often, the Kodak gave generally nice images that just
lacked a bit of fine detail due to excessive noise reduction and
compression. I got an Olympus C750 because of the super image quality and
hot shoe that would work with my old thyristor flashgun and accepted it's
weak low light focusing abilities.

"jtcskr227" <bigtime80@excite.com> wrote in message
>I have been looking long and hard for the best digital camera to suit
> my needs. I have narrowed it down to these two models. I have also
> considered Olympus C-765, Nikkon Coolpix 4800, and Konica Minolta Z2.
>
> I have both the Fuji and the kodak in my posession but one will need to
> be returned. Does anyonek now any major favorables for one or the
> other. I have probably shot nearly 50 photos woth each camera and they
> are very similar. sometimes the kodal looks better and soemtime sthe
> fuji. How about reliabulity of the brand? Anmyoen else have experiences
> with either?
>
> I am just stuck now and probably did too much research on the cameras
> and have neded up confusing myself. I am unable to make a decision and
> my wife is going to kill me if I don't soon.
>
> I am a newbie to photgraphy but I have owned a Olympus D530 2.1
> ,egapixel for a few years and both of the picture quality from these
> two cameras is much much better. The zoom is awesome. the 4.0 MP makes
> a big difference. Also they both offer manual controls, pretty much the
> same feature set, but the fuji seems to feel slightly better when in my
> hands. Kodak has a much larger lcd. I can get both for the same proce
> $299.99 which I think is a very good price for what they offer.
>
> Any info is helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 8:50:03 PM

Greetings Jtcskr,

I can appreciate your dilemma.

What I do when presented with such opportunities, is ask myself what is it
that I am really going to do with the camera. With a clear interest in
mind, i.e. shoot pictures on vacation, the kids, for relaxtion, and to be
creative, I then look at what the cameras have that will help me make sure I
get the images I want. Of course, the money is the next big issue, but you
seem to have that covered.

In any event for me the big decision maker for me (I had to make a decision
between the DX7590 now or wait for the Z7590 in a little while). I opted
for the DX7590. It had all the features I would need for the time frame I
plan to use it. Since the DX6490 is quite a bit like the 7590, maybe my
deciders will help you. For me they were the external flash option and the
10x optical zoom. A third was the electronic viewfinder and a fourth the
easyshare technology.

The kind of pictures I take are often of people and action. So, the
external flash allowed me to add a more powerful flash to the camera so I
could capture pretty much any event or room action. Nice feature. I also
liked the Electronic Viewfinder as I can always see what I want and switch
between it and the LCD screen.

The camera has a lot of other nice features as well. I suggest you try them
both, and take some shots and compare the two directly. Hard choice I know.

Talk to you soon. If you have questions let us know.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!