Asus or AsRock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EternalGamer2

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Ok, I've looked at the specs of these two boards they seem pretty much the same in most areas.

Here is the Asus P8Z77-V LX

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387156

And here is the AsRock Z77 Extreme 4LGA

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

The AsRock has 2 PCI Express and 2PCI ports whereas the Asus Apparently only has 3 PCI slots. This is the only advantage I can tell by looking at the specs. From what I recall, Asus is the better brand name (correct)? So I'm not sure which is more worthy of purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
In addition to what everyone has said here, the Asus has an older audio chip and reduced power delivery system compared to the Asrock. The Asus is a 4+2 phase system, while the Asrock is an 8+4 phase, so if you are overclocking that may matter to you.

I just bought the Asrock Extreme4 last week with a 3570k and so far I love it. I have not run into any errors, and it POSTs very fast (7-8 seconds) and loads to Windows in 14 (I am using an SSD). The BIOS is pretty easy to use, but there are lots of parameters like always. I've been doing some overclocking and took my 3570k up to 4.6GHz on stock voltage, and 4.8 with a bump. I won't claim that's stable yet since I haven't done any long torture tests.

One thing that I knew about but kind...
The Asus has 2x PCIE slots. Not that anyone really needs more than 1 PCIE slot anyway.

The only benefit to having the extra is usually to keep open the possibility of using 2 video cards. The Asrock would be better than the Asus for that, but the whole concept of 2 video cards is a pretty bad one anyway so it usually doesn't make a difference.

Asus is the better brand name, but Asrock is ok too.

They are about equal for the most part. You would probably be fine if you just took the lowest priced of the two.

EternalGamer2

Honorable
May 22, 2012
They are the same price. It seems the AsRock has a few more bells and whistles now that I compare them more closely. Both have 6 USB slots but the AsRock has 4 USB 3.0 while the Asus only has 2. And the AsRock has 8 SATA slots whereas the Asus only has 6. Not that I ever think this build will need that many USB or SATA ports, just something I noticed.

But as you indicate, I've heard Asus is better brand. But I may very well be putting CrossFire cards in at some point. This build is for my brother. I've had Crossfired 6870s in my own rig for the last year. I know it it is debatable, but I find it a nice option to have to just add a second card later rather than throwing out the old one entirely. So if the AsRock is better for CrossFire, that may be the decision maker.

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
In addition to what everyone has said here, the Asus has an older audio chip and reduced power delivery system compared to the Asrock. The Asus is a 4+2 phase system, while the Asrock is an 8+4 phase, so if you are overclocking that may matter to you.

I just bought the Asrock Extreme4 last week with a 3570k and so far I love it. I have not run into any errors, and it POSTs very fast (7-8 seconds) and loads to Windows in 14 (I am using an SSD). The BIOS is pretty easy to use, but there are lots of parameters like always. I've been doing some overclocking and took my 3570k up to 4.6GHz on stock voltage, and 4.8 with a bump. I won't claim that's stable yet since I haven't done any long torture tests.

One thing that I knew about but kind of bugs me is the fan controllers. The system Asrock uses is one where you set the default speed of the fan, but instead of using RPMs you use levels 1-10 or 1-4. You can also set a temperature threshold (at least for the CPU fan you can), as high as 65 degrees C. The system will then run the fans at your default level until it passes that temperature, then it will kick it up to max until the temperature goes back down.

I had heard the Asus has more detailed fan control abilities (and better tuning software), but the Asrock's features and price won me over. Asus might not even have the same features on the LX, which is their lowest tier board, as they do on the ones that are more expensive.

Solution

ratsa

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

That's really good to know. Have you considered using a fan controller for the case fans? Does the ASRock have any control over the case fans?

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Quick edit: I meant to say the system runs the fans at the default LEVEL until you pass a temperature. Edited message above to fix it.

I'm using a fan controller that was part of my case, but I think the Extreme4 has three chassis fan headers. In the BIOS I think that two of them have levels 1-10 as an option, and one has levels 1-4. I don't know why one of them would only be four levels, maybe that would change if I plugged a fan into there.

So there is certainly the option in the BIOS to control those chassis fans.

EternalGamer2

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Thanks for your detailed write up. And thanks for everyone else's advice. Asrock it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS