6 short beeps, vga led red?

blabbleblah

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hello,

I am a beginner builder building a rig for simple gaming enjoyment.
Today, I've finally collected all of my parts that i need:

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 LGA1155 Motherboard
Intel 3rd Gen. i5 3570k CPU
Corsair H60 CPU Liquid Cooling System
G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB, 1866, 14900 RAM
Coolermaster GX 750W Power Supply
1TB 6.0Gb/s Seagate Barracuda HDD
ASUS DVD Drive
Coolermaster Haf 922 Case

Once i finished assembling the computer through following carefully all the steps specified by the Mother Board Documentation, I turned on my system to see the following signs.

Note: I had plugged in via usb the keyboard and mouse. I also plugged in my monitor via hdmi-out and DVI-in.
Please also note: I do not have a GPU. I have decided to utilize the integrated graphics 4000 that come with my processor.

1) The fans were running
2) the CPU Led and DRAM Led blinked quickly and turned off
3) The VGA LED remained bright red
4) 6 short beeps repeated 3 times.

I have been reading blogs after blogs in order to try to diagnose this issue, but the only answers that i have found is:

1) 6 beeps = Keyboard failure (Which I've tested on other computers to find that my keyboard was functional)
**Some suggest that it is a memory problem (what i've tried will be listed below)
2) VGA LED = Video problem

Here is what i've tried for the 6 beeps:

1) tried another functional usb keyboard, no change.
2) changed around the memory into different slots from single to double cards. no change.
3) Cleared the RTC Memory by switching the 2-pin cover from 1-2 to 2-3, waiting 5-10 seconds, and putting it back. no change
4)tried Mem Ok! as instructed by the manual, no change.
5) I've also tried booting without any keyboard plugged in.... no change.
6) I've also cleared the CMOS.. no change.

What i did for the VGA LED:
1) i installed two different PCIe 2.0 GPU's that i have scavenged from my friend's old computer, plugged in the DVI, no change.

PLEASE help me. I have no idea on what i should do further.

I purchased the CPU and the Motherboard 5 days ago from Microcenter and they said that if there are any malfunctions i can return it (Which i am very skeptical of). However, before i attempt at returning this merchandise, i want to be sure that either the CPU and/or the Motherboard is the issue.

I have read many discussions on Tom's Hardware and i was very impressed with the level of skill that all of the comments carried. Thank you very much for your consideration and please give me any suggestions or thoughts regarding this devastating issue.

I have this board and you need to update the bios for it to work with newer cpu. before you do try and flash the bios check to see that the cpu you have does have the intel gpu part built in. if it does you could have a bent pin in the cpu slot or a bad cpu.
the mb can be flashed without posting is using the usb flash back on the back of the mb and a usb stick. just rember to rename the bios file to the one of this list.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8H77-M/DE103_Z77_H77_Series_BIOS_Renaming.pdf
plug the usb stick into the flash back port and push the button. the port will flash when bios flash starts and goes out when done..you dont need to post the mb to flash it.

blabbleblah

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Thank you very much! You have enlightened me of an array of hope for a successful build!

I downloaded the sabertooth z77 bios (Latest Version)
extracted the file, renamed it Z77ST.CAP as specified by the .pdf file you've provided me with (which actually came along with the zipped folder).

I formatted my USB drive to a FAT32 as it is required and did the following.

I copied the renamed Z77ST.CAP into the main directory of my USB Storage Device.

Then i plugged it into the Bios Flashback connector in the back I/O,. I followed a video instructor, pressed and held down for a few seconds until it started blinking.

When it was all done, i was shocked to see that the end results were not the same as the video:

In the video, the Bios flashback button turned off after blinking to symbolize the fact that the copying was done.
In reality, the blue light, after a couple of minutes of blinking, ended in a lit-up state and i stare at the lit button as i write this.

I re-plugged everything back together to get the same response of 6 beeps and a flashing VGA-LED.

I've tried to identify what this means all over the web and still came up with nothing.

Please enlighten me with your knowledge, teacher.

blabbleblah

Honorable
May 23, 2012

Thank you very much! You have enlightened me of an array of hope for a successful build!

I downloaded the sabertooth z77 bios (Latest Version)
extracted the file, renamed it Z77ST.CAP as specified by the .pdf file you've provided me with (which actually came along with the zipped folder).

I formatted my USB drive to a FAT32 as it is required and did the following.

I copied the renamed Z77ST.CAP into the main directory of my USB Storage Device.

Then i plugged it into the Bios Flashback connector in the back I/O,. I followed a video instructor, pressed and held down for a few seconds until it started blinking.

When it was all done, i was shocked to see that the end results were not the same as the video:

In the video, the Bios flashback button turned off after blinking to symbolize the fact that the copying was done.
In reality, the blue light, after a couple of minutes of blinking, ended in a lit-up state and i stare at the lit button as i write this.

I re-plugged everything back together to get the same response of 6 beeps and a flashing VGA-LED.

I've tried to identify what this means all over the web and still came up with nothing.

Please enlighten me with your knowledge, teacher.

you have to the flash upgrades in order. it the bios is at the same rev the update wont do anything. you can tell that is read and prosses the bios file as the speed of the flashback port will change when it start reading your cpu. I would power down the pc and take a look under the cpu for any bent pins. you may need a magnifier to see if there is any. also check to see that there no bent pin is the top pci video card slot. on the mb book it the pci16x slot. i would then try the mb on a flat table outside the case to see if it was shorting out to the case. if you get the same error i would take both the cpu and the mb. there is no video chipset on the auss mb just the ipeg setting to use the video chipset of the intel cpu. you dont need to have a gpu in that slot of the mb to post becuase it use the onboard gpu.

Erick Payan

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Hi, i just want to say Thanks... a have a Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 i have the same problem, 6 short beeps and i try everything to find the problem but nothing helps until i do the Bios update with the flash back port and walaaa!!!

Just download the first update and do the proces, then a download the last update from the bios and do the process again and it works fellas!!

My Pc its alive again!!! just want to say thankyou a lot....