Upgrading the $500 March Tom's Build

nubuilder99

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello,
I finally have some funds to do my first build. I am thinking of just copying the tom's march $500 build but I am afraid of the doa reviews in Newegg on the Asrock Mobo used in that build. Any suggestions on maybe a little better board or I am worried over something I shouldn't?

Thanks

Solution
you should avoid going with older 700 series chipsets. if you can afford it, a newer 800/900 series chipset would fare you better. if you want garaunteed compatilibty with AM3+ CPUs go with either the 890fx or 990fx chipset. but a nice 760G chipset would do well if you dont plan on upgrading in the near future.
AMD AM3+ motherboards in the same price range.

Essentially the same chipsets -- but only 2×240pin DIMM slots

The Giga-byte goes up to 125w CPUs --- the Asus 95w

Both will provide future Bulldozer support -- for some reason I'm tending toward the Asus (not really sure why - LOL - must be wrazor)

I'd suggest snagging a single 4GB stick-o-RAM if yer feeling the AM3+ love :D

nubuilder99

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I was planning on a Phenom II X4 black because I am new and thought it would be easier to overclock an amd proc.

I already have a CM II 690 case and Hyper 212 N cooler.

I can't decide on the Mobo and how much power supply I need. I am close to newegg so I will just Will Call the parts.

I play mostly rpg's but I am getting into FPS.

Planning on getting a new monitor as well probably a 24" Asus... don't know what the native resolution is yet. Thought a Radeon 6850 would be ok.

Sorry if I sound like a newb... trying to learn as much as I can before I jump into this.

Thanx.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
you should avoid going with older 700 series chipsets. if you can afford it, a newer 800/900 series chipset would fare you better. if you want garaunteed compatilibty with AM3+ CPUs go with either the 890fx or 990fx chipset. but a nice 760G chipset would do well if you dont plan on upgrading in the near future.

Solution