I5 2500k overheating?

mkraft89

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello, I'm trying to game on a Intel 2500k 3.3 with a Nvidia Geforce 550 ti. On idle, everything runs smooth, but when I start to play high end games, the temps for processor go skyrocket. Playing Deus Ex Human Revolution is a nightmare. Sometimes can play for 2 hours, then crash, or 5 min then crash. Can't think of what to do. Please help.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Can you give us numbers on how hot things are getting?

The stock fan should normally have no problem under stock settings. One thing you might want to check is the thermal paste. I own an i5-2500K and the stock fan comes with three little stripes of thermal paste. I was having overheating problems, too, and when I took the fan off the area between those stripes didn't have any thermal paste on it. I removed the old paste (safely), used Arctic Silver, and now my temps are fine.

mkraft89

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
at times the temp for all 4 cores is around 98C and crashes. everything is brand new, bought the case two side fans, processor and mobo only two weeks ago. trying to play deus ex human rev and im going insane not being able to play. im damn sure its a overheating problem. ive tried with side panel off, and im not overclocking.

cor33

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

Wow that is really hot! I wouldn't run anything until you correct the problem, that's some dangerous heat. Did you check to see if the heatsink fan is working? Other than that the last thing you can do is what danraies said, remove it and reapply some new thermal paste. The stock heatsink should never let the temps get even close to that at stock speeds.

mkraft89

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. ill try the thermal paste, i just dont want to shell out any more cash than i already have. buying a new cpu cooler for something brand new just sounds absurd.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Yeah, the cpu should never get that hot. The stock cooler should normally idle around 50C or so, meaning there's something not functioning somewhere along the line. A cpu with no thermal paste at all would be above 100C so it is conceivable that the problem is with the thermal compound - hopefully a new application will fix your problem. Also check that the fan on the heat sink is spinning.

I agree with Cor33 - don't take your comp past the bios until you get things worked out.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

omg that is already emergency auto-shutdown temp.