1-5 minutes to post from cold starts?

asimons11

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hello, about a month ago i built my first pc. It has been nothing but headaches. Last week I finally thought i had taken care of all the bugs and finally had a good running computer. well i was wrong. Now the computer takes forever to post, anywhere from 1-5 minutes give or take. It used to post immediately after turning it on but now its an intermittent problem that seems to get worst the more I use it. . I recently ran memtest86/windows memory tests to ensure the ram is working ok, no errors. I formatted the hard drive and re-installed windows 7 ultimate and have kept all my software/drivers to a minimum. Im kind of leaning towards a weak/dying psu??? any input would be helpful. I did contact the company where i bought the motherboard and they have approved a RMA on the mb so i may send it in for an exchange. Any input would be extremely appreciated. thanks, Adam

*Asus m4a79xtd evo motherboard
*AMD phenom 965 3.4 ghz x4 black edition cpu
*500Gb western digital hdd
*BFG 450watt power supply
*Nvidia GeForce 9500GT video card
*8GB gskill sniper ram 1333
*Lite-on cd-dvd drive
*Fan controller
*Card reader
*Wireless card
*Windows 7 Ultimate

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Double-check that the quick boot feature is enabled in BIOS. Besides that, you can try with another PSU (Most small business computer repair places that I know would probably be happy to let you borrow/use one of their test ones)

asimons11

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Ok, I went into the bios. I made sure I have the most recent bios version and that the quick boot feature is enabled. I also went out and bought a brand new psu... NO LUCK. The computer still takes forever to post. I'm now getting an occasional freeze at the animated windows logo while windows 7 is trying to load. When this happens I have no choice but to shut down the computer by holding the power button for 5 seconds. I'm starting to think i have a problem with my motherboard. Since I was approved to RMA the MB i think I'm going to do that and see if the issue is still there. Since I've done extensive testing on the ram I don't think its faulty. The computer runs great once it has loaded...

daj0914

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Ok so did the new motherboard fix the problem? I just started experiencing the same problem with an EVGA X58 MB that is almost 2 years old.