Video card - Sagging because of weight, how to support it???

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

I just installed the new Asus 6970 DCII video card and this thing is a beast as it takes up three slots.

I noticed that the card is sagging at one end because of the weight and I would like to have that end supported somehow.

Question
1. Have any of you come across this problem and have a solution you can share with me?
(I have already thought about leveraging the video card cables to support that end, but it's going to be a no-go)

Please help! As always, thank you for your assistance.

Jack500

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
A little bit of sag is nothing to be concerned about, as long as you don't have a component directly below it that it is coming in contact with. If you are using tool less fasteners to hold the card in the expansion slot, switch over to screws in all three slots. If you are really concerned you could get creative with a piece of plastic attached to the HDD cage.
BTW, that is a nice card. I've been considering upgrading my 5770 to that.

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks, but unfortunately, I have a sound card right below it with about 5mm of breathing room in between. That's too close for me.

Couple of other choices I just thought about:
1. Zip tie video cables all the way to the top (pulling the video card up) and through the screw loop in one of my top case fans (not my ideal choice)
2. Buying a wooden dowel, painting it black or wrapping it with foam insulation and supporting the card from the bottom (I like this option better)

Anybody else?

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
zip tie, plastic thread 2 small plastic hooks

I super glued small (tiny) hook on end of video card and 1 directly on top of case. Attach zip-tie(make maximum loop) to thread, measure the distance and attach to hooks, zip tie is used as tension, slowly pull zip tie until card nice and leveled.

I used smallest stuff i could find all black, low tech solution for my vid card since i attached bigger heat sink to it and big fan, worked great for me.

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks guys!

I picked up a 3/4 inch diameter wooden dowel (about 3 feet long) from Lowes and probably will go with that. I may use the zip ties as a backup from up on top.

Clever suggestion using those small plastic hooks! I would be afraid using cooking twine, but that would definitely do the trick. I would like to avoid using anything metal,... just a personal preference, that's all.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Duct tape and baling wire is the universal fix.
Jack500, I checked your case out online today. I like the way the HDD bays are made. With some good, thoughtful ingenuity, I don't see you not coming up with a functional solution. The GPU only needs support on the far end of its' mounting plate, and really not that much. Have you considered cutting a slot in the dowel rods length to slide over the card, as a support "beam"?

EazyE

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I've looked, and looked, and looked.
I found only 2 places to buy it.

The first place is a website in Canada. So I'm sure you can understand uneasiness about ordering from there. Plus, you have to back-order the product - and it's recorded as "not in stock" at their warehouses.

Regardless, here is the link:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54573&vpn=POWER%20JACK&manufacture=PowerColor

The other is in Germany - Knowing German could help a lot since there is no translated version. Also, shipping is a pain when doing it internationally. The site charges about $40 for international shipping. So good luck with that.

But still, here's that link too:
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p676573_Powercolor-Powerjack-Flexible-High-End-VGA-Karte-Stuetze-Retail.html

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Jockey, that's a nice idea, cutting a slot in the dowel! i'll look into that.

However, I will not opt for the wooden dowel and instead will get a 3/4-inch PVC pipe of some sort and use that.

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
You could try a toilet paper holder roller (spring-loaded) that's adjustable or maybe the cardboard of a towel paper roll (that's cut to designated height) if you want a cheap DIY solution. As with other people's input, you can always try objects at hardware stores (home depot, menards, walmart, etc) to give it structural support, like our highways and bridges do.

As for me, i used a dead hard drive (friggin seagate) that i didn't want to throw a way :)

http://i.imgur.com/MkrXjtb.jpg

btw, asus triple slot cards quite heavy, you need additional support in the form of a graphics card bracket ($20 to $30) or a cheaper alternative (DIY or using a compatible object with the right height specs) to resolve the sag. gl!