Aftermarket coolers

i plan to buy an amd graphics card, the hd 6870 in particular. im not a big fan of the reference design and i've seen so many different companies making aftermarket coolers for the card like msi, xfx, sapphire, etc. theres just too many to keep track of by myself so is there anyone out there who which brand makes the best aftermarket cooler for the hd 6870? thanks in advance for the help.
12 answers Last reply
More about aftermarket coolers
  1. don404303 said:
    i plan to buy an amd graphics card, the hd 6870 in particular. im not a big fan of the reference design and i've seen so many different companies making aftermarket coolers for the card like msi, xfx, sapphire, etc. theres just too many to keep track of by myself so is there anyone out there who which brand makes the best aftermarket cooler for the hd 6870? thanks in advance for the help.


    I'm not sure about the best, but the XFX Dual Fan 6870's are very, very nice. They run very quiet, and very cool and are highly rated. I'd certainly recommend them.
  2. I just wish those companies would sell their coolers separate. I bought actual aftermarket coolers for my reference Sapphire 5850s, but I was limited to 2 mediocre coolers because all the good ones were 3 slot. Still, the cards are OCed and don't go over 70C, and they're WAAAYYY quieter.
  3. wolfram23 said:
    I just wish those companies would sell their coolers separate. I bought actual aftermarket coolers for my reference Sapphire 5850s, but I was limited to 2 mediocre coolers because all the good ones were 3 slot. Still, the cards are OCed and don't go over 70C, and they're WAAAYYY quieter.


    I had the same issue. I bought 2 6870's to CF them, and I had gotten 2 reference designs before I found out about the dual fan ones. At that point it was too late. I wound up purchasing two Accelero Twin Turbo's. Now don't get me wrong, they are awesome coolers; very quiet and cool my cards very well. Unfortunately they take up almost 3 spots. It was an unfortunate compromise that I had to live with.
  4. To be honest those types of dual fan coolers only work when there is enough air flow to keep the card from recirculating hot air. I learned the hard way but beyond that there isn't very many dual slot coolers that are good any more. Tri slot aftermarket coolers are getting to be more common while some are already taking up 5 slots. Yes that is right 5 slots with the fan.
  5. Yeah, I just don't have the room for even 3 slot coolers. Otherwise I would have got one. I bought Scythe Setsugen coolers and they're pretty good. They can't cool as much as reference cooler at highest fan speed, but they're a zillion times quieter. I wanted to get the Zalman VF3000 but those were out of stock.

    -5850
    -slot
    -sound card
    -5850
    -slot
    -Gt240
    -AGP slot
  6. wolfram23 said:
    Yeah, I just don't have the room for even 3 slot coolers. Otherwise I would have got one. I bought Scythe Setsugen coolers and they're pretty good. They can't cool as much as reference cooler at highest fan speed, but they're a zillion times quieter. I wanted to get the Zalman VF3000 but those were out of stock.

    -5850
    -slot
    -sound card
    -5850
    -slot
    -Gt240
    -AGP slot


    what motherboard are you use for such a configuration? oh and thanks to everyone else for the info, it really helped! :D
  7. Asus P7P55D Pro

  8. hmmm....i though you couldnt use cross platform cards without a lucid chip...do you know any benchmarks for your system?
  9. It's not the same as running lucid. The GT 240 is simply there for PhysX. All you need is this patch: http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-04ff.html

    But yeah, here's a Vantage shot with PPU (physx) on
  10. I agree with others concerning the XFX dual fan and MSI twinfrozr, and yes, as previously stated, you need good airflow in your case else forget it.

    Other then that if you can get a reference 6870 for a great deal and find the AC twin turbo for a good price ($30 max) its a sweet combo, only the ram sinks don't stick for anything in my experience.

    I got 2 of these recently

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56383&vpn=11179%2D00%2D40R&manufacture=SAPPHIRE&promoid=1302

    and although they do reach 70+ degrees C in metro 2033 with fans at 45%, the pcb doesn't burn half as much as my 4870 with 3 slot cooling did.
  11. the associate said:
    I agree with others concerning the XFX dual fan and MSI twinfrozr, and yes, as previously stated, you need good airflow in your case else forget it.

    Other then that if you can get a reference 6870 for a great deal and find the AC twin turbo for a good price ($30 max) its a sweet combo, only the ram sinks don't stick for anything in my experience.

    I got 2 of these recently

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56383&vpn=11179%2D00%2D40R&manufacture=SAPPHIRE&promoid=1302

    and although they do reach 70+ degrees C in metro 2033 with fans at 45%, the pcb doesn't burn half as much as my 4870 with 3 slot cooling did.


    are you sure about it? cause i just checked on newegg and its says $55.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186046&Tpk=arctic%20cooling%20twin%20turbo

    the reviews are still pretty good but in not so comfortable with paying $55.

    and yes, im pretty sure ive narrowed it down to xfx and msi cause it seems they have the greatest performance. anyways, thanks for all the help you guys, i really appreciate it! :D :sol:
  12. Or the Zalman VF3000, that's what I probably would have bought if I could use a 3 slot cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118064

    Well that or the Megahalems one... lol (it's HUUUUGE)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Cooling Graphics Cards HD Graphics Product