ATI Quad CrossfireX Crysis

x86overclock

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
First off I am new to the whole Quad crossfire x setup I am using 2 Sapphire ATI Radeon 2GB HD4850x2s single bridged {x16,x16,x16,x16} I get half the amount of FPS with 4 gpus than i get with 2 gpus and also while playing crysis my cpu gets so hot that it restarts. I am currently using a stock cooler but buying a new cooler this week. Is this normal for quadfire to over heat my cpu? We're talking 80 celcius my other games don't do that not even crysis warhead just crysis any advice?

xXCozterXx

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Hi there,

I think i may know the solution to you frame rate issue, are you running crysis in fullscreen mode, or windowed? As for the temperature issue, check that you have sufficient air flow to the cards, and that you not blocking there exhaust.

Also, What is your psu wattage, as this could play a big role in this.

Cheers,

xXCozter8Xx

i vote for sell your current cards. Crossfire is hard enough to get working properly sometimes let alone quad crossfire. many games do not run well in quad crossfire. and they create so much heat you need really good case ventillation and for that setup at least a good quality 850w psu. Sell them and get a faster, quieter, cooler single card.

That's the longest run on sentence I've seen this week. Not even one period, wow.

I agree, get a new card thats cooler and faster and uses less power. If your cpu is hitting 70c, you need a new cooler right away.

Stay in school.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I have two 295's in Quad SLI and to make sure that both cards are synced and working properly getting a monitoring tool that reads both GPU frequencies and temps. This will tell you if only two GPU's (one card) is working or both by the spike in temps and frequencies. Also, I noticed that I had to create custom profiles for some games because they would default to use only one card instead of both. ATI should have profiles for specific games designed for Quad X-fire like nvidia has for Quad SLI.

Overall, it works but you have to tweak. I have recently ordered a single 590 to replace both of my 295's to better deal with my monitors. I recommend you get a single 6990 if you can deal with loudness factor.

x86overclock

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

I have a rocketfish 900/1000 watt Nvidia SLI certified psu as the primary and a Apevia 600 watt atx psu as the secondary. I disconnected the secondary to see if that was causing the issue but no change in the results.

x86overclock

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Ahh... your wrong, North American English is my first language. LOL

x86overclock

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

First off I must bow down two your setup the gtx 295 was the king until the HD5970, and to have two of them gives me a tingling sensation in my pants. I am cuurently using AMD System Monitor scanning my CPU and GPU temps and usage.