Sign in with
Your question

Will going from PentiumD 2.8GHz to E8600 or Q9550 improve gaming fps?

Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2011 11:11:14 PM

Hello,

I've heard too many people saying that upgrading a CPU is not as important as a GPU. I have an HD4870, and my CPU is a PD 2.8Ghz dual core. I find newer games are slow. I am guessing that if I upgrade my old cpu to either an E8600 or 8500, or Q9550 that I will get much better frame rate and have more satisfactions playing my games...am I right??!

Thanks guys!
a c 93 à CPUs
September 3, 2011 11:27:02 PM

If your board can actually support a Q9550, E8500 or E8600, any of those would offer significantly better performance than the Pentium D. The Pentium D was basically 2 Pentium 4s glued together, and the P4s were very inefficient, not getting much work done per clock cycle. Odds are that slower Pentium D you have is bottlenecking your 4870, so you probably would see a significantly better framerate if you upgrade.

Recent games are starting to get more heavily threaded and make better use of the quad core CPUs, so the Q9550 would probably be the best if you want to keep using your current system for a longer time. High clocked Core 2 Duos are also still viable gaming CPUs and would offer significantly better performance than your Pentium D, though performance may not be that great on some of the more CPU heavy titles like Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA IV, or even Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which didn't perform that great on a dual core.

One thing to keep in mind though is a lot of the faster Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads are quite pricey now, as they aren't made anymore, and there is a higher demand for them due to people wanting to keep their LGA775 systems running longer. It may be more cost effective to go for a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM combo rather than spend an exorbitant amount of money on an older CPU.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 3, 2011 11:59:53 PM

Generally speaking, upgrading the video card is a better option if you want better gaming performance. However, the catch is as long as the CPU is not slow enough to severely limit your video card.

In your situation I would consider the Pentium D 2.8GHz a serious (not severe) enough limitation that upgrading the video card will not improve your gaming performance enough to justify spending the money. The HD 4870 is still considered a decent enough video card for most games. While it's performance is no longer considered high end any more, it can still beat most mainstream video cards in overall performance.

As pointed out above, assuming your motherboard is compatible with the C2D and C2Q CPUs, they are somewhat expensive since the current supply is drying up and those CPUs are no longer produced. If money is an issue then the cheapest thing to do is upgrade to one of those CPUs you mentioned. Remember to check if those CPUs are supported by the motherboard you currently have. The Q9550 ($300) is probably a bit too expensive though to justify the upgrade.

If you are thinking about dropping $300 just for the Q9550, then you might as well consider dropping $50 - $80 more for a 2nd generation Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) CPU, a decent P67 motherboard for it and 4GB - 8GB of DDR3 RAM. You don't have to buy to most expensive Core i5-2500k CPU for $220, but it does overclock very well. Lower end Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) CPUs have very limited overclocking abilities.

Performance wise, the 2nd generation Core i5 CPUs have about 20% better performance than 2nd generation Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) CPUs, clock for clock. That means the 2.8GHz Core i5-2100 is about 20% better performing than the 2.83GHz Q9550. In other words, the Core i5-2100 would be equivalent to a Q9550 running at 3.4GHz.
m
l
September 4, 2011 12:18:47 AM

Ok thank you guys!!
I have good MB that supports all the latest 775 cpus! you gave me good explanations! thank you again!
m
l
September 4, 2011 12:37:35 AM

As Supernova11 said, I would check out either upgrading to a new processor, or getting a new set of hardware. before you do that though i would check out what you have.

is your graphics card AGP?
- if it is you should definately just get the new CPU Q9550. ($299)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR if your graphics card is PCI-E, you should get a new set of hardware, as it would be cheaper to do so.

Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W & MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 ($226.98) with $20 Mail-in Rebate 206.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($27.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

total: $254.97 with rebate ($234.97)
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2011 6:14:24 AM

a q9550 is so rediculously overpriced, no one in their right mind would get one, you would be better off getting a whole new motherboard/ram/cpu like a phenom II x4 955. Then you would have something that can be upgraded in the future.
m
l
September 4, 2011 6:37:24 AM

You will see much better frame rates in certain games, and not much better FPS in some games. If you play Grand Theft Auto 4 or Starcraft 2 you will see huge gains. I am very happy in my upgrade from a AMD 2.9ghz dual core to a AMD 3.2 GHZ Phenom Quad. Also upgrading your processor will make your desktop environment faster saving you time while doing other stuff. I just recently started doing video editing and am very happy that I have a quad core cus that takes a long time to compile final videos.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
September 4, 2011 9:11:21 AM

If you really cannot afford a new system, an inexpensive way to squeeze a little more life out of your system is a mid-level, "crippled Wolfdale - something like an E7500 and overclock it. Many E7500's (stock speed - 2.93 GHz) will run at 4 GHz.

I have a Q9550. Great chip when I bought it, but it isn't worth what they are asking for a new one.
m
l
September 4, 2011 9:40:35 AM

Similiar question to the OP, I have a c2d @ 3ghz and a 9800gtx 512mb, playing black ops, the cpu is running at 100% or near enough the whole time. While I dont see the cost of moving to a quad as being worht it, I was wondering if the cpu could be maxxin out due to the graphics card, so would upgrading the gcard to a 570 be worth it as an interim to moving to an i7 when I have the cash for that?
m
l
September 12, 2011 3:38:02 PM

I finaly got a Q9550 for cheap and now I can play TDU2 all max setting at full hd on my 37" and plays like I am watching a BR movie. Before, with my old PentiumD 2.8ghz, everything was at low settings and was not good frame rate. So, if anyone is wondering, good CPU is AS important as GPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 12, 2011 7:52:15 PM

AS a general rule: You need a CPU thats good enough to drive the GPU. After that, getting a faster CPU will not increase performance any more.

In your case, going from a Pentium D to a C2Q is such a massive leap forward, performance would get significantly better.
m
l
!