Need advice on what to upgrade

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2011 9:21:43 PM

Current Build:
-Gigabyte UD3P
-Intel Q6600
-Nvidia 260 GTX
-4 GB DDR2

I know that my biggest upgrade I can make is my CPU, but since I am still using socket 775 I will have to upgrade the Mobo/CPU/RAM. I am not sure if I should go ahead and buy a 2500k or if I should wait for something better. I am also a bit hesitant because I am not sure when the 11xx socket series will phase out.

Also, could you guys point me in the right direction; I know I want a 2500k but I am not sure on optimal RAM/Mobo. I am looking to spend no more than $600, but I would like to keep it around 400-500.

***Sorry, one more question; is a 750w PSU enough to power the newer Mobos/CPUs and my 260GTX?

More about : advice upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 105 à CPUs
June 8, 2011 10:54:45 PM

Yes, a good brand 750 Watts PSU will be adequate for what you are planning to do.

Usually, the biggest bang for your buck is by adding compatible RAM (increase to 8 GBs).

Try putting your components on an Excel spreadsheet and see what the cost totals are. Then decide which route you want to take.
m
l
June 8, 2011 11:08:03 PM

Ubrales said:
Yes, a good brand 750 Watts PSU will be adequate for what you are planning to do.

Usually, the biggest bang for your buck is by adding compatible RAM (increase to 8 GBs).

Try putting your components on an Excel spreadsheet and see what the cost totals are. Then decide which route you want to take.

Adding compatible DDR2 RAM seems obsolete to me because I plan on upgrading to 1156/DDR3 within the next year. I guess the question I am asking is if I should upgrade to a 2500k or wait bulldozer/new socket comes outs?
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2011 11:15:47 PM

If you can wait about a month, AMD's Bulldozer should be released. Then you can decide between Sandy Bridge and that. Intel's Ivy Bridge isn't set to be released until next year, so it's not worth waiting for.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a c 341 à CPUs
June 8, 2011 11:24:57 PM

What problem do you have with your current build?

If you want better gaming, then
To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

As a rule, a better graphics card will give you the most bang for the buck in gaming.

If you want quicker everyday operation, nothing beats a SSD.

If you need more cpu horsepower, sandy bridge is as good as it gets.
Look for a 2500K,$225, a P67 or Z68 based motherboard at about $150, and 4gb of ddr3 ram, about $50.

Your psu is probably OK, since the psu requirements are almost totally gated by the graphics card, and you may not change that.

If you get a better graphics card, a quality 650w psu will run any single card out there.
m
l
June 9, 2011 12:18:03 AM

Is there GPU under $175 that is worth upgrading for me?

BTW, I have a Corsair 750W. From what you guys have said it seems perfectly fine; I never plan on running SLI/Crossfire
m
l
a c 341 à CPUs
June 9, 2011 1:43:11 AM

MmmHmmmmm said:
Is there GPU under $175 that is worth upgrading for me?

BTW, I have a Corsair 750W. From what you guys have said it seems perfectly fine; I never plan on running SLI/Crossfire

Your GTX260 is worth $60-75 on e-bay, depending on model.

Add that to your $175, and you can look at a $ 250 card. Anything less will not be a big enough jump to be worth it.
Something like a GTX560ti perhaps.
m
l
June 9, 2011 3:04:22 AM

I think for now I am going to upgrade the Mobo/CPU/RAM and wait until next year to upgrade the GPU. I still can't justify spending another $200+ on GPU when I have a 260 GTX.

How long do you guys think the 1155 Socket will last? Is it going to be overshadowed anytime soon (within the next 2 years)?
m
l
a c 341 à CPUs
June 9, 2011 3:55:55 AM

MmmHmmmmm said:
I think for now I am going to upgrade the Mobo/CPU/RAM and wait until next year to upgrade the GPU. I still can't justify spending another $200+ on GPU when I have a 260 GTX.

How long do you guys think the 1155 Socket will last? Is it going to be overshadowed anytime soon (within the next 2 years)?

1155 is supposed to becompatible with 22nm ivy bridge next year. bios update only needed.
m
l
June 9, 2011 4:32:43 AM

geofelt said:
1155 is supposed to becompatible with 22nm ivy bridge next year. bios update only needed.

Thanks for the help

One last question what Mobo should I get?

I was thinking about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Theres a z68 version as well, but from my understanding if i am only using the computer for gaming I should stick with the P67.
m
l
a c 341 à CPUs
June 9, 2011 4:39:29 AM

The Z68 chip gives you the option of SSD cache, a feature that bridges the performance gap between a pure ssd and a hdd.

If you will not be getting sli(which I do not recommend for a single monitor) then you can pay less for the motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, consider a micro-atx which has only 4 slots, and will usually be cheaper.
m
l
!