Sign in with
Your question

Notebook External Graphics - ViDock Setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 27, 2011 10:06:39 PM

Hi guys,

I would like to incorporate the ViDock 4 setup but i have a few questions that i would like your expert opinion on. I have provided my system specs which can aid you with answering my questions. If you require anything more of me just ask:

Notebook Specs:
Sony F Series Notebook (VPCF111FD)
Win 7 Home x64
Intel Core i7 (1.6GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
NVidia GT 310M
8 GB DDR 3 (2 x 4GB)
External PCI Express Slot Gen 2 x16

1) Based on my system specs what graphic cards are available to me as my options? (preferabily higher end such as NVIDIA GTX 500 series or ATI's)

2) Higher end cards require more Power and hence comes the question of Power supply. Am i limited in Power supply? or are there ways to modify and use external higher wattage power supply in order to support higher power consuming graphic cards?

3) Are there any power restrictions on ViDock? I am confused as i have seen people talking about using ~400W PSU with ViDock, i was under the assumption that it has a cap of 225W. Does this mean you can use external Higher PSU's to support Higher end cards considering the laptop is powered by its own power leaving the graphic card alone to be powered.

4) Your own setup or recommendations using the ViDock and my system specs to give me an idea in what to consider.

I would really appreciate all your help and input, i have been wanting to figure out a cheaper alternative of upgrading my graphics and now that i have i really would like to utilize it. Thank you.
a c 156 U Graphics card
March 28, 2011 5:52:20 AM

I guess I should reply seeing as I seem to be the only one posting about it. Before I answer, you should know that this product is still a work in progress for compatibility. And also that a diy setup will save you ~$100 and theres not much different from buying the vidock other than a nice box to put your card in. Theres a couple of youtube videos of consumers unboxing/demoing the vidock.

1. Id say get a gtx460 768mb, just to keep this a low priced option to buying a new desktop, and partly due to your cpu. Remember that you will get less performance than if it were in a desktop.

2. The vidock comes with a power brick of different watts depending on which version 2/3/4/4+. You could use youre own psu but would require a paperclip trick or a $6 psu power switch as they are made to only turn on when plugged into a mobo. However, using your own psu defeats the purpose of a vidock other than having the metal box.

3. answered in 2

4. Id do a diy setup. Youd need this
http://www.harmonicinversion.com/index.php?page=shop.pr...
or this
http://www.harmonicinversion.com/index.php?page=shop.pr... which comes with the switch
and your choice of psu+gpu. A setup with an external monitor is less of a hassle and will get more fps than using the laptop lcd. Heres a link to the psu switch http://www.harmonicinversion.com/products/manufacturer/... And you could get creative in finding an enclosure if you want it to look nice.
a c 355 U Graphics card
March 28, 2011 6:23:01 AM

Regarding #1...

Just be aware that the USB 2.0 interface is nowhere near the speed of a direct PCI-e connection so expect some bottlenecking.
a c 156 U Graphics card
March 28, 2011 3:40:27 PM

It uses expresscard not usb. Depending on the chipset itll be a x1 1.0 up to a 2x 2.0 for sandy bridge.
!