I REASSEMBLE my CPU and now it wont on

nzcine

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hello guys, after searching around the web, I decided to post here for help.
This is the case:

My CPU was good before I re-assemble it, meaning I can start-up and use the computer as normal.
After re-assembling, I am 90% sure I connect the cables back to the same connectors, everything is normal but I cant power on my CPU now. To ensure if I connect the cables wrongly, I detach all the cables from the mainboard except the 2 PSU cables and the Fan cable. I 'mix n match' the jumper but still to no avail. The fan won't even twitch.
However, when I touch the mainboard PSU connector, I can feel the heat( from the electric transfer) but my PSU wont even come alive at all. I feel so helpless now because I tried all the possible methods I know but my CPU just wont come to live. Please help me! Thanks!

Zack

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I think that he means that a Cpu is a pc!

Many people call a monitor+pc Computer and they think that the actual pc is a cpu.

I know it's funny how they call everything.
My father also always says processor for pc and he is really thinking it's correct and doesn't listen if i tell him it aint.

G

WOW youve got a problem there, do you mean you dis-assembled your PC and rebuilt it (Sure hope it was this not the CPU or processor you dismantled)?

If so, download the MOBO manual and check youve connected all the case headers correctly, also that you have seated the heatsink correctly with thermal paste ect before going further,

Many possible problems here from possiple shorts, to blown components,

post the specs of the pc please for further help

nzcine

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hello guys, thanks for helping.

Sorry I used the wrong word. I mean reassemble my Pc( everything in my case) :kaola: . I forgot CPU=Processor. So... no, I didnt reassemble my processor.Lol. I do switch on my PSU, as well as the main power supply switch.

Motherboard: Gigabyte S-Series, 945GZM-S2
Processor: Intel Pentium D Processor
PSU: Cheap 450W unit

I was just curious to see how it is wired inside the casing so I just took out everything and put it back. After that, it won't boot at all. Fan doesnt even move a millimetre.

moricon, I removed the CPU fan and I saw the thermal paste area, after that I place the Fan back without reapplying new thermal paste. Is it a possible reason?

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
If nothing's powering up, are you certain you got the case power button wire connected properly to the motherboard?

And you definitely want to take the heatsink/fan off the CPU, clean off the old paste, and reapply new thermal paste, you can't just put it back on (well, it's a pretty bad idea).

Attila_the_pun

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I would recommend putting on the CPU heatsink again with new thermal paste this time, but that would not prevent you from turning you computer on. Just make sure to properly clean the CPU and heatsink before you do this.

nzcine

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hi Dekasav, I put the heatsink/fan back again without applying new thermal paste(I didn't have 1 on hand), and without clearing the old paste.(I didnt know it may be a possible cause).

Attila, I never used any power surge protective measure; I use my bare hands to take things apart and if you mean grounded in the sense that my body touches the floor, yes I do. LOL.

Anyway, I got a bad feeling my motherboard got shortcircuited or burnt out while Im doing the disassembling. My friend is going to help me test my mainboard and psu to find out which is the faulty one. I will post the result here!

nzcine

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Ok people, I found out its the power supply plug that loosen. However, when my pc can finally on and reach into the bios page, the power keep getting shut down again. It keep shut down when I reached the BIOS Page. Now I guess my power supply doesn't provide enough power or is it something else?

Attila_the_pun

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Although I definitely agree that you should consider replacing your power supply I do not think that that is causing your problem. Do you have any other Power Supplies lying around?

nzcine

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hello Attila and Antec, recently, I haven't have the chance to get a new power supply to test. Most likely, it will be next week I will be getting. After I tested, I will pm you guys again my result. =) THanks a million for trying to help me.

Sincerely