CPU stress test --> should I be worry ??

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hi there , I've just assembled my new gaming rig (core i5 2500k ,P8P67 pro , H60 , TX750W ,8GB ,win7x64) and I wanted to check the cooling capabilities of my system.
I ran prime95 + core temp 1.0 . I know that I should run it for at least 12 h. but I did only 20 cycles (approx. 8mins.)

During the test I was constantly watching the temperature readings and none of #4 cores temp. went beyond 57*C , however the maximum temp. on cores : #0 ,#2 and #3
on core temp 1.0 showed 98*C .

the system was steady during this test , I mean , It didn't shut down or anything . My question is : Should I be worry ? Do you think there is something wrong or maybe that was just a bud of the core temp 1.0 ? what other temperature reading software would you recommend to me ?

here you have the screen shot of what exactly happened .

http://i51.tinypic.com/nq7qfd.png

Thanx.

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

cool , have you got safe download link for that stress test soft. ? what about core temp 1.0 , is this soft good ? actually when I was posting this thread my readings were 98*C on all #4 cores !!! with load no more than 10% . when I've restarted the core temp 1.0 all temps. went back to normal which is 22*C to 35*C without stressing the CPU.

beenthere

Distinguished
In my experience Prime 95, OCCT and Linpack all work fine for stress testing. OCCT will allow you to find problems faster if you use the Severe/Extreme test option.

98C core temps however are too high so you need better cooling. The H60 is not a very good cooler but I still would not expect 98C temps. Did you use a very thin layer of TIM on the heatsink?

Core temp will retain the Max temp. and then reset.

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

well , that was not during stress test but during web browsing , I think that's not possible to get constantly 98*C on all cores with 10% load , therefore I think the core temp 1.0 isn't showing real readings , maybe some bug ??

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I think H60 is enough for i5 2nd gen. especially not oc-ed , on this cooling you can easy oc up to 4,3 and mine is running at stock speed which is 3.3 .
do you know any other then core temp 1.0 program ??

Use hwmonitor or real temp. Core temp is definitively wrong, cores temps ranging from 57-98 is way too much. And 21C is very low, must be using some icy cold water or something.

Also another thing that caught my eye. You didn't mention any OC. You're OC to 3.7 at 1.32 vcore. You should only be at 3.4 turbo with all cores under load at ~1.25.

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

the i5 2500k runs at 3.3 and 3.7 turbo mode by default . I did not oc my CPU at all. also please note that cpu isn't running 57-98 at all time , I could not even see for 1 sec that temp went above 57*C ( normaly it runs 28-42 and max 57 with 100% load) it looks like the 97*C appeared out of nowhere ? therefore my concern about core temp 1.0

can you provide me with a safe link to download hwmonitor or real temp ?? thanx

Instead of asking for a download link why not just google? http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

The turbo works like this: there's 4 extra bins meaning 400mhz to divide between 4 cores. If all cores are under load then you'll be at 3.4ghz, 3 cores is 3.5, 2 is 3.6 and 1 is 3.7. Also I will say it again, you are over stock vcore so I know the asus mobo auto OCed you.

And my 57-98 comment, if 3 cores hit 98 while one is 57 there's something wrong. I know it's not like that all the time, I perfectly understand peak temps. Let me explain, the cpu is quite small and even if 1 core were to hit a high temp and the other cores were not even being used, the temperature difference wouldn't be that large as the heat will dissipate through the whole cpu.

I'm trying to help you, teach you yet you reject everything I say, thinking I don't know what I'm talking about.

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

Dude ,I appreciate your help , and don't get me wrong . Just trying to give you good view of what is happening with my system . What makes me wonder is the second screen shot that Ive posted .
You can see two temperature reading at the same time , one is from UEFI Asus software and indicates 29*C the second one is reading provided by Core Temp 1.0 . Which indicates 98*C on all #4 cores . And next to each 98*C is a question Mark ???
29*C to 98*C is a big difference . Can 2 different programs show as big temperature gap at the same time ?

Anyway , I'm at work now , I'll check the link from you when I get home . I've asked for it since I like to use secured , checked source , not download some junk . I thought asking was the right think to do .
Thanx for your help .

Always download from the companies own website never a third party site. You may just need a bios update for core temp to show the right temps or it's just not working right and you shouldn't use it.

pshemax

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

Thank you , I'll get back to you about the programs that you've recommended to me , I've also bought new teral compound today , I'll reapplie it once I get home . It's MX4 , I've heard is good .
Talk to u later .

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I used Core Temp at first and it was showing temp spikes of 98'C on all four cores of my i5. I used SpeedFan and Real Temp to cross check and they were not over heating at all.

I read that when Core Temp gets a reading that it doesn't understand, it jumps to the TjMax by default. I would second using another temp monitoring program and preferably run 2-3 at a time.