GTX590 blank screen hang

pummers

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hi there, I've been a long time lurker but I'm posting because I'm at the end of my rope.

I picked up 2 Asus GTX 590s to SLI them but I can't even get one of them to function properly.

In short I install one of them and without the nvidia driver it will default to 800x600, but once I download the current nvidia driver it reboots to windows loading and then the screen goes blank (looks like it hangs totally).

I reboot and windows asks me to repair the boot config or start normally. If I try to repair the config it rolls back the driver out of the system.

The machine I want to install it in is a 2600k Asus P8P67 Deluxe with 8GB and a 80GB Intel G2 SSD. I had/have an AMD 5970 that ran totally without any issues (overclocked and overvolted). Power supply is an Antec 1000W and all of it in a HAF932.

Thinking it was my OS, I reinstalled win 64 without SP1 or any patches, and then the mobo drivers but once I installed the nvidia drivers I got the blank screen again (on reboot). Updated mobo bios but no change either. This is the pre fixed SATA bugged P8P67 Deluxe but nothing is hooked into the bad ports. Board will be RMAed in June but I don't think that would make a difference.

I then tried a GTX 280 in place of the 590 and the system ran perfectly, even showing the latest driver version (the one for the GTX 590). Put back in the 590 and boom, back to blank screen.

I then tried one of the 590s in my backup system, the one that the GTX 280 normally lives in. It's a Core 2 Quad 6600 with a Asus P5W DH. Again without drivers it boots fine but once the 'supported' nvidia driver is supposed loaded an error occurs. This time the error doesn't give me a blank screen though. It boots into a black screen with the mouse cursor for a little bit and then boots into windows 7 64 without the nvidia driver functioning.

Looking at the device driver, it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Would this happen because I only have a 600W PS in the backup system? I always thought the driver would go into limp mode if not enough juice was present.

What am I missing here?

These are my assumptions/findings so far:
1. Both 590s act the same, so unless I got 2 bum cards I'm presuming both are functioning.
2. Both boot into windows 7 64-bit fine without drivers. Shows Bios booting and everything. No scrambled video or static.
3. Using either one of the supported nvidia 590 drivers makes the i7 system hang with a blank screen during windows load, and the C2D system boot without loading the nvidia driver.
4. I have enough power to drive a single card (5970) overvolted and overclocked, so I am assuming it should be enough just to get me to boot on a single 590.
5. Reviews of the 590 are out with similar architectures as benchmark platforms so I am assuming everything should be functional in theory (besides the early release drivers blowing up overclocked systems)
6. Target monitor is Dell 3007, dual link cable running 2560x1600 without any issues.
7. Did not try any windows 32 bit solutions.
8. Did not measure the power on the rails. Used the default 8 pin connectors labelled PCI-E in every case.
9. All systems are hooked up into a UPS APC 1500 series (1 for each system). Alarms did not trigger for any power issues.

Are the cards damaged? I used all the normal precautions to install the cards (ESD grounding strap etc.) so I don't think I physically damaged them. I don't want to return them since they were the last pair in town, but right now I rolled back to the 5970 for now.

I used driversweeper to clear out the system between each group.

Apologies at being long winded, but I simply have run out of ideas and options. If anyone has any thoughts on how I screwed this up, please chime in. Thanks.

FYI, the GTX 590 is a dual-GPU card which means you have a QUAD-SLI setup. I mention this because you'll have issues properly setting up many games for optimal performance.

Many modern games can benefit from the third GPU but actually drop in performance on the fourth. I'm not sure if you can disable Quad-SLI and just go with Dual-SLI. Anyway it's a learning curve.

Did you even read his post? :hello:

He can't even get video with one card. :sarcastic:

AGAIN??

They did that a few months back and fried people cards. And they say AMD has crap drivers. lol

pummers

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Well to cut the discussion short, I returned the cards. The cards worked fine at the store's computer, so I can only guess that it is my Windows build disk that is the issue, since it did not work on 2 of my systems that had nothing in common except the Windows 7 64 Ultimate disk.

The store's test system was also running Windows 7 64 but had no issues installing the card and the driver ran fine.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but I didn't want to take a chance on having some incompatibility that would take weeks or months to fix, if ever.

As an nvidia fanboy it pains me to talk *** on the 590 but imo its a trainwreck waiting to happen. 9 reviewers blew up there cards... nine... not one or two but nine. That shows that there are some serious issues with the power delivery system. Then there's power consumption over the 6990. I think the 590 in crysis pulled 60 more watts then the 6990 in the same test while performing the same and sometimes worse. If the 590 was the better card I would have two
From what I've seen overvolting seems to be a deciding factor and Nv seem to have been quick to release a couple of driver revisions in response.

TRENDING THREADS