Laptop thermal paste

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey,
I wanted to replace the thermal paste on my XPS 1530, but when I opened it up, the thermal paste wasn't spread like on normal CPUs. It was on top of the chip, but also to the sides of it since there was a square risen piece in the middle. How do you apply thermal paste on a laptop CPU? Thanks.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
just spread the thermal paste... Use your finger(Or Nail) and spread it in the middle, less is better but recommend using a rice drop and spreading it because after a week, it'll fill the gap up but depends if it's flat on the cpu/heatsink...

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I know how to spread thermal paste on a normal CPU, I just didn't know what to do since normal CPU has all top metal where as laptop CPU has a square bump that is metal and all else is plastic. I think it might be bad thermal application by manufacturer. Had to send it in before for them to reapply.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I Used my finger once and i dont see any issue, i even used my half inch nail to do it XD lol... Do same to the laptop as regular cpu but recommend doing manual spread instead of letting it squish out

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Even though acceptable but hand oil is considered to be detriment to conduction of heat when dealing with thermal paste.

Better you get a plastic and wrap it around your hands thus manually spreading the tim.

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Bit of a coincidence. I have to do the same thing to my XPS 1530 next week. It's regularly overheating but I'm holding off just a few more days because I'm using it to write a thesis and it will be finished next week.