Asus P6t Deluxe - IDE vs. ACHI Boot Device Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocs

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
Hi all,

I've had this set-up for a couple of years. I recently had a hard drive crash, and now I am trying to re-install windows with new drives. When I set the storage configuration in the Bios to IDE - Enhanced, I am able to load the windows installation disk from my optical drive and windows recognizes all of my hard drives. However, when the storage configuration is set to AHCI, I am not able to boot from the windows installation disk1. Instead, I receive the following error:

CD-ROM Boot Priority ..Boot Ready
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I've been searching many forums and I have not been able to find a solution.
It is not the boot priority or anything like that. The only option that is changed is the storage configuration in the Bios. I would like the ACHI setting. Also, all of my hard drives and my optical drive are SATA.

Please help. I do not know what to do next.

CPU // Intel Core i7 920
MOBO // ASUS P6T Deluxe
RAM // Corsair Dominator 3x2 GB DDR3 1600
COOLER // Vigor Monsoon III 120mm Fan
HD // 1 Samsung 830 SSD 512GB
HD1 // 1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB ES.2 7200 RPM SATA
CASE // Thermaltake Spedo 0.8mm Steel
PSU // Antec NeoPower 650W
OS // Windows 7
DVD BURNER // Samsung SH-S223Q (SATA)
GRAPHICS // EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB

Solution
Try this. Boot in the IDE mode as usual.

Convert from IDE to AHCI

Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.

Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.

Set the value to 0 and click OK.

Now the Start setting should be set to 0.

Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.
Try this. Boot in the IDE mode as usual.

Convert from IDE to AHCI

Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.

Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.

Set the value to 0 and click OK.

Now the Start setting should be set to 0.

Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.

Solution

ocs

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
So, I haven't installed Windows yet. Are you suggesting that I should install windows through IDE mode, and then try to change to AHCI afterwards by the method that you outline above? I can do that if that is the case. I guess the main question is should I install in IDE mode and then worry about changing to AHCI after?

Thanks A LOT for your reply!!!! I really appreciate it.

Yes, that is what he suggested.

That ... should... work. Other people have gotten it to work in the past. Just don't try to do the BIOS part first or it will screw everything up.

There is not a lot of leeway to get this wrong, you get one chance and that is it. If you don't hit the BIOS key when you are supposed to, fail.

BTW, oh my lord that is the first time I have seen a 512 GB SSD in the wild. It is paired up with a 9500 GT too.

Anyway, back to what I was saying.

When you are doing the initial setup and stuff, do you have both hard drives plugged in? If so, try unplugging the regular hard drive and only connecting the SSD and the CD drive.

Unless you are trying to head straight to Nikorr's plan. I would try a little bit of other stuff before I did that, though.

I like it when things work like they are supposed to, not to have to do tricks long after the fact to get things to work a certain way.

ocs

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm anxious to check out the Samsung 830 myself, if I could only get the OS to load!!! Well, I tried disconnecting everything except the SSD and the optical drive, but unfortunately, no such luck. So, I am installing in IDE mode right now.

At the end it will be the same as installed in the AHCI mode : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS