Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe freezes

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2011 5:25:53 AM

I just assembled an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe build about a week ago and whenever I'm playing Counter-Strike 1.6 in Windows 7 x64, the system will freeze. Sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 10. This always happens in game. I do not see a blue screen. Mouse and keyboard become non-responsive.

After I reboot, Windows will ask if I want to start normally, which I do. Then I get the Kernel-Power 41 (task 63) critical error in event viewer.

Here are my specs:

i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz with Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe with 1606 bios
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 64GB (System Drive)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 (Program/storage drive)
G. Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 2 x 4GB DDR3 1866Mhz @ 9 10 9 28 pushed to 1.50625V in bios
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA DVD Burner
Cooler Master CM 690 II case
Seasonic X750 Gold 750W
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Drivers:

Newest AMD drivers with hotfix 8.850.6
Newest Realtek drivers R2.61 June 3
Intel Chipset driver 9.2.0.1015

Bios settings:

Power on by PCI-E
Pll Overvoltage disabled

Other thoughts:

The Seasonic PSU is designed for low fan operation, but the fan doesn't even turn on when I'm running Prime 95. It only spins a little bit before the board POSTs. The PSU is mounted on the bottom of my case and the fan faces down (there is a vent in the bottom of the case). The top of the PSU gets very hot.

I've run Memtest (ok), Prime 95 for two hours (ok).

I can use AMD overdrive to increase the video card fan speed to 100%, but even that doesn't help and the system will crash in CS. When 3D effects are set to highest levels, the system crashes faster. When they're set to defaults or application override, it still crashes but takes longer. I've disabled the AMD External Events Utility.

My WD drive seems to be having problems. I ran the WinDig software and the quick test had an error. From what I've read, I have to run the extended test, which has produced bad sectors for other people. I have not run the test yet.

Any help would be appreciated. Should I RMA the psu and the motherboard? I've never had a crash unless I run Counter-Strike.

Also, my CPU temps in Speedfan and CPUID hardware monitor show up differently. Anyone know why this happens?
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2011 7:40:12 AM

- How full is the SSD?

- Have you reduced the size of the pagefile or removed it?

-If you run Prime95 AND Furmark together does your PSU fan come on? Prime95 alone would not make the fan kick in. That's expected as you need to pull somewhere between 150 and 200W before it will kick in. With both programs running you should be around 300W at least though. And since the fan profile is tied to the load and not temps, perhaps you should flip the PSU over, let the extra heat rise out.

I do suspect a driver or pagefile issue though, with just one game acting up.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 9, 2011 6:06:12 PM

What does Event Viewer say ?

A 2600ksystem only draws about 150 watts under P95 .... that's not gonna make the fan turn on, try running OCCT's CPU and GPU tests. Check ya temps and system voltages at completion.

Memtest is an "overnight" kinda thing.
m
l
Related resources
June 10, 2011 1:03:41 AM

Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

The SSD still has 27GB free.
The page file was automatically set to 8GB on the SSD, and there was no page file on the storage drive. I set both page files to a minimum of 8GB and maximum of 12GB, so now I have a combined page file of 16GB minimum.

I ran both Prime95 and Furmark just now and the PSU fan did not turn on. Granted, I only ran them for about 3 minutes to see what would happen. I will run them longer later tonight as well as running Memtest overnight.

Strangely, I played for about 6 hours last night with no freezes. I don't know what happened, because I didn't make any changes to the system.

When the system does freeze and I do a reset, the event viewer would show this:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Source: Kernel-Power. Event-ID: 41. Task Category: 63.

I am also getting this critical error now:

"Session "Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D" from Kernel-EventTracing. Event-ID: 3. Task Category: Session.

Seems like that last one happens at boot and might not be related to the freezes.

Last night, my motherboard sensor stopped working and showed a -60C reading. Today it is functioning correctly.

m
l
September 15, 2011 1:09:33 PM

Seems like it has to do with the XFX HD 6950 graphics card. I've got a dual of those in my system, and I have the same problem as you. A fast google search for something like "6950 cs 1.6 freeze" shows others who have the same problem as you and me. I dont know what about the gpu that is causing this issue tho.
m
l
September 18, 2011 1:15:42 AM

Thanks for your post. I haven't had as many freezes since I RMA'd my motherboard and the WD hard drive. But I still have them, and you're right, it does seem to be an AMD driver problem.
m
l
!