Unlocking the AMD Phenom II X2 555

III_Stutter

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello there! I've recently purchased the CPU in the title. This CPU is able to be unlocked to four cores.
Straight to the point:
Does anyone know if this motherboard will allow me to unlock the two extra cores?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I was going to get some ASUS motherboard (because they pretty much all have built in software for unlocking cpus) but someone suggested this motherboard instead. If the motherboard isn't the issue, then can somebody tell me how I should go about unlocking the two cores?

Solution
who cares ??

[:crutchizm]

That's a great motherboard that will clock a PhII 555BE to the moon. If you need 4 cores snag a Propus Quad or the AMD Phenom II X4 840 -- either of which should also over-clock quite nicely on that motherboard, too.

I have, however, seen anecdotal comments on other web sites where folks seem to feel the new AM3+ motherboards are less likely to unlock than older stuff -- one being an Asus AM3+ motherboard in particular. As far as I know, OEMs still include unlocking features on AM3+, including the 990FX UD3.

I'm trying to decide between that GB motherboard and the Asus 990X. 2 x eSATA 6Gb/s connectors with the onboard 6 x eSATA 6Gb/s has me leaning toward the Giga-Byte.

who cares ??

[:crutchizm]

That's a great motherboard that will clock a PhII 555BE to the moon. If you need 4 cores snag a Propus Quad or the AMD Phenom II X4 840 -- either of which should also over-clock quite nicely on that motherboard, too.

I have, however, seen anecdotal comments on other web sites where folks seem to feel the new AM3+ motherboards are less likely to unlock than older stuff -- one being an Asus AM3+ motherboard in particular. As far as I know, OEMs still include unlocking features on AM3+, including the 990FX UD3.

I'm trying to decide between that GB motherboard and the Asus 990X. 2 x eSATA 6Gb/s connectors with the onboard 6 x eSATA 6Gb/s has me leaning toward the Giga-Byte.

Solution

III_Stutter

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
It is good advice, but "who cares" doesn't really help me out, as I've already purchased that CPU. It is good to know that I will be able to overclock it, but I need to know if I can unlock it. If nobody knows, then I guess we'll see :p . I'll definitely check the manual out though.

Edit*
Sorry if I came off rude, I really do appreciate the info :) .

TRENDING THREADS