Is my Motherboard DEAD ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

vehlor

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I Just ordered parts for a new pc but forgot to order a dvd drive. Since I didnt want to wait i borrowed my sister's drive just to install windows. I went to install her drive back today and now her computer doesn't start. This is what i tried:
Connected mobo, cpu and RAM only - didn't start
Connected mobo and cpu only - didn't start, no beep, it does nothing

I know the psu (Antec Earthwats 380) is good because I brought it home and connect it to my new pc and it works great. I also checked the power swith with my pc and it is working.

I think the mobo is dead. What other things can I test before buying a new mobo?

Thanks!

Solution
new mb and power supply have a dead short protection. you hay have plugged the power to the dvd drive in wrong where it shorting out the system. or you pinched a wire. one other thing to check is if it a pre built that you did not pull out the cables from the mb to the power switch. the last thing is a dropped screw..if you dropped a screw it may be shorting out the mb.

mubin

Distinguished
Without ram, her pc will not run. Do you see any post bios error? Or there is nothing on display?

Before removing the dvd drive from her pc, her mobo is good, no? A mobo cant be dead without any reason in one day.

new mb and power supply have a dead short protection. you hay have plugged the power to the dvd drive in wrong where it shorting out the system. or you pinched a wire. one other thing to check is if it a pre built that you did not pull out the cables from the mb to the power switch. the last thing is a dropped screw..if you dropped a screw it may be shorting out the mb.

Solution

vehlor

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The CPU fan doesn't spin up. The system doesn't do anything. It is like there was no power supply connected, it does nothing. But the PSU is working for sure. I will remove the mobo today and check if there is a screw hidden somewhere. I'd like to take her mobo with ram and cpu to my house and test it with my psu. Is this safe, can that mobo damage my psu if it is broken?

If mobo is dead, then Gigabyte really knows how long their products last. Its 3 years warranty expired last week, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.