stels

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I've finally decided to build another system to replace my 2.2 something Ghz Prescott because my main HD just isn't big enough anymore and I can't stand IDE run drives. Even SATA.

So, I'm going to buy another SCSI controller and dual-port 6 GB/s drives. They should last ~10 years like my SCSI2UW-LVDs did and not have any glitching when I look at files.

Sorry to ramble, but I want to put an Adaptec 8-port PCIe-8x into a MB with 2 SLI cards and 1 PCI card. The ASUS Extreme and Rampage manuals don't explain what happens when a non-video card goes into a 16x slot. I know from back in the late 90's to basically never use a "shared slot" unless you're absolutley sure of the IRQ and address assignments. Now it seems even more complicated.

I've used mostly only ASUS boards because of issues w/other manf, and I don't want to change now.

So, if anyone can explain how I could fit the above into something; it'd greatly help me from spending another week reading articles.

striker410

Distinguished
Ok, not an expert here but looks like you haven't gotten much help.

With my understanding, putting a 3rd card into the slot will cause all of the slots to run in 8x mode. However, this will not be an issue as no video card (I think? Pretty sure) can saturate the full 16x. 8x will perform with just as much speed, there won't be a bandwidth bottleneck.

Also since your card is 8x that will work out well.

the other thing I see is it looks like you are going X58. BAD IDEA. Sandy bridge (LGA 1155, or Z68) is the way to go. The i7-2600k is $330 and beats the $1,000 980x LGA 1366 (X58) CPU. Unrelated, but go sandy bridge.

stels

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
The Maximus 4 extreme http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_Extreme/

supports 1155 socket. Thanks for the response. Am I missing something on the P67 vs X58?

stels

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
For a response, Asus took weeks! Their end answer are to
just try it again. This is even after informing them that the diagnostic lights show the cards do not work in any configuration.

To summarize, Asus doesn't document what their hardware does worth anything except using only graphics cards SLI slots. Adaptec support doesn't do anything worthwhile except say to refer to the manual which doesn't cover particulars.

In the end, my Asus Maximus board can't handle an Adaptec SCSI controller while doing SLI. The Adaptec controller can't use anything -not- in raid configuration which means it can't controll optical drives. (Which is not covered in their literature ANYWHERE.)

Support and documentation has gone severly downhill. Companies are basically shunning problems in favor of profits to not support anything. I would use much hasher terms, normally. Both Asus and Adaptec are now on par with AT&T, PG&E, Microsoft, Rain Bird, and, your local HOA.[/