Status
Not open for further replies.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I added this board to my system the other day and everything is working well so far. The only issue I am having is that when I shut the computer down, it doesn't actually power down all the way. The screen shuts off but the power to the motherboard never fully shuts off and the fans keep running. I tried shutting it off earlier and let it be for more than ten minutes and no luck. I currently have the F6 BIOS and I see there is a new BIOS version available. Do I need to download the new BIOS or is it something else that could be causing the problem?

Solution
Maybe Vista is the problem because On Gigabyte's website it only says it supports Winidows XP & 7.

For ASUS this is what it says : "*5: Due to Intel® chipset limitation, P8Z77, P8H77 and P8B75 series motherboards do not support Windows® Vista operating system."

So Z77 just may be not compatible with Vista.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, it's the strangest thing. I'm not extremely technical with computers, this is the second build that I have attempted and the first time I did not have any problems. The motherboard came with a disc that includes all of the drivers, but it is not compatible with Vista for some reason. I used the Download Manager on the Gigabyte website but there were only two LAN drivers that were suggested for download so it didn't look like I needed them.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Thanks, I will have to give that a try when I get home tonight. I really don't want to update the BIOS if I don't have to, so hopefully that'll solve the problem.

kivblue

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Maybe Vista is the problem because On Gigabyte's website it only says it supports Winidows XP & 7.

For ASUS this is what it says : "*5: Due to Intel® chipset limitation, P8Z77, P8H77 and P8B75 series motherboards do not support Windows® Vista operating system."

So Z77 just may be not compatible with Vista.

Solution

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

That could be true considering that the driver disc which came in the package isn't compatible with Vista, I didn't even think that would be a possibility. But why only XP and 7? Is Vista the "red-headed step child" of Microsoft Windows?

I guess it would probably be a good time to upgrade to 7 anyways, I'm sure Vista is slowing my system down one way or another.

I've been searching online to find out what the difference is between an Upgrade and the Full Version besides the price, should I just save the $100 and get the Upgrade? Would there be any benefit to getting the Full Version instead of the Upgrade Version?

the upgrade is a non bootable cd that when you run it looks for previus version of windows on the hard drive or on a cd-rom.
also the oem version of windows is cheaper then retail...just remember that the oem intall going to be linked to the mb you install it on. if the mb gets replaced you have to call ms for a new activation number. if you want free right now..there windows 8 cs. in a few weeks people are says the last test copy for windows 8 will be out.

kivblue

Honorable
May 1, 2012

I just installed Windows 7 retail upgrade version from old system on a new system, it is a full version really and you don't need previous OS but Microsoft doesn't tell you that because they want to sell the full version at a premium price. I bet a lot of people think they have to install XP or Vista first then upgrade to Windows 7, but you don't have to do that, you can install Windows 7 only right away.

All you have to do is select custom install, then after typing in the key code it'll ask if you want to activate windows, but choose to activate later when you have the LAN driver installed and ready.

That's it, it won't ask for previous OS key code or tell you to call up customer service.

I'm not sure on OEM version though, but I assume it's the same thing.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I'll probably go out and get the retail upgrade version tomorrow. Now, should I get Premium or Professional? There's no way I'm getting Ultimate: there's nothing on there that I would use.

I'm going to upgrade my OS first and see if that fixes the problem. I guess I could save myself $80 for now and get the Premium version and upgrade to Professional later.

This new build ended up being a lot more expensive than I wanted it to be, but it'll be worth it in the end.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

So I just installed my Upgrade Version of 7 and the computer now shuts down TOTALLY within seconds!! I'm just not sure on which drivers I should actually install from the disc though.....any suggestions?

kivblue

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Don't use the drivers from the disc as they may be outdated. Go to Gigabyte website and download the following: chipset (Intel INF installation), audio, LAN (both Intel and Atheros if you want to use both LAN ports), and USB 3.0 if you need it. VGA is not necessary if you are using a separate graphics card, you'll need to install graphics driver for that whether it's AMD or Nvidia.

Install the chipset driver first, then graphics driver, audio and LAN next. At this point you want to update Windows 7. It's going to take about 3 times of pressing the Windows update to complete but as soon as you see Service Pack 1 you can install other stuff like Microsoft Security Essentials.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

The Upgrade came with SP 1 and I think I've downloaded almost 70 "Important" updates. I've downloaded the drivers you recommended and got the latest Nvidia drivers for my cards. I ran the Windows Performance utility, and everything is above 7 but the disk data transfer rate rates 5.9, does the score really even matter all that much? My Hard Drive is 7200rpm, but I certainly don't notice any performance issues regardless of what the score says.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
No one has my cpu and video card combination but me, and the top score I saw for the i7-3770 3846. My score is at least on the first page. I guess it's time to start thinking about buying a new hard drive and video cards, that's where I'm hurting right now.

for the os and your main programs yes..there faster the mec drives. the downside right now is they ssd have a limited number of writes. on a normal users the drive should last 3-5 years before the ssd wears out. the 128 g ssd are now hitting about 120.00 or less price point. intel just came out with there 330 ssd..not as fast as the 520 but at it price point is a great deal.

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
That's not too bad, I will have to save up a little bit though, I don't have any issues with how the system is running right now so it can wait. After that, I'll have to upgrade my video cards. My GTX 285s are kinda dated at this point. I just started playing Diablo 3 and that game isn't very demanding. I will be playing that for a while so there's no rush to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.