New gaming pc build, LGA1155 or LGA2011?

eltrupin

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website and saw that people know their stuff with pc builds. so here I am! :D

I'm planning to build a new gaming pc, but I'm a little bit confused between choosen either a MB that supports LGA115 or LGA2011. If any of you could help me out in telling me which one is better ( for my usage and why ). I'm planning on always playing on high graphics of course.

Here are the motherboards (planning with ASUS only) that I've looked so far that I find interresting, if you have other suggestions by all means please share your thoughts.

FOR LGA2011

CPU : i7-3820
MB: Asus P9XZ9

FOR LGA1155

CPU: i5-3570k
MB: Asus P8Z77 - PRO

For either of both builds I think of running a GTX 560. Also, I don't know what type of RAM to choose, I only want 8Gs for now (Corsair RAM).

Here's my list of pc build parts that I think of buying ( if you have other suggestions do say)

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid Tower Case
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80 (is it any good, any of you have a good or bad experience with it?)
PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully-Modular 850 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Power Supply
RAM: as I said above, idk which type of ram to buy but would like Corsair.

I don't wanna pass more than $1500

I would really appreciate your help

thank you

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012
let me tell you now.
that case has alot of features. alot of easy parts. alot of price. but it honestly doesn't look too good. honestly i could keep computer in a cardboard box that looks better.
i actually had the same hard choice between the two motherboards but i chose the P8z77. I have a high budget but im getting alot of high end keyboards and stuff so I chose the cheaper one. along with it a cheaper cpu. saved me like 200$. also the built in WI-FI is helpful. I think your build is pretty similiar to mine so heres what i recomend.

Case: cooler master HAF 932 or HAF X(chosen for effieciency, price and Awesome looks)
CPU cooler: I've never heard of it but corsair is an amazing brand and should do fine, if you choose to change up i recomend a cooler master fan.
PSU: I think that you dont need a modular power supply. even the obsidian has lots of space and with your build you will probably use most of your cables anyway. the 80+ gold certified is pretty cool but I think it is extremly overpriced. then again if your budget can afford it, go ahead. you will probably love it.
RAM: I was going to buy 8gb of corsair vengeance for my build( I still might) but I chose G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB. but the corsair is still awesome, and very popular. price isn't that much of a difference when it comes to RAM.
I believe if your budget supports it, you should get the p9X79 and the i7 3820. because this gives you the choice to upgrade to a much more powerful CPU such as the i7 3930k in the future if need be. but the p8z77 will do just fine, in fact your budget would do nicely with it. and may i suggest a good looking keyboard such as these.
Logitech g110
Logitech g19
Saitek eclipse II
saitek Cyborg
Razer Lycosa
Razer Blackwidow
these are all great choices
I hope this helped :D

mubin

Distinguished
For gaming no need to get LGA 2011. Just get the LGA 1155 setup you listed and save your money for ssd/gpu. Try to get a GTX670 instead of gtx560. It will be great and very close to gtx680 performance.

A lga2011 cpu with a gtx560 will be a waste of money.

As an LGA 2011 owner about the only justification is if you're doing i.e. rendering (3D, Video, databases, etc) where >32GB and 6-cores will cut time off. Sure the LGA 2011 can game just fine, but the 4-core/8-thread i7-3820 can be a PITA with some BIOS versions and in order to OC you'll need to use the CPU Strap (separate clock from the SATA/USB/PCIe BCLK).

A reasonable argument can be for 3/4-WAY CF and mod (PCIe 3.0) for SLIon the LGA 2011 for extreme gaming.

I do SQL but I game as well and have no complaints.

eltrupin

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Hey thanks for replying, yea I already have keyboard merc stealth from steelseries. So, what you are saying is that I should consider of buring another PSU or stay with the one I mentioned? I did the calculations yesterday and saw that I have an extra 200$ difference if I choose to build with x79. I'm so lost t_t. If I choose the p8z77 what cpu should I buy? I saw on some other threads that people suggest the 2500k, but what about the 3570k?

thanks

eltrupin

Honorable
May 24, 2012

I think that's what I'll do, you think the 1155 will be good enough for the future's technology on motherboards?

eltrupin

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Yea me it's not only for gaming, but also for programming (java, javascript, html, etc.) But I think I'll spend the money on the LGA1155 so I save some cash. thank you

I read above, if anything you do can use 'Hyper-Threading' then the i7-3770K otherwise the i5-3570K is perfectly fine. Also, IF you plan on OC'ing then I'd strongly recommend the Corsair H100 -- both IB (K) get toasty when OC'ed; you'll also need a case that can support a 2x120mm radiator -- e.g. Corsair Carbide Series 500R and many others.

The Corsair Obsidian Series 650D is fine, but a lot of folks actually prefer the 500R who have both cases. I have the 500R and have no complaints other than there's no way to 'fit' the H100 in push/pull -- I chose to exhaust out the top.

moornix

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Most programming will not require more from your PC compared to gaming.

An i5 3570K is slightly faster than the i5 2500k. If you can find it at around $210 or below (ex. Microcenter.com), then it's worth it. If you can't, then the i5 2500k may be more worth it.

Personally, I prefer modular PSUs just to be more organized. From what I can see about your build, an 850 Watt 80+ Gold is a little much. You could probably save a bit by sticking with a little less wattage and an 80+ bronze.

As far as CPU cooling goes, unless you really want to OC a lot, going with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus will be enough. Otherwise why not go for a Corsair H100.

mubin

Distinguished

Of course it is good for future. When new technology will arrive, lga 2011 will be old just like lga 1366. So no need to get lga 2011 for future. You cant keep up with technology. So get what is best for now and near future.

i5-3570k is better choice than i5-2500k as it is newer and a little bit faster. And with it you dont need to overclock. Most game will give highest frame @ it's stock speed. Maybe little oc may require for some game to get highest frame. For this you dont need to get expensive cooling system as moornix said. Cooler master hyper 212 plus/ hyper 212 evo will do that. Though evo is more costly, but it is better.

eltrupin

Honorable
May 24, 2012
hey everyone I wanna thank you all for helping me out, so I went to a computer store near my house and one of the guys there helped me out with this build. It's pretty much the same but just want to know what you guys think about it.

List:

CPU: i5 - 3570K
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
DVD : Asus DRW-24B1ST
Cooler: Corsair H80
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
MB: Asus P8Z77-V Pro socker 1155
PSU: Corsair Gold AX750 80Plus Gold
RAM: Vengeance 8G ( 2 x 4G )
SDD: Adata 128G (not sure to buy it directly doing the build, wanna save money)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560

let me know if you guys have any opinions on this build, thank you :)

eltrupin

Honorable
May 24, 2012

your're right the PSU I chose is too much for my type of usage. thank you. I went to the store the 2500k is like 219$ and the 3570k is 249$.. 30$ won't hurt me for a little difference :D

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I agree with everyone recommending a better GPU over the 2011 socket and so forth but right now although the GTX 670 may be found at a great price I still would have to recommend the GTX 770 right now this new beautiful card matches the performance of the GTX 680 and then some but comes at the price the GTX 670 was just last month. Plus the GTX 770 of course will be more than capable of running those high settings you want to play in I say the i5 3570K and that LGA 1155 socket MB will save you money and getting the GTX 770 will be the absolute best price to performance ratio at this time. I mean why not get the latest GPU for the price of a predecessor and the power of the hyped GTX 680 soudns like a no brainer to me! I regret not waiting just a couple months myself had I known the GTX 770s price was going to be so reasonable. Don't get me wrong I got the 670 as you can see below but I would have been happier with the later model at roughly the same price and greater power all together! (Hell of a deal to me) :)