Closed Solved

My video card is dying.

My video card is dying. It keeps going black and then says it has recovered. Sometimes it doesn't recover and I have to unplug the CPU and reboot and it's OK. I have an Acer AL2216W wide screen monitor. I currently have a ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series video card. I'm not a gamer except for some games on facebook. I can't run google earth at all since it freezes up every time. I'm assuming this is because of the video card problems too. Any advice on what type of video card to replace it with?
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about video card dying
  1. Have you tried doing a driver update? Your issues does sound like it may be a hardware issues, but should rule out drivers first. Also is Windows up-to-date with patches?

    You need to list more info to get a new card, computer vendor/model and power supply wattage at the least.
  2. I suggest that you go ahead and upgrade to a more modern card. You can get a dirt cheap 5450 with up to date driver support for like $30-40 but one thing be sure that it is pci-e 2.0 and not 2.1. Beyond that it is plug and play.
  3. Like "hang-the-9" said, you need to include more info about you PC in order to get answered.

    well the most crucial part is whether you have AGP or PCI-E card (since x300/x550/x1050 all have both version PCI-E and AGP), other thing like power-supply and cpu won't matter since you'll go for a low end card (I assume)
  4. Download gpu-z and then tell us what you got and it will say agp or pci-e. The x300 only came in the pci-e version at least for the vast majority and was the very first native pci-e card to market.
  5. hang-the-9 said:
    Have you tried doing a driver update? Your issues does sound like it may be a hardware issues, but should rule out drivers first. Also is Windows up-to-date with patches?

    You need to list more info to get a new card, computer vendor/model and power supply wattage at the least.



    Thanks for the reply! I did a driver update about a month ago when the problems first started. I also did system restore but the problem kept re-appearing.

    I have more info now. Here is the info from my system Information:

    Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    System Manufacturer: Foxconn
    System Model: 965X7AA
    System Type: X86-based PC
    Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU 4400@2.00GHz, 1000MHz, 2 Core, 2 Logical Processors
    BIOS Version Date:Phoenix 6.00 PG 04/08/2006
    SMBIOS Version: 2.2
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00GB

    I also downloaded that GPU-Z and took a snapshot here:


    Now I'll have to power down and take the side off so I can see the power supply and find out the wattage. I'll be back.
  6. shobits1 said:
    Like "hang-the-9" said, you need to include more info about you PC in order to get answered.

    well the most crucial part is whether you have AGP or PCI-E card (since x300/x550/x1050 all have both version PCI-E and AGP), other thing like power-supply and cpu won't matter since you'll go for a low end card (I assume)


    Thanks shobits. It's a PCI-E and yes I just want somehting similar to what I have now and I'm not a gamer so I don't care about the high-end pricey stuff.
  7. nforce4max said:
    Download gpu-z and then tell us what you got and it will say agp or pci-e. The x300 only came in the pci-e version at least for the vast majority and was the very first native pci-e card to market.


    Thanks nforce4max! Here's the screen shot of the GPU-z:
  8. 5450 pci-e 2.0 and once you got the card go online and search ati or amd and download the latest drivers for your os (most likely xp) then a quick install and you are done. The x300 is the worst pci-e card that I have ever used.
  9. If you only need a card to play facebook games/use google earth then any vaguely current discreet video card will do. Here is an HD4350 for just $15 after the $20 mail in rebate;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127544

    I believe it is nearly twice as powerful as your current card. Don't worry about the power supply. The card uses almost no power.
  10. Thanks so much for the recommendation! I will order that one. I did check the P/S and it is 350W. I got a bunch more specs on it but since this card doesn't use much power I won't bother typing them all out.

    Thanks to everyone for all your help. Much appreciated!
  11. nforce4max said:
    5450 pci-e 2.0 and once you got the card go online and search ati or amd and download the latest drivers for your os (most likely xp) then a quick install and you are done. The x300 is the worst pci-e card that I have ever used.


    Just checked and I do have the latest drivers so I'm going to order a new video card. Thanks for your help!
  12. Yep, don't worry about the power. The fans in your case use more power than a 4350.

    Edit: a 4350 uses 4W idle and 15W max.
  13. Best answer
    so you have a PCI-E, well be grateful for you have plenty of choices for more powerfull cards (than x300) for less than 50$

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007855%204025%20600030349&IsNodeId=1

    Well you can get an AMD HD4550 or HD5450, but I advice to get an "AMD HD5450"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102922

    over "AMD HD4550"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125337

    and that's for two things:
    1- the HD5450 built in 40nm so it uses less power and generate lower heat. check here
    2- the HD5450 has better support for blueray and HD decoding and freeing your CPU resource, in case you wanted see HD movies on your PC.
  14. Just get the gddr2 version if you want to save and future shop is extremely overpriced.
  15. GailQ said:


    In Canada it would be Newegg.ca instead of Newegg.com !
  16. Duh! LOL Thanks so much. Going to check there now.
  17. You want to avoid a PCI-E 2.1 card in an older system as nforce stated early on in the thread. Both of the tigerdirect cards you linked are 2.1. The futureshop one is 2.0 but it is crazy expensive.
    Here is a 2.0 HD5450 on newegg.ca for $36 with a MIR to cover the shipping;
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102922
  18. Best answer selected by GailQ.
  19. jyjjy said:
    You want to avoid a PCI-E 2.1 card in an older system as nforce stated early on in the thread. Both of the tigerdirect cards you linked are 2.1. The futureshop one is 2.0 but it is crazy expensive.
    Here is a 2.0 HD5450 on newegg.ca for $36 with a MIR to cover the shipping;
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102922


    Thanks that's what I ordered and installed it and it's working great with no more problems. Hubby is happy that he can use google earth again! lol
  20. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product