Sony Laptop PCG-FRV28 dvd-rw drive upgrade

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 3:53:14 AM

Is there any upgrade for this drive? The one installed is a 1x DVD-R
and it is just too slow
November 17, 2008 6:44:58 PM

Dear expert,

Please, kindly help me to fix
the problem as the CD/DVD drive is not able to read the CD/DVD on Sony laptop(Model: PCG-FRV28) and drive model: Matsushita uj-810,
it always shows as blank CD and DVD though those CD and DVDs are good in condition and has content (files)
Since, it was working very good before updating to firmware (C104) and other updates from esupport.sony.com

It seems, the problem after installing the firmware from esupport.sony.com.

And, folowed as mentioning on
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do...

but, there was no luck,
eventhough removing the upper and lower filters from the registry
and performed system restore to factory installed state from hard drive version, too.

System details?

Sony laptop model: PCG-FRV28
CD/Drive: Matsushita uj-810

The driver details (files):
~ cdrom.sys
~ imapi.sys
~ PxHelp20.sys
~ redbook.sys
~ storprop.dll

Are you able to see any yellow exclamation or question mark next to the CD/DVD Drive in the Device Manager window?
>> NO

Is the CD/DVD Drive icon missing from the My Computer window?
>> NO

Are you getting any error messages?
>> Yes, it popups "I/O errors" and if I uncheck "Enable CD recording" by right click the drive in My Computer, Properties, Recording tab.
>> No, if, I check (enable) "Enable CD recording", then, there won't be any errors. But, it always, shows the CD or DVD as blank, though those have the files and in good condition.

Thanks alot in advance for your kind help or any information.

!