I7 2600k @ 90c temps need info/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

imortal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
hello, so i built a new rig about a month ago it games very well preforms great, with mostly low temps,

but then i go into Cinema 4D (3d renderer) and start rendering a animation i made, pretty low/avg settings
3 walls, few objects with reflections thats about it, no global illimation, and only very min anti-alasing (x2)
my temps are around 40-45 across all cores idle, then i turn on this to make a render

and everything shoots up to about 80-91c / 100% load is this normal? im very concenred, i made sure i seated it right when i built it using stock cooler, stock speeds and artic silver 5 (the silver might be a few years old dont know if that makes a diff)
(old as in old in its tube still, i dident jus slap a new cpu onto where a old one was, its a new system.)

Anyways hope someone knows about 3d-rendering programs and cpu heat that can help me out, heres my specs and a pic,

CPU| Core i7 2600k @ stock speeds /w stock cooler (x38 multiplier in bios witch is what it comes as)
MOBO| Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
RAM| GSkill ripjawsX @ stock speeds 1600mhz
VCARD| GTX 460@stock

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution
I wouldn't feed air from that AC straight into your PC. You don't want condensation building up inside your case.

I second other recommendations for a new CPU cooler. The stock cooler is junk. Also, when you take off the cooler make sure the paste was properly applied and covering your CPU. I'm guessing it probably isn't properly covering all parts of the CPU which is an issue I ran into when building my 2600k system. Arctic Silver's website has good instructions for applying thermal paste. What I did was lay a very thin layer, then dabbed a small rabbit turd size in the middle. Runs great even though I nicked my CPU cooler's mirror finish with the screw driver lol

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I'd start off by reseating your cooler, give it a proper clean and some new paste, make sure it's seated well (do NOT push directly down on the mobo when it's inside the case).

It might be the stock cooler but 90c+ still seems a bit excessive.

imortal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
@Bipedal Disaster i do have the core i7 book still, but i havent ever manually used core voltages just autos lil scarey to do that

@flaminggerbil when i 1st put it together it booted as 3.8ghz (x38 multiplier) that isent stock? or maybe its my mobo that just auto OCed it? and um, what other app should i run? cause crysis 2 cant even make it work past 20% load lol im guessing by another app your prob referring to a benchmark

@dontknownots yeah i have my XMP on to

@Epidot forgot to add somthing to my main post, that i have a http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1623&product_id=2922 from my old core2 duo do you think it would work for the i7? its says it will work on an i5 on there site

Also does anyone think with the temps posted in my SS that i would hurt the CPUS life to run it like that for 12 or so hrs?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

well it said

compatibility:

All Intel Socket 775/1155/1156 CPU
Intel Core™ 2
Intel Core™ i5
Intel Core™ i3
Intel Pentium
Intel Celeron

sandybridge i3, i5 and i7 have same physical dimension lol.

il'd say you can safely try since you already own it.

If there are something blocking the backplate just chip the backplate to make it fit.

yes it auto OC you cpu to speed appropriate for ram speed at 1600, but since you intend to change heatsink just leave the XMP as it as and use ram at rated speed.

dont expect magic performance thou, I think it should cap your temps at 60s or lower 70s

imortal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
@dontknownotsure

yeah that cooler is about 2yrs old i wouldent expect super great temps for it since it was before the 2600k's time(maybe?)
but it should def it help it fits i think, also do you think i should finish this render running at 90c id hate to stop it since takes forever but not if it kills my cpu life

about that cooler tho, do you think its not listed on there site because its not efficient enough to cool a i7?
because dident the i5s come out after the i7?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

not sure about that try asking the air cooling section or find bench graphs.

just dont run it at 90 for months on end lol.

imortal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
So i found out that im out of silver paste, so gana have to wait to re mount any cpu but for now i decided to make my own cpu cooler.....

i came up with this, room ac+duck tape+buck knife+boxs = nexus cooler 9000, it acctually lowered my temps by 10-15c LOL (and thos where the cpu temps to)

EDIT: wouldent recommend that unless you have a perfected design for optimal airflow otherwise youll ice over your AC in about 3hrs =\

imortal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

yeah i know it reqs alot from cpu but souldent be anywhere near 90c maybe 80max , i dono maybe it just not gitting full connectivty with the heatsink

case is fine lol, thats just a make-shift redneck cooler i made on the side but i accually might consider gitting a new case this ones the NZXT zero-2, but i dont like its airflow even tho it has 4 x140mm fans on the side there dosent seem to help much.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I wouldn't feed air from that AC straight into your PC. You don't want condensation building up inside your case.

I second other recommendations for a new CPU cooler. The stock cooler is junk. Also, when you take off the cooler make sure the paste was properly applied and covering your CPU. I'm guessing it probably isn't properly covering all parts of the CPU which is an issue I ran into when building my 2600k system. Arctic Silver's website has good instructions for applying thermal paste. What I did was lay a very thin layer, then dabbed a small rabbit turd size in the middle. Runs great even though I nicked my CPU cooler's mirror finish with the screw driver lol

Solution

imortal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
@dontknownots it was a 650 frames, 30 fps, 20 sec long animation really shouldent of demanded that much from the PC maybe the program just isent optimized for PCs i hear tons of mac users usually use C4D. haha divine powered, heck prob is LOL considering it dident blow up after 15 hours of being at 90c

@aaron88_7 yeah that was only a temp solution the AC dident like it either, it iced over the whole front grill lolz, one thing that i dont understand tho is how come theres tons of reviews out there for the 2600k people saying they OCed it to likle 4.6ghz /w the stock cooler, and they still get like 65-70c, but yet mine cant even go up to 3.8 without almost shutting down?

youd think id be fine with my full tower with x5 140mm intake fans and 2x 140mm outtakes?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

you can sand it until its shiny again

Status
Not open for further replies.